My first river cruise and traveling solo for the first time

Cattravels

Hi everybody

My husband passed away very unexpectedly in January so for this summer I decided to visit a friend in Paris and my son in Prague. My TA found the Viking Cities of Light cruise which looks like it will be be perfect for in between these two visits. My husband and I sailed on Princess on a Baltic cruise last summer and loved it but that's all of my cruising experience. My parents though have been on numerous river cruises through Tauck and love it. Anyway I'm having fun exploring these boards and learning as much as I can before I go (I'm a teacher so have to travel in the summer). I'm a little worried about fitting in by myself but I'm up for new experiences. Thank you!

Having recently lost my lover and beloved travel travel companion of 40++ years, I extend my sympathies. River boaters tend to be pretty laid back and acceptant of singles. If the first group isn’t, move on to the next table. I am not in travel mode in 2018 since I’m involved with selling 3 houses and moving into a CCC. BUT

next year I fully intend to be out there somewhere.

As a confirmed river boat addict I think / hope you will love it. On the slight chance you don’t, move onto something else.

All the best as your life goes on

Thom

I'm sorry to hear about your loss but I would echo what Thom said. We've done two river cruises and found everyone on both ships to be very friendly and open. I'm sure you will meet many who will enjoy your company.

Have a great trip!

Paul

Thom,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I remember traveling with the two of you in 2008 on GCCLs Great Rivers trip. I'm still traveling (mainly with OAT/GCCL) taking at least 3 trips a year. I leave in 3 weeks for GCCL Untamed Adriatic in the Artimis. Maybe we'll run into each other again.

Cat,

I'm sorry about your husband's passing. That is a huge loss and adjustment.

I'm a solo cruiser, and have done 2 river cruises, with a 3rd booked for this fall. I think you'll find it even easier to sail solo on a river cruise than an ocean cruise, due to the small size of the ship. It's easy to meet other people in the lounge, at mealtime, and on excursions. I was surprised at the number of solo passengers on my first river cruise. Several of them were widows or widowers who didn't want to give up traveling or cruising after the loss of their spouse.

Roz

Sending you my condolences as well.......

I always sail solo and did my first river cruise in 2016 and it was FANTASTIC:D and I hope you have a wonderful time.:)

Thom,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I remember traveling with the two of you in 2008 on GCCLs Great Rivers trip. I'm still traveling (mainly with OAT/GCCL) taking at least 3 trips a year. I leave in 3 weeks for GCCL Untamed Adriatic in the Artimis. Maybe we'll run into each other again.

Thank you Rodger.

We had 3 trips (Artemis and Arethusia) on the OAT/GCCL 50 passenger Croatian built ships. Split to Athens, Zadar to Neum (I didn’t even know that Bosnia had a coast line) and just 10 months ago Nice to Liverno. All were delightful. Lyn took very good care of her health, regular exams, ate right, exercised and I thought she’d live forever. In her last year we did the Irrawaddy, the Mekong, spent part of the winter in the Caribbean, the aforementioned OAT trip, celebrated her birthday in Jamaica and spent a week circling Cuba with a number of stops. 2 days after a weekend of hiking she thought she had the flu; 5 days later and no better I drove her to the doctor who diagnosed leukemia; waiting to be admitted to the cancer ward she had a massive stroke. About as quick and painless as you can go, but needless to say I was devastated. We both retired in our 50s 16 years ago and had a wonderful life full of fun and travel so at least I have few regrets. But I do really miss her.

Thom

Thom, that is heartbreaking. So sorry to read about Lyn's passing; I hardly know what to say. This is why we travel as much as we can, but admittedly we are very lucky that we don't have to wait...even though we can't yet compete with your travel roster!

I'm sorry that you and Lyn didn't get to India together; I know that you had mentioned her interest after our trip there last year.

Cattravels, we have enjoyed the company of many delightful singles and couples over many years of our cruise travels. I don't think you'll have a problem at all, unless you actually want to be alone.

Thom, that is heartbreaking. So sorry to read about Lyn's passing; I hardly know what to say. This is why we travel as much as we can, but admittedly we are very lucky that we don't have to wait...even though we can't yet compete with your travel roster!...
Thanks JP. Lyn and I made to all 7 continents (only once in Antarctica, multiple times to the rest) so I have no regrets of our enjoyment of life.

Thom,

Please accept my condolences as well. I have always enjoyed reading about your adventures, and am glad you plan on continuing. It sounds like Lyn would have very much wanted that.

Robin

Cat,

I'm sorry about your husband's passing. That is a huge loss and adjustment.

I'm a solo cruiser, and have done 2 river cruises, with a 3rd booked for this fall. I think you'll find it even easier to sail solo on a river cruise than an ocean cruise, due to the small size of the ship. It's easy to meet other people in the lounge, at mealtime, and on excursions. I was surprised at the number of solo passengers on my first river cruise. Several of them were widows or widowers who didn't want to give up traveling or cruising after the loss of their spouse.

Also sorry about your husband... And also a single cruiser :) Have river cruise with Avalon booked, (they have a single supplement) Also 2 NCL and a Viking :) Looking forward to it!

Thank you Rodger.

We had 3 trips (Artemis and Arethusia) on the OAT/GCCL 50 passenger Croatian built ships. Split to Athens, Zadar to Neum (I didn’t even know that Bosnia had a coast line) and just 10 months ago Nice to Liverno. All were delightful. Lyn took very good care of her health, regular exams, ate right, exercised and I thought she’d live forever. In her last year we did the Irrawaddy, the Mekong, spent part of the winter in the Caribbean, the aforementioned OAT trip, celebrated her birthday in Jamaica and spent a week circling Cuba with a number of stops. 2 days after a weekend of hiking she thought she had the flu; 5 days later and no better I drove her to the doctor who diagnosed leukemia; waiting to be admitted to the cancer ward she had a massive stroke. About as quick and painless as you can go, but needless to say I was devastated. We both retired in our 50s 16 years ago and had a wonderful life full of fun and travel so at least I have few regrets. But I do really miss her.

Thom

Hi Thom, my condolences go out to you as well.....that sounds heartbreaking:(............

About 3 weeks ago my previous boss (he was my boss for nearly 20 years).......your wife and he were the same.....he ate well, exercised (played tennis and golf) and we used to say he looked like the blonde

Dick Clark (everytime I would see him he never aged). He retired in 2006 and he and wife traveled ALOT......

Well, very recently, he thought he had the flu.......they had to take him to the hospital..........found out he had

Leukemia........he died within a week of going in the hospital too.........sounds like they had the same story.:eek:

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you are getting out and enjoying the world, as I think our loved ones would prefer rather than let life pass us by.

My husband and I did the Avalon version of this cruise and loved EVERY minute of it. We added a week at the front in Prague (one of my favorite cities in the world) and a week in Paris. I even ran into an old shipmate on a food tour that I had been stationed with in 1986! Totally random. She works at the US Embassy. Talk about a small world.

Have fun researching. Let me know if I can answer any questions.