Which scooter to purchase

why cant you rent a mobility scooter from one of the recommended renters of the cruise line?  i rent all the time. dont need a scooter at home. i really dont walk far enough to warrant purchasing one. and now the supermarkets and some stores have the scooters. i can tell you what i dont like. yes, the scooter is light weight. but i dont like that its two pcs. 

Edited by 1threadshort
added something

Billteeg, thanks so much for your review of fold and go. I have been looking at both scooters and fold n go for my DH, who's a big guy and you recent post in February was extremely helpful. Will be deciding in the months to come. Appreciate it! Happy Sails.

I recently joined this website and I am hopeful that people can help me.  I have an upcoming cruise and I thought about getting a light weight mobility scooter to help me get around.  So far most of the posts I see are fairly old and I wanted to get an updated opinion of some of the new mobility scooters I see on the market.  I have looked at Travelscoot but I quickly rejected this as a option because I found it very difficult (almost impossible for me) to collapse. I also looked at Smartscoot which looks better but has a strange battery mounting system and does not seem to have the weight capacity I need.  

The new one I saw that interest me is HandyScoot.  I haven't had the opportunity to personally see or use this mobility scooter yet but looking at the scooter on the website (Handyscoot.com) it seems to have more storage space, a little faster than other scooters, a nifty system to collapse and lift it and most of all has a higher weight capacity.  

My question to the forum does anyone have an opinion or comments about the Handyscoot mobility scooter?

I have thought about renting a scooter but given my situation I thought that having a scooter for potential ever day use (beyond cruising) is getting necessary.  Of course whatever scooter i buy needs to work 'around town' as well as on a cruise.  My criteria is it must be light weight (easy to lift and handle), have some on board storage, easy to collapse and store, long lasting battery (something that will travel several miles), be fairly fast (faster than walking speed), can handle 250lbs+, and comfortable!!  I am thinking that a 3 wheel scooter fits these requirements best but does anyone have any suggestions?

2 hours ago, TFhs said:

I recently joined this website and I am hopeful that people can help me.  I have an upcoming cruise and I thought about getting a light weight mobility scooter to help me get around.  So far most of the posts I see are fairly old and I wanted to get an updated opinion of some of the new mobility scooters I see on the market.  I have looked at Travelscoot but I quickly rejected this as a option because I found it very difficult (almost impossible for me) to collapse. I also looked at Smartscoot which looks better but has a strange battery mounting system and does not seem to have the weight capacity I need.  

The new one I saw that interest me is HandyScoot.  I haven't had the opportunity to personally see or use this mobility scooter yet but looking at the scooter on the website (Handyscoot.com) it seems to have more storage space, a little faster than other scooters, a nifty system to collapse and lift it and most of all has a higher weight capacity.  

My question to the forum does anyone have an opinion or comments about the Handyscoot mobility scooter?

Google “Verve Scooter”

I am also looking at buying a scooter for cruising and for short trips at home.  All the fold and go type scooters seem to weigh over 50 pounds minimum which I cannot possibly pick up to put in our auto.  Researching further, I see that a Pride Go Go scooter comes apart in individual lighter pieces.  Anyone have opinions on Pride?

I've been usuing a Tzora, Lexis Light for years.  It is collapsible, under 50#, and can easily be broken down into 3 pieces.

It has been very dependable and very fast.  The greatest advantage to me is that it is quality made in Israel instead of some third world backwater.  Most nowadays are made in those third world countries in sweat shops with  people working for slave wages.  The employees have no desire to make a quality product.  Scooters are made with cheap and flimsy parts that break easily and often times cannot be replaced.

If you're going to be travelling with a scooter,  it better be dependable.  Choose wisely!

My husband has been using the Tzora Light for many years now.  In fact, he is on his second one because he wanted to try the 3 wheel instead of the 4 wheel to see if the turning was easier.

We been all over the world with his Tzora.   It is light, very comfortable with a full size seat that had padding and arms, and we even bought the 7 lb. batteries for it.  They cost a lot but if you have to lift it in and out of a car then they are worth it.   

