MDR: what’s your preference?

If you do MTD. It’s faster, more like 60 minuts.

In regular MDR you enter at 5:30. and they don’t start until 6. Then the app lines in the kitchen so it takes time to get apps. Ect. MTD if you don’t go when it opens. Everyone is at a different point of there meals. So I am on apps and the table next to me is finishing up

If you had a set seating time of early seating and dinner is not until 6, why would you show up at 5:30? :confused:

Would you prefer

1) quick MDR experience of less than an hour with waitstaff that is similar to a land-based experience (quick, courteous but not chatty)

2) longer MDR experience (1.5-2 hours) with waitstaff that strikes up conversation with you.

I’ve had both and wanted to see other opinions on the matter.

I prefer 1. , but even if it goes a bit over an hour it is ok with me. I now do YTD, and cruise, dine solo, so prefer to not linger. However, I must say, after 4 experiences with YTD, and most cruises have had the same wait staff for most dinners, some times different ones, but always they were attentive, efficient and happy to see me again next evening, remembering my name too, as well as rememberiung that I like to order a glass of wine with dinner.

So, 1 is the answer, but also have to add that YTD works for me. As a solo, find I am in quick and out quick, which is how I like it, and still get the attention from wait staff.

You should of made this an actual poll!

I pick option 1. There is no reason I could possibly think of where it should take me over an hour to eat dinner. No land based restaurant do we ever go in are we there over an hour, unless it's a busy night. Give me my appetizer, my meal and my dessert and let me get on my way. I don't need to sip on coffee and cheese after dinner or wait 10 minutes between dinner/dessert nor am I there to make a new best friend with the staff. I just want to eat and get on with my evening.

That pretty much nailed it for us too. I don't mind talking with the servers but don't need/want long conversations either. As you said, not looking for a new best friend.

Would you prefer

1) quick MDR experience of less than an hour with waitstaff that is similar to a land-based experience (quick, courteous but not chatty)

2) longer MDR experience (1.5-2 hours) with waitstaff that strikes up conversation with you.

I’ve had both and wanted to see other opinions on the matter.

#1 if we have plans. #2 if we don't, but not two hours, just not rushed.

We often do b2b, so I love getting to know our dining staff, but at the same time, I have to recognize that they are understaffed and often running.

we take traditional dining 6pm and are done by 7:15

I can not even imagine what that meal would be like if they were rushed

an hour? This 6:00-7:15 is perfectly fine for me

I would say option 1 but doesn’t need to be less than an hour. An hour is perfect.

On our first family cruise back in 2013 the girls LOVED the dining room experience! We went every single night, otherwise they’d cry since they wouldn’t get to see “Joel and .......”. I’m not even sure how long it took (we always do YTD) but it never felt like “too long”. The next family cruise was 2016 and they noticed a HUGE difference in the dining room. We only went twice that cruise. The first time the dinner was 1 Hour 40 minutes, but felt like forever due to the overworked servers. We missed the show they wanted to see so we didn’t go back until the last night. Maybe we’re not MDR people anymore? Not sure, but I’m glad that Carnival has other options now with Guys. Just wish Blue Iguana was open later!

In my humble opinion, topics like this point to why Carnival is moving towards a more casual experience at the MDR. Yes, there’s a lot of people who still enjoy the way dining on a cruise ship used to be: unhurried experience, getting to know your table mates, giving yourself time to savor each course, and dressing up the part.

Younger generations and new cruisers just want to go in, eat as fast as they can, as casually as they can, and get out.

Just remember this next time someone complaints about how Carnival (and other cruise lines) have dumbed down the dining experience. They haven’t. They are just responding to what cruisers these days want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my humble opinion, topics like this point to why Carnival is moving towards a more casual experience at the MDR. Yes, there’s a lot of people who still enjoy the way dining on a cruise ship used to be: unhurried experience, getting to know your table mates, giving yourself time to savor each course, and dressing up the part.

Younger generations and new cruisers just want to go in, eat as fast as they can, as casually as they can, and get out.

Just remember this next time someone complaints about how Carnival (and other cruise lines) have dumbed down the dining experience. They haven’t. They are just responding to what cruisers these days want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fair point. With the quality of the MDR food, I don’t see it as very elegant or fancy anymore. It’s a good meal, but it’s not something that needs to be drawn out and savored.

Sometimes it's nice to have a longer dinner, this way we catch up with everybody to see how their day was and what the plans are for tomorrow. However, sometimes it can be drawn out, especially if everybody is tired (e.g., after a long port day).

A maximum of an hour is long enough for dinner. I'm there to eat dinner, not to become "besties" with the wait staff. Same goes at any land-based restaurant we go to.

I fully agree! Our last cruise the dinner service was so long and drawn-out, and the food (desserts) left us disappointed, that unless something changes, when we do cruise again we will be far more likely to eat at the buffet....which I think is very sad. Dinner used to be a highlight of any cruise! But two-hour dinners are not our thing...I, too, want to attend the early show or a comedian.

I wish they would redesign the seating area so people could watch the show during dinner/desert time. But if they were really considering one of those two options since there are two dining areas why not have one designated to option one and one designated to option two. Assign wait staff that are better at entertaining to the longer diner time and ones that aren't to the shorter one. People could make their choice since it sounds like your time dining is the way most are going these days anyways.