Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Wow.....last night's show was everything that I like about Project Runway. Yay!! Loved the challenge and loved DVF. I think Leann deserved the win; so glad she listened to Tim (isn't he always right???) about the jacket.

I watched this late last night (second showing at 11pm) and honestly can't remember if Korto was 2nd or 3rd. I really liked her outfit; if she wasn't 2nd, I think she should've been. Kenley's simple dress was well constructed, yes, but it was.....simple. Korto's just looked more DVF, to me anyway.

(.....and such the drama over Kenley's dress; really people! :rolleyes: )

As to the bottom two, I could've seen either of them getting auf'd based on their design for the challenge. I suppose Joe has had much better offerings in other challenges so I think he was spared.

Hi Cynthia:) I agree with you about Joe....I think Stella never

got it....and it was time for her to go.

And I also think Stella doesn't care that she is gone

(just my opinion).

I really liked this challenge. I kind of wish they would've gotten two days to do it, but the end result was pretty good. My husband walked by when they had the top and bottom three on the runway, and I said "I totally want that dress" when Leanne's was shown. (I could wear it on formal night for my next cruise :p ). Sooo happy she won.

I'm happy that miss leathah is gone too. She made for some interesting shows, but she was very one-noted. And, while I agree that Joe's outfit was a bit of a disaster, he's been decent throughout the show and shouldn't have been auf'd this week.

Now, hopefully Blayne is next...:D

I also think Terri needs to branch out from the pant. She does them well, for the most part, but there is little variety to her design. It could come back and bite her in the future.

So another good episode, and some actual real world design challenge!

Diane von Furstenberg (DVF) is the mentor and guest judge this week.

Her Fall 2008 collection has been inspired by the film "A Foreign Affair"

de06f43e12eee8fe8993b80607e7f645.jpg

A 1940s film starring Marlene Dietrich, as a spy.

The challenge is to basically design one more piece that will fit into the DVF collection. The winner's design will also be sold exclusively under the DVF label for American Express and charity proceeds.

To start they get to essentially "raid" the leftovers of Diane's fabric storage room. They are only allowed 10 yards total, in whatever combination they want.

Great challenge, and in one way I would have liked to have seen this earlier to see what some of the aufed designers would have done (Kelli, Keith, Daniel) - but at the same time, at this level they need to really show their own design feel and "own it", so there are only a few here that are really up to this challenge.

As usual, please hold comments until I've posted all of the pictures.

Thanks in advance, and here we go...

And Leanne wins again!

rate_leanne_508.jpg

And so you know I'm personally thrilled. This deserved the win.

It fits the theme and DVF collection perfectly, while at the same time including a feel of "Leanne" with her sculptural elements.

This jacket alone could be made in several different fabrics and work from dressy to jeans.

The dress itself is impeccable, yet interesting at the same time.

What a great cruise dress! And could work for several different sizes and body types.

Here it is, if anyone wants to actually order it - pay attention to how incredible this is from every single angle!

http://inside.dvf.com/americanexpress/home.php

I am so glad that she didn't get aufed that second episode, as she is really fulfilling her talent potential as the show continues.

I really want to see her collection.

Kenley is second.

rate_kenley_508.jpg

And as much as she desperately wanted this win, these next two are all so far behind for the second and third place for me. It's not even close (to Leanne's).

This is a very simple, but really well constructed dress. It almost looks simpler than it is - but not anywhere near as amazingly designed as Leanne's.

So a respectable second place.

Another cute cruise dress.

Korto is third.

rate_korto_508.jpg

And I'm okay with this being third place. It's not quite 100% working, although I'm getting just nit picky here (as were the judges).

I'm fully expecting to see Korto at the final runway collections show.

First of all the jacket is awesome. Totally cool. Any woman into the forties would do great to have both Leanne's and Korto's jackets in her closet.

The dress is beautiful (and another great cruise dress) with two exceptions.

I think the yellow straps at the top, either needed to be gone completely (just leave the black and white print stripes) - or commit to it and make them more shoulders or part of the dress. It just looks a tiny bit like, are those supposed to be showing or not?