Another advantage is that it uses a key to start and has forward and reverse gears.

As stated above, it is made in Isreal and is very good quality. 

12 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

My husband has been using the Tzora Light for many years now.  In fact, he is on his second one because he wanted to try the 3 wheel instead of the 4 wheel to see if the turning was easier.

We been all over the world with his Tzora.   It is light, very comfortable with a full size seat that had padding and arms, and we even bought the 7 lb. batteries for it.  They cost a lot but if you have to lift it in and out of a car then they are worth it.   

Another advantage is that it uses a key to start and has forward and reverse gears.

As stated above, it is made in Isreal and is very good quality. 

Likewise.  I'm on my second Lexis and I love the lighter battery.  I have never exhausted it, even in running around all day in foreign ports.

If you look, there are many bargains out there including free shipping and many extra (free)  accessories on this model.

On 3/15/2019 at 7:22 PM, gadaboutgal said:

I am also looking at buying a scooter for cruising and for short trips at home.  All the fold and go type scooters seem to weigh over 50 pounds minimum which I cannot possibly pick up to put in our auto.  Researching further, I see that a Pride Go Go scooter comes apart in individual lighter pieces.  Anyone have opinions on Pride?

I also decided that I don't want to buy anything this heavy.  Besides, I am somewhat mobile and I just need assistance to get around.  I don't want to always bother my wife or friends to take me places and help me get around.  So, I bought the HandyScoot ..... this scooter is great and is well engineered.  It is light and easy to handle with the heaviest part on 28 lbs.  Fits in my car truck  no problem.  Very stable(adjustable wheel base) and quick (three different speeds...I did not want to move like a snail).  Finally, it is comfortable to ride and has great travel range (many miles).  It fits my life style perfectly and gives me the freedom I did not have.  You may want to check it out on their website if you have similar needs to mine.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, TFhs said:

I have just googled 'fold and go' to see what this one is like.  From what I see this a powered wheel chair and not a mobility scooter.  Is this correct?  

Correct. My husband rented a scooter and then bought one of these chairs. He is thrilled with it! Much better than the scooter. Turns on a dime, less space taken up in elevator, comfortable to sit at a table or in the theatre, can put aside if he wants to sit in a dining chair or theatre seat, batteries are only 6 pounds (3 each) to make it easy to bring on cabin plane (because they are lithium) when he folds it for it to be stored in the belly when he rides right to the plane door, it is a total of 53 pounds, have never run out battery in ports and if it does then I can free-wheel push him like a regular wheelchair.

7 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

Glad that you made your decision and found what works for you.

There is a scooter out there for each of us that suits our needs and all that the rest of us can do is relate our situation and what we prefer.

Yes... it has been outstanding so far.  For other people interested in buying a scooter I would encourage them to determine what they need in features and then try your possible selection out to see if it indeed works for you.  

I was lucky since I got to see and use the HandyScoot because they had an area representative here in central Florida that brought a scooter over to me. I just called the website number and they arranged it for me.

After some quick lessons and tips I was 'scooting' and loving it.  Could not be happier!!

On 3/20/2019 at 4:05 AM, Semi Retired said:

Correct. My husband rented a scooter and then bought one of these chairs. He is thrilled with it! Much better than the scooter. Turns on a dime, less space taken up in elevator, comfortable to sit at a table or in the theatre, can put aside if he wants to sit in a dining chair or theatre seat, batteries are only 6 pounds (3 each) to make it easy to bring on cabin plane (because they are lithium) when he folds it for it to be stored in the belly when he rides right to the plane door, it is a total of 53 pounds, have never run out battery in ports and if it does then I can free-wheel push him like a regular wheelchair.

Yep I much prefer a power chair too, mainly for the reasons you list above.

You need to also consider the limitations of the user. For instance, when I first went to enquire about renting a scooter, I said that I would prefer the seat to recline, at least a little, and was immediately told that a scooter would automatically make me lean forwards if anything. For this reason, and the fact that my arthritic hands make using the handlebars difficult, I was told that I would be better with a powerchair.

