Project Runway?

BlueHerons

If I had been in Margarita's position, I would have "innocently" confronted Claire about her shirt design. No way would I sit there, fume, and have my own work distracted.

I agree. Margarita handled the whole thing poorly. And then the comment about not throwing anyone under the bus just made all the judges wonder what was going on.

Laura

Claire's design that she sent down the runway was significantly different from her original design. I am not sure why Margarita was still upset after Claire changed it.

Michael made two statements when he was talking with Margarita in Spanish. The first one said, "I went to the bathroom and the pants were there." I'm guessing that means the designers are not supposed to take the garments out of the workrooms and Claire did. (Although why Claire would take the pants to the bathroom is beyond me.:confused:)

He then said, "She has a measuring tape and she measures in her room." Haven't even a guess what that means.

I certainly hope the next episode lives up to the hype and not just one of those cases where things are not as dramatic as they imply in the previews.

Michael said in a snippet earlier in the episode...I think talking to the camera? that Claire had a pair of pants in her room that looked just like the pants she made. That they were in her wardrobe. That she was copying the design of those pants. For Michael, it had stopped being about the shirt and was all about the pants, I think.

I'm feeling pretty positive that the next episode is the one where we finally hear Tim talk about cheating.

IMO Kentaro should have won. He certainly had everyone's approval but Heidi's. Besides him, I much preferred the safe looks over anything on that final runway.

And, I agree, after Heidi said what a good job everyone did, someone pretty much trashed everything. Hard to call anything a top look.

Margarita was just weird this week. I expected Claire to be weird, but not the person coming off a win.

Boy, does Heidi light up like a Christmas tree whenever there is any hint of drama! It's kinda disgusting. Of course, as a producer, that's what she wants, but still...

I don't like the print challenge. Designing a print is not easy and the designers often seem to have problems with the fabric the prints come on. Then again, there is exactly one print in my closet. heh heh

IMO Kentaro should have won. He certainly had everyone's approval but Heidi's. Besides him, I much preferred the safe looks over anything on that final runway.

And, I agree, after Heidi said what a good job everyone did, someone pretty much trashed everything. Hard to call anything a top look.

Margarita was just weird this week. I expected Claire to be weird, but not the person coming off a win.

Boy, does Heidi light up like a Christmas tree whenever there is any hint of drama! It's kinda disgusting. Of course, as a producer, that's what she wants, but still...

I don't like the print challenge. Designing a print is not easy and the designers often seem to have problems with the fabric the prints come on. Then again, there is exactly one print in my closet. heh heh

I love prints, but, like you, I dislike the prints challenges. This last episode is a good example of why: the designers really seem to have no way of knowing what weight fabric they'll get (Kentaro mentioned that his fabric was too stiff), how the colors will translate from the computer design to the fabric (Margarita's problem this week) or what the repeat will be (Batani's issue). Not only that, in this episode (I can't remember if it was this way in past seasons) the designers went to Mood to buy supplementary fabric BEFORE they saw their finished prints! How can they successfully choose fabrics to supplement one they haven't seen yet?

And did anyone else notice that the cameras kept focusing in on the Dixie cups which were in the workroom, presumably holding the designers' beverages? They were printed with the Dixie cup little flower logo in bright green on a background of a wide black painterly diagonal stripe on white!! I couldn't figure out if that was a spoiler, or if Claire took her cue from the cups already in use, and as she has seemed to habitually do, ripped off the current Dixie cup design!! It was so strange -- I didn't know what to make of it.

I love prints, but, like you, I dislike the prints challenges. This last episode is a good example of why: the designers really seem to have no way of knowing what weight fabric they'll get (Kentaro mentioned that his fabric was too stiff), how the colors will translate from the computer design to the fabric (Margarita's problem this week) or what the repeat will be (Batani's issue).

Speaking from experience designing fabric, if they don't know the fabric or what the repeat will look like, etc., I fault the show and their handling of how they do it. While knowing accurately exactly what the colors will be is a little tough (it tends to be more dull printed than onscreen - but even that depends on the type of textile), there really is no reason for them not to have an idea of the fabric, since they should be able to have samples beforehand. Also, it's ridiculous that they don't know what the repeat will look like. When I make fabric designs, my program has a ruler on-screen. I know what the size is and once it's uploaded to Spoonflower, I can preview everything from 8" samples to yards.

I actually like the print challenge, though this one was a disappointment.

Michael said in a snippet earlier in the episode...I think talking to the camera? that Claire had a pair of pants in her room that looked just like the pants she made. That they were in her wardrobe. That she was copying the design of those pants. For Michael, it had stopped being about the shirt and was all about the pants, I think.

I'm feeling pretty positive that the next episode is the one where we finally hear Tim talk about cheating.

I don't know how Michael would know what's in Claire's room, unless one of the other women told him. And maybe I was overlooking something, but they looked like pants to me. Plain ol' pants. ;) I am not sure what she may have copied from a pair of pants she already owned, but they looked like just a pair of pants. If that's copying, then all of them are copying.

I don't know how Michael would know what's in Claire's room, unless one of the other women told him. And maybe I was overlooking something, but they looked like pants to me. Plain ol' pants. ;) I am not sure what she may have copied from a pair of pants she already owned, but they looked like just a pair of pants. If that's copying, then all of them are copying.

My impression was that the print was also part of the irritation about copying the pants...and that was upsetting because it is the print challenge. I haven't rewatched the episode yet though so I'm going off memory here and that's suspect. ;p I usually stream the next day and rewatch the episode on Thursday night.