Then the other problem, why I would have been shocked if this won - is that Diane von Furstenburg has at least one (and actually three) dresses that have been featured in that American Express commercial for months and months now, that look almost identical. Not exact, but too close. It would be useless and redundant in the collection.

Why buy this dress from Korto, when you can already get a better designed one from Diane?

Why should Diane choose that to be in her collection?

She liked it, and smiled, because she thought "I have to like it, because it's reminiscent of me"!

Check that commercial next time, and you'll see the dress.

;)

Terri is midpack/safe.

rate_terri_508.jpg

This was really stunning, and I could have seen this in second or third place.

I think that the other designers might be getting jealous, or harping on her increasingly diva attitude. She really does not do the same thing over and over. She makes pants incredibly well, and they are difficult! Check out Sleathah's pants later on here, if you don't believe me.

They are also cut differently and fit differently for each fabric.

And for example last week the pants were the focus, this week the pants were just the frame for that great top and jacket.

This fit the collection so well, I was surprised it wasn't higher up.

If she had chosen this fabric print instead (directly from DVF collection)

00290m.jpg

It would have worked perfectly.

[COLOR=Navy]Jerell
[img]http://www.bravotv.com/widgets/bin/gallery/cache/e315f74664a59d9aa13914bdb3ce8138/watermark/rate_jerell_508.jpg[/img]
This was okay. I think that each part worked best separately, but not quite together. The jacket was cool on it's own. Probably could have been really cute over a feminine cut "tuxedo" pant and shirt.
The dress was better on it's own. That fit better into Diane's collection.
So the two not quite working together, is really what put this "off", and down a few points.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Blayne
[img]http://www.bravotv.com/widgets/bin/gallery/cache/e315f74664a59d9aa13914bdb3ce8138/watermark/rate_blayne_508.jpg[/img]
And he suffered from the same thing as Jerell. The pieces were better on their own, and not quite working together.
I really do like this jacket and the ascot underneath.
I'm not a fan of the pants, but if he had styled it with some feminine aviator boots or equestrian boots, it could have really evoked a 1940s spy feel much better. Probably could have used a solid color, and more substantial fabric (not so light and flow-y).
Pants more like this from Derercuny collection...
[img]http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/S2008RTW/DERER/RUNWAY/00210m.jpg[/img]
or these from Nina Ricci...
[img]http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/S2008RTW/NRICCI/RUNWAY/00150m.jpg[/img]
Just a matter of time now, for his housecleaning.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Suede
[img]http://mt41-blogs.bravotv.com/bravotv/rate_508_suede.jpg[/img]
And to me this was just a hot mess. Not pretty, not attractive. Not cohesive, and just ugly.
I think this could have been a contender for an aufing if others were not so much worse. I think this lack of any concept, should have placed this one lower.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Joe is bottom two!
[img]http://www.bravotv.com/widgets/bin/gallery/cache/e315f74664a59d9aa13914bdb3ce8138/watermark/rate_joe_508.jpg[/img]
And while I think he deserved to be in the bottom three, he should have been one place higher.
Why? The concept is there. The interesting thought it there. The execution was poor, and the pieces don't really work together.
But that top was cute/cool on it's own. Would have been really cute and sexy with that open back on a cruise.
The hoodie jacket is cute with the bright pink inside. But again, better on it's own and separate.

I do think that his days are numbered though, as I think he is inconsistent. One week he does well, the other not so much.
Thank the lawd that Nina wasn't there, because she would not have been able to see past the slightly off back of the dress (you know she gets narrow-minded like that. Can't see the design potentials through any minor construction issues)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]And so our favorite little Sleathah is aufed!
[img]http://www.bravotv.com/widgets/bin/gallery/cache/e315f74664a59d9aa13914bdb3ce8138/watermark/rate_stella_508.jpg[/img]
And deservedly so...
Just when I was starting to find her personality not so grating.
I do like her personal attitude, but all she has designed are biker vests and pants for almost every challenge. Just in different fabrics.
So the concept was old tired and extremely boring at this point in the competition.
And the execution was so poor, that this lovely model looked like she was packing heat in the front of her terribly tailored pants.
For someone who has done pants so much, this was inexcusable.
Again, check the tailoring and fit of these, compared to all of Terri's.

