Single thread - New website issues and discussions

canadarocks

For Your Amusement:

I had to get a new cellphone when I bought a new car. My old one did not support

bluetoothing its address book to the car, and the car's dashboard hung waiting for

it = No speedometer.

Guess it was cheaper that way than the other way 'round. :o

Yikes! When I bought my current car, the nice (young) saleswoman set up the bluetooth for me. I did know how to do this, but I just let her do it as she was new and trying very hard to do a good job for the customer. (Until I read the ageist comments on some of these threads it never occurred to me that she might have thought I was too old to figure it out for myself!)

What happens if you forget to take your phone with you?

As a point of reference (and this may or may not have anything to do with anything) I was able to complete my online check-in this morning using INTERNET EXPLORER rather than CHROME which is what I use everyday for everything. I know that when writing web code, checking that it runs on every browser is often not done so maybe that is part of the problem with the new site?

As a point of reference (and this may or may not have anything to do with anything) I was able to complete my online check-in this morning using INTERNET EXPLORER rather than CHROME which is what I use everyday for everything. I know that when writing web code, checking that it runs on every browser is often not done so maybe that is part of the problem with the new site?

Chrome has the largest share of users by far...at or close to 60% of the browser market currently. So, if they were primarily programming for Internet Explorer (with usage in the teens, percentage-wise), that would point to a poor programming choice.

Chrome has the largest share of users by far...at or close to 60% of the browser market currently. So, if they were primarily programming for Internet Explorer (with usage in the teens, percentage-wise), that would point to a poor programming choice.

I think of IE as an old Browser. Microsoft pushes Edge and I was surprised to find that IE was still available in windows accessories. Curiouser and curiouser...

Ditch the new car, and just use your old cell phone and call Uber. Is that a great "work around" our what?

Alas, the population density here makes Uber and Lyft non-starters.

It's 2 hours over a mountain pass to the county seat, 90 minutes to

the nearest mall, and 5 seconds to the nearest Yucca tree. I love it.

Alas, the population density here makes Uber and Lyft non-starters.

It's 2 hours over a mountain pass to the county seat, 90 minutes to

the nearest mall, and 5 seconds to the nearest Yucca tree. I love it.

In that case you will need to ditch the car, ditch the cell phone calls to Uber and just wait for the next 20 mule borax train to roll by. Should be any minute. Or so.

Pull out any MBA textbook, and it's the case study of a company whose sales forecasts showed trouble ahead, and tried to solve the problem without factoring in the wants and needs of their current customer base.
Sorry but there literally thousands of examples of companies that fostered continued success by appealing to the prime demographic, even as their legacy customer base aged out of the demographic. So your example is a red herring. It never ceases to amaze me the extent to which some customers will go to try to place their vested interest above the professional expertise of those who actually have a fiduciary responsibility to the owners of the company.

I completed my check-in using Chrome. I used IE for printing luggage tags because I have pop-ups disabled on Chrome, and, like the website says, that will interfere with that portion of the website.

Given that the website works fine on Chrome, IE, and Firefox, on Windows, and Chrome and Firefox on Android, it's a good bet that that testing was done. What they did not test - and should not be expected to have tested - is every browser extension, every way browser caches can be corrupted, every ad blocker, etc.

I think of IE as an old Browser. Microsoft pushes Edge and I was surprised to find that IE was still available in windows accessories. Curiouser and curiouser...

I have chrome and fire fox but much prefer firefox

I rarely use chrome and stopped IE, entirely I just got a new lap top which has Edge but i I have not explored it much, yet.

Edited by sail7seas

I am unable to even look at excursions or flights today. They say “error” come back later. I get that most of the time. Trying to work this out with my grandson and it will once again have to wait for another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nana, I've not seen you post for a while, it is nice to 'see' you here. Good luck with the HA L s ite...... Groan.

Yep, I’m back! Love the HAL ships. I’m taking my 18 grandson for a graduation gift. Off to Alaska. cdb3886a451771edcb5098cc6ae384af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't really realize that the website had changed but what I do notice is for the last week all types of issues.

Last weekend, I could not get to my itinerary. I call HAL and the lady was so rude and said there was nothing wrong with the website and that the excursions were probably sold out. That worried me! I have never been on a cruise before and thought I missed my opportunity.

This weekend I get a lot of spinning or the server cannot be contacted. I have also been reading that many cannot print their boarding passes. What happens if one simply cannot get them printed?

I didn't really realize that the website had changed but what I do notice is for the last week all types of issues.

Last weekend, I could not get to my itinerary. I call HAL and the lady was so rude and said there was nothing wrong with the website and that the excursions were probably sold out. That worried me! I have never been on a cruise before and thought I missed my opportunity.

This weekend I get a lot of spinning or the server cannot be contacted. I have also been reading that many cannot print their boarding passes. What happens if one simply cannot get them printed?

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems and that customer service was rude to you. By now, I can't believe that there's any phone rep who hasn't heard of problems with the website. It's been going on for weeks.

If you booked with a travel agent, they may be able to help. If you booked directly with HAL, try calling again. Most phone agents are nice. Unless your cruise is coming up very soon, you will probably have time to book your excursions and print your boarding pass.