My impression was that the print was also part of the irritation about copying the pants...and that was upsetting because it is the print challenge. I haven't rewatched the episode yet though so I'm going off memory here and that's suspect. ;p I usually stream the next day and rewatch the episode on Thursday night.

Ah, gotcha. If it is the print, that would be a problem. I didn't care for the all-black blob on one of the legs--wonder if it's like that on the possibly original pants.

There is the possibility that she was using her existing pants for patterning purposes. Which is strictly against the rules as we found out one other season where one of the designers was kicked out for having patterns in their room.... It's a bit no-no, and it sounds a bit suspicious if she was using her measuring tape on them.

There is the possibility that she was using her existing pants for patterning purposes. Which is strictly against the rules as we found out one other season where one of the designers was kicked out for having patterns in their room.... It's a bit no-no, and it sounds a bit suspicious if she was using her measuring tape on them.

Claire looks like she could be a similar size to her "model" so maybe she was measuring her own pants to take the easy way out. I don't remember who got kicked out for having patterns in their room - it might have been before I started watching PR.

I re-watched the show today. I didn't catch the first time around when Margarita was speaking in Spanish and they talked about her measuring pants from her closet. Now I know why they were so upset. (not to mention the blouse hack)

I remember the guy who had the patterns, that was quite a long time ago. And, he was doing really well and might have won, if he hadn't cheated.

I googled this to see who it was. For anyone who started watching later (like I did), here is a link to the story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Michael

Yay! It's Thursday! (finally!)

Now, leaving aside all the drama, I really didn't find Claire's design to be "all that" in the first place. Several of the other designs were more interesting and unique. Her pants were pants (yawn), her blouse was a blouse with cut-outs (double-yawn), and her print was, essentially, a copy of an existing Dixie design that was right there in view. Maybe the judges were just super impressed that she ended up being able to function without her shadow?

Yay! It's Thursday! (finally!)

Now, leaving aside all the drama, I really didn't find Claire's design to be "all that" in the first place. Several of the other designs were more interesting and unique. Her pants were pants (yawn), her blouse was a blouse with cut-outs (double-yawn), and her print was, essentially, a copy of an existing Dixie design that was right there in view. Maybe the judges were just super impressed that she ended up being able to function without her shadow?

I agree that Claire's outfit looked like something you could buy in lots of stores. Maybe the judges liked the way the pattern ran diagonally across the legs????? I thought Kentaro's outfit was unique and very pretty.

I found this blog today that featured an interview with Kenya. http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2017/10/12/kenya-freeman-mid-season-evaluation-of-project-runway/

SPOILER ALERT: if you haven't seen the show don't read further!

At first I thought she was going to be able to wiggle her way out of the accusations, but there were too many witnesses and the stories were so consistent. In the end, she admitted what she'd done with such defeat in her voice, she knew it was the end of the road for her. I can't believe that she thought she could cheat and get away with it because "It was only a tank!" :rolleyes:

More SPOILER:

Yup, happy to see the end of her, and so, it seems, were the other contestants!

While I agreed with the bottom 2, I was surprised that they were both sent packing. Top look? Eh. It was fine, but I thought it should have been Ayana's, as being translatable to a doll's fashion and being stylishly and completely avant garde.

What really bothered me about this episode was how bad Margarita and Michael felt because they exposed Claire's cheating. Why should they feel at all guilty? It was Claire's place to feel guilty, since it was her decision to cheat.

Having learned what was going on, I now I feel it is a shame that Shawn gave up her spot for her sister -- maybe Shawn wouldn't have made it much further anyway, but unless she was cheating too, at least she would have continued fairly.

What a waste, and in my opinion, a disgrace to her selfless sister Shawn for Claire to cheat and throw away what they both would have benefited greatly from if Claire had continued on in the competition within the rules, and possibly won.

Other contestants on the show and undoubtedly a lot of viewers didn't care for the twins' seeming haughtiness - I think it was that sort of attitude on Claire's part that undid her -- "It was only a tank" shows that she did not feel cheating was wrong because it was only a "little bit" of cheating. Looks like a sense of entitlement to me. To her credit, she did seem to express sincere regret for what she'd done, but as such sentiments often are in life, "too little too late..." I always wonder whether the regret in a circumstance like this is for having cheated, or having gotten caught...

Claire (and Shawn, too, by extension) paid a big price for "a little" cheating. Claire is very young; I hope she rises above this and learns a valuable lesson that she remembers and benefits from for the rest of her life. I especially hope she sees what her behavior cost Shawn.

In terms of my enjoyment of the show, I am glad to see them both gone. I echo Margarita's comments that the atmosphere in the workroom with the twins gone is so much more pleasant! I am not one of those people who watches this show for the drama!

I am as glad as the rest of you to see Claire gone, but the fake "Oh my goodness, we didn't know she'd be asked to leave the show" vibe from M & M was ridiculous. Blech. One of them actually said something like, "I had no idea that bringing this up would get her kicked off!" Then why bring it up? :rolleyes:

She cheated, you caught her, she got what she deserved. Cool. But own it.

I am as glad as the rest of you to see Claire gone, but the fake "Oh my goodness, we didn't know she'd be asked to leave the show" vibe from M & M was ridiculous. Blech. One of them actually said something like, "I had no idea that bringing this up would get her kicked off!" Then why bring it up? :rolleyes:

She cheated, you caught her, she got what she deserved. Cool. But own it.

I agree. By speaking up,what did the expect to happen? I doubt they feel that bad or why mention it the way they did? They knew by saying something on stage that she would be kicked off. Maybe now there can be less drama.

Laura