So, sorry little Sleathah. We'll see you at the reunion.
[/COLOR]

Leanne's dress is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS...it looks perfect from every angle.:) Cruise wear all the way. It could be worn for ANY black tie affair anywhere.

Did I actually hear, in next week's highlights, something about a dress pooing fabric? Thought that was a once in a lifetime occurrence.:p

[quote name='Curt Jerome Wild'][COLOR=navy]There you go! Comment away![/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]All in all a good challenge, and enjoyable episode.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]Any dresses that you would personally like to wear on a cruise?!?![/COLOR]
:D[/quote]

If I could have it a bit longer in the length...I would
love to wear Kenly's dress:)
I would feel more comfortable with it below my knees but
hey, that is just me.
Its a very pretty dress and I would love to try it on.:)

[quote name='Curt Jerome Wild']
[COLOR=navy]Then the other problem, why I would have been shocked if this won - is that Diane von Furstenburg has at least one (and actually three) dresses that have been featured in that American Express commercial for months and months now, that look almost identical. Not exact, but too close. It would be useless and redundant in the collection. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]Why buy this dress from Korto, when you can already get a better designed one from Diane?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]Why should Diane choose that to be in her collection?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]She liked it, and smiled, because she thought "I have to like it, because it's reminiscent of me"![/COLOR]
[COLOR=navy]Check that commercial next time, and you'll see the dress.[/COLOR]
;)[/quote]

I totally thought the same thing last night. They showed the commercial at least twice, and the first time I didn't notice. Later in the show, when I knew what she was doing, I thought it was good but it better not win because it is just like the print of the dress in the commercial. Still a good dress, but she was more or less duplicating work.

I do have to agree that when it comes to the pants, Terri's are way better fit and tailored than Stella's were. I guess I just get bored with pants (don't ask me why, I don't know).:rolleyes:

To be honest, I think the thing that bothers me most about Terri (and don't get me wrong, I like most of what she has designed) is the prints she uses for her tops. But that is just personal preference.

I would really like everyone to [I]have[/I] to create a dress for something (like the couture challenge in Paris a couple seasons ago) just to see how she does with it.

I actually liked Korto's best, and since I rarely pay attention to commercials, I did not make the connection.

That said, I just took a peek at the fall 2008 lookbook (which the contestants were also given) and the long dress in that same fabric was just blatantly out there for all to see.

So why not either make a long dress out of a different fabric or use that paricular fabric in a different way? Seems like she brought this "loss" upon herself.

[IMG]http://www.bravotv.com/widgets/bin/gallery/cache/e315f74664a59d9aa13914bdb3ce8138/watermark/rate_terri_508.jpg[/IMG]

[B][COLOR=seagreen][I]This is a bit confusing for me .. so I am just gonna ask .. while I agree that Sleathah's pants were ill fitted .. Do these really look like they fit well to you ... that v in the leg creases just turns me completely off these ..[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#2e8b57][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#2e8b57]However .. gutsy to design pants for DVF anyway .. I love the look of those that she designs[/COLOR][/I][/B]

[quote name='KLLund'][IMG]http://www.bravotv.com/widgets/bin/gallery/cache/e315f74664a59d9aa13914bdb3ce8138/watermark/rate_terri_508.jpg[/IMG]

[B][COLOR=seagreen][I]This is a bit confusing for me .. so I am just gonna ask .. while I agree that Sleathah's pants were ill fitted .. Do these really look like they fit well to you ... that v in the leg creases just turns me completely off these ..[/I][/COLOR][/B]

[B][I][COLOR=#2e8b57]However .. gutsy to design pants for DVF anyway .. I love the look of those that she designs[/COLOR][/I][/B][/quote]

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]I agree with you. The pants look like they'd be [B]very[/B] uncomfortable.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]I thought there was a comment made by the judges about the fit in this area...I just can't remember if the comment was made about this pair of pants or the pair made by Stella :confused: .[/COLOR][/SIZE]