Opinions for cursing to Alaska in 2019

matthewthamm

Looking for opinions on which lines and itineraries offer the best experience. Northbound/Southbound? Round trip from Vancouver/Seattle.

We have minimal past passenger standing (2 cruises each) on Carnival, and Royal. And are also past passengers on Princess and Holland.

Are looking to book in the next two weeks, as we are just off a Carnival trip, and have some savings available there.

Thanks

Edited by matthewthamm
Add subscription

There are plenty of options for cursing in Alaska...

As to cruising, some research down the board will find dozens of threads asking essentially the same questions. "Best" is a very vague term and means many different things to different people. As you have experience with various cruise lines, which do you think "best" met your needs. All of those cruise lines sail in Alaska.

Some reading will also reveal that Glacier Bay is an important destination, but not all routes and cruise lines go there. Royal Caribbean doesn't go to Glacier Bay, and if Carnival does it is very limited. Princess and HAL go there the most.

I second CruiserBruce's comment about Glacier Bay. Making sure it was on the itinerary was the recommendation given to me 11 years ago when planning our first (and we assumed only) Alaska cruise. We loved it then and again on our 2012 cruise when we went with my 3 siblings and spouses to introduce them to Alaska. This summer we'll be taking our two adult kids, their spouses and our granddaughter and we're doing Glacier Bay again both for them (all first time visitors to Alaska) and for us since we never tire of it.

I would also encourage you, if time and budget permit, to include a cruise tour (or do it yourself tour) that goes to Denali National Park. The train ride is magnificent and Denali is unlike any other National Park I've visited. As to which direction to cruise, we did our first two tours from Vancouver (spending an extra day or two in Vancouver) to Whittier on Princess. I prefer to take the non stop flight first and then the full day of travel returning from Anchorage that necessitates a change of planes. This year we are doing a round trip out of Seattle because it is easier (2 non stop flights) on the granddaughter who is only 3 1/2.

All of our Alaska cruises have been on Princess. They have a first rate program in Alaska both on the ship (a naturalist is on the ship, National Park Service rangers on board for Glacier Bay Day, and they bring on locals at many of the ports) and if you chose to do a cruise tour with them. They have been in the Alaska cruise business for decades and have their own lodges and their own train cars.

There are plenty of options for cursing in Alaska...

As to cruising, some research down the board will find dozens of threads asking essentially the same questions. "Best" is a very vague term and means many different things to different people. As you have experience with various cruise lines, which do you think "best" met your needs. All of those cruise lines sail in Alaska.

Some reading will also reveal that Glacier Bay is an important destination, but not all routes and cruise lines go there. Royal Caribbean doesn't go to Glacier Bay, and if Carnival does it is very limited. Princess and HAL go there the most.

Very true. In fact I was cursing in Alaska this morning!

You will find rave reviews about Alaska, and some very strong "must dos". I do not agree, and find keeping an open mind, with searching beneficial. There is NO perfect cruise, and I never think the single day of Glacier Bay, the ONLY choice to make- again, which some posters will proclaim. :) I think looking at the entire itinerary also important.

So, a suggestion- is to first find out about the ports, look up each one and determine- your interests and what you would choose for activities, if you go there. There are only 6 inside passage ports. This can be significant n cutting down the "list". Keep in mind, port times, and seasons. Some tours are very specific. There are 4/5 scenic glacier sailing, areas that are usually sailed. Determine what YOUR priority is? IF you are really interested, and are going to Alaska for "glaciers" primarily- then I'd also suggest, stacking the deck and including multiple opportunities- eg- a Prince William Sound boat tour (one way Princess), Kenai Fjords boat tour- HAL, Celebrity, NCL, RCI. Glacier tours as well. I am not an advocate of , single opportunities, more is always superior.

Time is essential with mainland touring. Consider adding at least 5 days with one way cruises.

Round trip Seattle, will be noted to be sloppy seconds, by some people, I again, disagree. It can be a perfect and enjoyable choice.

A major caution I will mention, are some of the claims. Alaska is always changing and there is no- "same". You will find- infrequent visitors, making assumptions based on their trips that isn't an "always". This happens with whale tours sometimes as example. :)

There are many many options. knowledge is essential- for finding your direction. Other's information - first hand- is very worthwhile to consider, but avoid narrowing ideas down, initially.. Great trips happen with thought and fine tuning. Keep reworking ideas, and don't jump into decisions perhaps.

Good luck.

Thoughts....

• Holland America and Princess offers the most sailings to Glacier Bay for the best glacier viewing experience
  • which month? May for cheap, June for daylight, July for warmth, August gets wet w/ wildlife, or September discounts for storm chasing?
  • Vancouver for the calm South Inside Passage experience? Seattle for airline savings? Fly into Seattle and bus/train/ferry to Vancouver to see more of the North West? Vancouver deserves a few sightseeing days to enjoy the tourist activities.

To keep it simple. Does Carnival sail round trip from Vancouver? It would have the best scenic cruising inside Vancouver Island. Glacier Bay is great. Northbound or Southbound to/from Vancouver are also great.

Thanks all for the input. I too, have cursed Alaska. :-) Especially in February. When it is 40 below.

Just a little more information about us. I had the opportunity to live in Fairbanks for four years. ('82-'86). I went to school and graduated from the University in Fairbanks during that time.

So the interior is a fond memory. We did spend a few days in Denali during that time, also.

I have started my research and winnowing. With that being said, I am favoring a Northbound or a Southbound itinerary, to include the glaciers/fjords.

We have not sailed on Princess in many years, but understand they have a good product. And are leaning that way.

Again, thanks for the input. Keep those opinions coming.

I took the Carnival Legend from Vancouver to Alaska to Seattle last year and it was lovely. Booked an Oceanview cabin so we got the views without the cold. Would do it again.

Pointed my camera out the window for some timelapse, here's just some of what we saw

[YOUTUBE]B2hfJNxfF-8[/YOUTUBE]

It's very confusing. I read posts and reviews, and tried to get it straight about inside passage and outside passage- it all made my head spin! So we gave up, picked the dates that worked best for us, and Carnival because we'll have 2 kids with us, and Carnival does a great job with the kids programs. We've always enjoyed Carnival, and we're past cruisers (which doesn't actually get you very much except a different color sign and sail card!) As I always tell people who are going to Europe to do 15 cities in 16 days- don't think of it as your ONLY trip- think of it as your FIRST trip. You can always go back and do the parts you missed.

Edited by Gypsymimi

It's very confusing. I read posts and reviews, and tried to get it straight about inside passage and outside passage- it all made my head spin! So we gave up, picked the dates that worked best for us,

That is what we winded up doing also. Date, picked. Line, picked (Royal,as we had a few cruises under our belt). Refundable deposit made. Now waiting for the airlines to open.

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.