Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Kenley is bottom two.

rate_511_leanne.jpg

Leanne is her client, and her look is "Hip Hop".

Now, I do think that Kenley deserved to go home for this. But not because it's not Hip Hop. The judges and (hate to say it) Tim are oblivious on this one.

Here are very current Hip Hop looks and fashions from the past year...

d8dfef25c96ba88dd0ebac40e7218986.jpg

She's quite close and right on the current edge of Hip Hop with both her pants and her top.

(Not really the jacket).

Side note - this also shows me that she was completely "full of it" the other week when she was saying that she "doesn't look at other designer's collections". Bull-oney.

She has basically copied a few people's specific 2008 Hip Hop designer collections in her outfit!

So, my contradicting points here are this:

#1 Kenley was absolutely right on and cutting edge with the Hip Hop look.

#2 The judges are oblivious, and I don't even know how LL Cool J can call himself Hip Hop and not have seen this and corrected the judges.

#3 I absolutely think that Kenley should have been voted auf. Not because she did not design Hip Hop, but because her pants are terribly constructed and ill fitting. The top is also boring compared to the actual Hip Hop tops which have more flow and interesting cuts.

But, here is the thing with the producers at this point in the game.

They already know they want Korto and Leanne in the final two.

The rest are just show filler.

Since they know that there is no way that Suede or Kenley are winning this show, they keep Kenley simply for the drama.

Look at how many people are up in arms, and going to be watching even more next week. They want to see if Kenley can get even worse.

They also want to have some satisfaction in seeing her get voted auf.

It's just better TV. Otherwise, a lot of people might not even watch next week - figuring it's just Suede's time now.

That being said...

How cute was Leanne?!?! She really tried to work it at least on the runway, second only to Suede.

She and Korto looked extra cute to me this week (TV crush!):o

Suede is aufed!

rate_511_jerell.jpg

His client is Jerell, and his look is "Rock".

This is such an undeserved auffing.

You can't see it in the picture (and I don't think that the judges could see it from the runway), but these pants are absolutely impeccable!

The cross stitching, the design, the construction, the idea were all absolutely amazing.

He even asked the judges to walk up and look at them closely, which they didn't. Idjits.:mad:

This should have been over Kenley on the idea and especially construction alone. Look at some current Rock fashions, and tell me this does not fit in perfectly!

87e5bc2de689f225ad75306bb802f9ce.jpg

His pants are spot on. His vest idea is a current alternative between these vests and jackets. It was even a more fashion forward step in the construction.

These pants would be a HUGE seller in the current young men's Rock marketplace! Hot Topic or Lip Service or Rock and Republic need to call him now! This would be a top seller.

Sigh. Again, stupid judges. This is an every day Rock look for Jerell. Isn't that a good thing that Suede designed something that fits Rock and Jerell's personality and style so perfectly?

The challenge rules never said they had to design a Stage Outfit.

It sounds again, like they were looking for over the top "cliche", as that is all they know of Rock.

This was an impeccable, wearable, current Rock streetwear design.

Actually the most sellable in the real world.

Sorry Suede. You did not deserve to go this week.

So, in honor of you, Suede, here's your Fashion Week Collection...

I would wear the turquoise dress if it were a little longer. I would also wear the pink plaid (I think it is a dress but could be a two piece) but without the overskirt. I loved seeing all the designers with their hair and makeup done and Tim's reaction. It was a hoot.

And final comment for now...

I've done some little "artwork" of the possible final winner.

As I've done that, I'm thinking that Korto has the edge for the win.

Leanne is second.

I'm only going on what Bravo or Project Runway would want to publicize for the rest of history...

Look at this...

First winner is a "fluffy" gay man.

Second winner is an Asian woman.

Third winner is a Rock heterosexual man.

Fourth winner is a "young" gay man.

What looks like the best final Five Season's Winners to you?

Korto

2f3461e8add26c4203d882d2a05b443e.jpg

Leanne

bb766a9694e9280308b4b49b68935dc2.jpg

Jerell

d516b5737309ff80e642a28fd8cfe03b.jpg

What do you think of my "theory"?

That's it for now!

Comment away.

I can't believe that this week with the least amount of "designs" had the most amount of work for me to put together, in order to comment intelligently!

Sheesh!

Enjoy!

Suede's outfits are all too twee for my taste.

So, CJW, you say you liked the challenge but I gather you really thought the judging as off. Or the instructions. Or both.

I just don't see the point of designing for another contestant when that person (personality/attitude/whatever) had nothing to do with the design you create. Why not stick with the models?