Gut, I know we talked a bit about the automatic fold powerchairs a while ago and I have now found one at a similar price to manually folding models. I am hoping to see one and give it a try next week.

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

You need to also consider the limitations of the user. For instance, when I first went to enquire about renting a scooter, I said that I would prefer the seat to recline, at least a little, and was immediately told that a scooter would automatically make me lean forwards if anything. For this reason, and the fact that my arthritic hands make using the handlebars difficult, I was told that I would be better with a powerchair.

Gut, I know we talked a bit about the automatic fold powerchairs a while ago and I have now found one at a similar price to manually folding models. I am hoping to see one and give it a try next week.

That’s great to hear. One complaint I have is that te ack on mine has no adjustment, I’d love one with power recline but any on sale in Aus are expensive tried to get one from China but that turned into real Problems.

i saw your post saying you are in Poole, but then couldn’t find it to respond, a while back I found a distant relative (we share a 3x great grandfather) who lived in Poole so I’m somewhat familiar with the area.

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

User limitations are a big issue many people overlook, and probably why I’ve always returned to power chairs.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

i saw your post saying you are in Poole, but then couldn’t find it to respond, a while back I found a distant relative (we share a 3x great grandfather) who lived in Poole so I’m somewhat familiar with the area.

I am originally from the West Midlands but have lived here since 1981. It is a lovely place and I hope I never forget how lucky I am 🙂

On 2/11/2019 at 4:40 PM, Billteg said:

Just a quick report on my Fold and Go electric wheelchair, heavy duty up to 365 lbs and weights 57 lbs.  I just finished an 18 day Panama Canal cruise then visited friends in Kansas city and New Orleans for another 3 weeks.  Got around great, no issues.  Held its charge well but I don't let it go much before half before I recharge it.  Hauled my bulky body asking with clips that held 3 bags plus tossed my large suitcase around (I use the Hero Clips.. They work great books to the back of the chair then put bags /suitcase handle on the hooks).  Everyone was impressed with how the chair folds up and rolls like a suitcase, especially airline personnel. 

So I am doing some research for a family member and ran across your post about the Fold and Go. I've have sort of narrowed it down to a Pride Revo 2.0 4-wheeler and the Fold and Go. The scooter seems like a neat option but how do you store it in taxis, cars, planes, etc? 

I watched a couple of videos on YouTube last night about airline baggage handlers loading 200lb-ish scooters and power wheelchairs and it wasn't pretty. It took 4 of them to lift it and they never put it the right way on the belt and I could easily see how they would tear it up pretty easily.

How did you find gate checking the Fold and Go? Also, what about going through security?

Any additional information you can share?

26 minutes ago, NightOne said:

So I am doing some research for a family member and ran across your post about the Fold and Go. I've have sort of narrowed it down to a Pride Revo 2.0 4-wheeler and the Fold and Go. The scooter seems like a neat option but how do you store it in taxis, cars, planes, etc? 

I watched a couple of videos on YouTube last night about airline baggage handlers loading 200lb-ish scooters and power wheelchairs and it wasn't pretty. It took 4 of them to lift it and they never put it the right way on the belt and I could easily see how they would tear it up pretty easily.

How did you find gate checking the Fold and Go? Also, what about going through security?

Any additional information you can share?

I had no problems on the train, cruise

Ship, taxi (SUV or van is best but it does fit in most car trunks fine) or airplane with my Fold and Go.  It fills up to the size of a large suitcase. I understand on some newer aircraft you can store them in the cabin but on my flights they stored it before but I had no problems.  It's easy to wheel when folded up, like a suitcase.  Security was no issue at all. Should you buy a gold and go, please give my name as a referral and I get a small credit.. William Tegtmeyer.  I'm very happy with my Fold and Go.  The backrest does not recline but I find it comfortable.  I do have an extra pad on my seat if I'm going out and about. I tried a scooter and they are nice but not very convenient if you are a traveler.  I find the Fold and Go by far the best choice for me.  Good luck

Edited by Billteg
Added info
  • Thanks 1