All the work was so literal. And largely boring. But this has been a particularly boring season.

I was glad to see the examples of hip hop CJW posted. Not at all what I would have thought. Obviously the way the hip hop (and related styles) dancers I've been seeing on 'So You Think You Can Dance" aren't dressing the look. It's all hoodies and the like.

Leanne is third.

rate_511_korto.jpg

Her client is Korto, and her look was "Country".

I like this. I think that she has made Korto look really cute, sexy, and this is so very flattering on her body.

She looks a dress size smaller than she normally does, yet it shows off all of her wonderful feminine curves.

Now, she designed for a more casual look. She specifically did not do an over the top stage outfit. She specifically didn't want this to look "too costume-y".

But the judges apparently wanted more Dolly Parton, as I guess that's all they know about country. Sigh.

There are quite a few more conservative country stars that would wear this for a day look, or a red carpet country award.

Not the best, but definitely the judges missed the mark in their comments and it wasn't as bad as they thought it was.

As someone who lives in a place where country is king, I so agree. This outfit was a very flattering silhouette for Korto. Plus I could totally see this being worn in several different "country music" settings.

A lot of these could be good for cruises...

Does anyone see any that they might wear (minor changes allowed;)) on a cruise?

I need to go with None of the above .. although Korto has designed some things through the season that would be Fabulous on the high seas !!

I have to admit that Suede sort of grew on me over the season (not his use of the third person, but he had a kind of lovable enthusiasm), and I agree that he was auf'd unfairly this week. Much as the judges -- bless their hearts -- like to say that people are judged solely on the merits of that week's challenge, I doubt they can be that objective, and I think they felt it was Suede's turn.

Having said that, his collection did not appeal to me at all. Not a fan of all the pinks and turquoises. Looks like he was maybe hanging out with Blayne too long. ("It was fabulicious!!!:eek:")

Suede's Runway pieces are awful, in my opinion.

The pink striped dress with the white ruffle looks like old fashioned Ribbon Candy. And the white dress, short in front, long in back looks like it should cost $29.99 ...yuck.

As those of us who work on 7th Ave say, "I can visualize them on the mark down rack now!". :D

Curt, I think your photoshop of winners is spot on and the producers are definitely into showing themselves "policially correct and diversified". <barf> The three finalists all neatly fit into a "never had one of these before" possible winners. Leanne - the first caucasian woman, Korto - the first black woman, and Jerell - the first black man.

Joe's runway show was fabulous. I always thought he had a lot of talent.

All the work was so literal. And largely boring. But this has been a particularly boring season.

I wonder if the show is partly a victim of its own success. Most of the people on the show are actual designers with aspirations of getting somewhere in the fashion industry (if they haven't already....and some of them have). They are smart enough to have watched past seasons and probably don't want to come off as the "spoiled brat" or the "temperamental diva" or whatever, because that might hurt their future chances of a job....

I wonder if the show is partly a victim of its own success. Most of the people on the show are actual designers with aspirations of getting somewhere in the fashion industry (if they haven't already....and some of them have). They are smart enough to have watched past seasons and probably don't want to come off as the "spoiled brat" or the "temperamental diva" or whatever, because that might hurt their future chances of a job....

I don't think Kenley got that memo !!

I've been feeling guilty about dissing the last challenge (Thanks, CJW). So I will do on-line as I do in life (never criticize unless you have an alternative to offer) and make suggestions for alternative challenges . They might be lame, too, to others but I'd like them.

1. Design man's office attire for the year 2080 (arbitrary date just well into future).

2. Design a day wear outfit inspired by a famous woman (button bag choices such as Amelia Earheart, Pocahontas, Catherine the Great, etc.)

3. Design formal wear inspired by the dress of a particular era (another button bag choice with things like Renaissance, Ancient Egypt, Ming China, etc.)

4. Design the dress Audrey Hepburn would want to wear today.

5. Design an outfit inspired by your favorite TV program (besides PR).

As you can see, I like "inspired by" challenges. That's how most collections come about. I would just try to make them a little more out there (2 and 3).

In the past some of my favorite things have been the "inspired by" challenges from pictures they took and paintings. I would have liked the last challenge more if it had been inspired by a particular piece of music rather than a genre. That would require more thinking and interpretation and would not have led to such generic looks IMHO.

Have any of you thought of challenges you would like to see?

3. Design formal wear inspired by the dress of a particular era (another button bag choice with things like Renaissance, Ancient Egypt, Ming China, etc.)

Love this idea!!

Since this is a cruise board, do another travel inspired episode this time sponsored by a cruiseline requiring them to design an outfit for a cruise.:D

I've been feeling guilty about dissing the last challenge (Thanks, CJW). So I will do on-line as I do in life (never criticize unless you have an alternative to offer) and make suggestions for alternative challenges . They might be lame, too, to others but I'd like them.

1. Design man's office attire for the year 2080 (arbitrary date just well into future).

2. Design a day wear outfit inspired by a famous woman (button bag choices such as Amelia Earheart, Pocahontas, Catherine the Great, etc.)

As you can see, I like "inspired by" challenges. That's how most collections come about. I would just try to make them a little more out there (2 and 3).

In the past some of my favorite things have been the "inspired by" challenges from pictures they took and paintings. I would have liked the last challenge more if it had been inspired by a particular piece of music rather than a genre. That would require more thinking and interpretation and would not have led to such generic looks IMHO.

LOL! I love these!

And to get back to you and some of the other posters before...

See, with a lot of these challenges, I think that they are good ideas - but the producers don't follow through with the final details to make them great.

I liked the idea of this challenge, because of the musical inspiration challenge.

Their only problem with it, is that they needed to go further like you are suggesting.

Musical inspiration for what type of outfit? Formal wear? Stage outfit? Costume? Streetwear?

The looks were more "toned down" because the judges have been hitting the contestants over the head all season with not being "cliche".

That's a cliche business outfit. That's a cliche cocktail dress, etc.

So, on this challenge they wanted out there, over the top, cliches (apparently) and never expressed that completely to any of the designers.

So they all held back, and tried to tone down the cliches somewhat.

And I know exactly what you mean when the major designers do collections from specific inspirations, but then they are really specific.

Marlene Detrich as a "spy" in a specific 1940s movie.

You don't get much more specific than that.

Michales Kors did a line on a rich socialite woman who moved to Tropics in the 50s (?) and based it on that specific time period in her life.

That's really specific.

It's that one more step of specific that the producers leave dangling out there, that takes it a step down the excitement level.

Suede specifically did a fantastic everyday streetwear Rock look. Very saleable. And, really and truly think about it...

Isn't that the best, more flattering, non-what-was-Jerell-thinking, that Jerell has looked the entire season!?!?

Suede dressed Jerell better than Jerell dresses himself!

Then regarding dressing other people (not the models)...

I see it as the fact that if you become a super successful designer, you will end up expanding and having to design other things.

Menswear. Sportswear. Purses. Shoes. Belts. Tshirts.

Who knows. These challenges are what that idea is about.

Also, another aspect (that the producers completely missed in this challenge) that you all might have enjoyed more...

Have them design a specific Red Carpet or Stage look for a certain music group or singer! (Even if the person is not there, and they just use the models). More specific.

This is important in a certain way, as nowadays upcoming designers really get noticed and get their name out there if they design for celebrities.

It's the best PR they can get. So for example, if Leanne gets a sudden call from Reba MacIntyre to dress her for a performance or an awards show - she needs to be able to hit it out of the park.

If Korto suddenly gets a call to design an outfit for Johnny Rotten's lifetime achievement award for the Grammy's - she needs to be able to get it right!

And really looking at it, I totally agree with the non-excitement for Suede's collection. Not much there at all.

Joe's is really great and wearable in comparison!

I do think that this season has been "boring", because they're not having crazy drama situations (although the one week that they did - the team up week) they completely edited all the craziness out!:confused:

So I think it's a producer choice/fault more than anything.

Finally I really think this is one of the strongest group of designers as a whole. Look at them as a group compared to Season One or Two.

They had a few strong designers, then a bunch of fillers.

I'd say of this group - Leanne, Korto, Jerell, Joe and Terri are all extremely strong designers. All could have won (under the right combination of circumstances) in past seasons.

I'll check back later (next week) to see if I've missed any comments.

:D

Sea Bunny, I love your ideas too. Maybe Lifetime should have a viewer poll for challenge suggestions . . .

I especially agree with the menswear challenge ala the Tiki Barber challenge last season. Those designers were terrified :eek: of menswear, so in my perverse mind, I think they should HAVE to do menswear. (evil laughter here) Same thing for women's pants or suits -- seems like 90 percent of them "only do dresses".

How about designing new home-and-away uniforms for some professional football team?!? And have to measure those big huge linemen. That would be a hoot.

As for Suede, as someone said earlier, I really liked him and he had a good attitude about everything. My favorite thing in his Bryant Park show was that light turquoise dress - very pretty. The other stuff was just kind of boring.

Always enjoy seeing everyone's comments! Kellie