Success with using the new website comes and goes as they continue to tweak it. I'd say keep trying. Try a different browser. If you can't print your boarding pass, see if you can get it on your phone if you have a smartphone. If all else fails, show up with your passport and reservation number and let the check-in people look it up. But it probably won't come to that.

And welcome to Cruise Critic and to cruising.

I understand that IF you can get to the HAL folks, they can deal with such. If you

can't get past port security without the docs (think FLL), it becomes messy.

At FLL I've heard tell that one of the three entrances will get you to one of the

terminals without going through a checkpoint, but I'll let someone who's actually

done that vouch for it.

another question? Is there an additional fee for room service?

No. That's one of the great things about HAL. They do have some extra-charge items, but most room service items are included in your fare.

Here's a tip if you like room service. You can order items from the dining room menu for room service. You should check on the required timing. You can ask for delivery any time the dining room is open, but they usually want you to place your order in the first hour or so that the dining room is open. The evening menu should be available on the "Navigator," which you can access for free on your smartphone or tablet or computer, if you travel with any of those items. If not, menus are posted outside the dining room. If you have the interactive TV system, dinner menus will be on that.

No. That's one of the great things about HAL. They do have some extra-charge items, but most room service items are included in your fare.

Here's a tip if you like room service. You can order items from the dining room menu for room service. You should check on the required timing. You can ask for delivery any time the dining room is open, but they usually want you to place your order in the first hour or so that the dining room is open. The evening menu should be available on the "Navigator," which you can access for free on your smartphone or tablet or computer, if you travel with any of those items. If not, menus are posted outside the dining room. If you have the interactive TV system, dinner menus will be on that.

Speaking of tips...

I pack $2 bills to tip the room service delivery folks. One bill each time, and they

claim to be intrigued by them. It's not necessary to tip, but the second time I

order room service, it has seemed that the wait was noticeably shorter. :halo:

Try this link. I was able to use it just now to get into the old site. I found my booking, and from there I was able to see the tours for my cruise. I was able to click on "buy now" for a tour I looked at, but I didn't take it beyond that. Also, the old site still has reviews. They didn't make it onto the new site.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/?ASCookie=RSOrigin

Speaking of tips...

I pack $2 bills to tip the room service delivery folks. One bill each time, and they

claim to be intrigued by them.:halo:

I've heard many times that 2's are harder for the crew to use because currency exchanges don't want them. Please stick to 1's, or at least offer them a choice.

Speaking of tips...

It's not necessary to tip, but the second time I order room service, it has seemed that the wait was noticeably shorter. :halo:

Probably just a coincidence, or luck-of-the-draw, as (I believe) most pax tip a buck or two.

Try this link. I was able to use it just now to get into the old site. I found my booking, and from there I was able to see the tours for my cruise. I was able to click on "buy now" for a tour I looked at, but I didn't take it beyond that. Also, the old site still has reviews. They didn't make it onto the new site.

I have been using that link for weeks now. It takes me to the old site, with full features. However, today, it only partially loads and just sits there. Is anyone having this problem with the link posted by 3rdgen above ?

I think the new site is being setup to favor touch-screen usage like tablets and phones. I see many areas where you need to wipe across the screen to reveal more info. I guess HAL is forgetting us dinosaurs that still use full-sized laptops and desktops.

Same as the link that got me to the old website too -- today. What a relief to see an old friend.

I have been using that link for weeks now. It takes me to the old site, with full features. However, today, it only partially loads and just sits there. Is anyone having this problem with the link posted by 3rdgen above ?

I think the new site is being setup to favor touch-screen usage like tablets and phones. I see many areas where you need to wipe across the screen to reveal more info. I guess HAL is forgetting us dinosaurs that still use full-sized laptops and desktops.

That link got me the old site last night. Today, I got the frame/edge of the page and the little spinning circle of doom.

Oddly, while I was working through the new site, when I went to "book exc tours" it went to the old site. I wonder if some of the new parts were so bad they linked back to the old versions?

I have to say, the new site is working better than it was a few weeks ago (and about time!). For example, it is now possible to change room categories when researching a cruise. When I first tried it, the "edit room" didn't respond. I didn't change browsers or anything else. I guess I just became smarter? :p ;p :cool:

I think the new site is being setup to favor touch-screen usage like tablets and phones. I see many areas where you need to wipe across the screen to reveal more info.
Without any doubt.

I guess HAL is forgetting us dinosaurs that still use full-sized laptops and desktops.
Not forgetting so much as acknowledging our decreasing priority.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line concerning your ms Eurodam March 9, 2019 voyage.

I have gone to the new website homepage and clicked on Manage My Cruise at the bottom of the page. Once I enter your booking number and last name it takes me to the EXC Tour page. This location and configuration has not changed from the last website. Scroll down to Book EXC Tours on the left side and by clicking on a picture of the excursions it will give you a full description.

We do understand that the new site is different and we take all concerns and suggestions seriously. We encourage you to contact our General Reservation Line at 877-724-5425 to trouble shoot and assist you with gaining access to the information you need.

We will pass on your concerns to the marketing and management teams.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance. Thank you for contacting Holland America Line.

Kind Regards,

Todd

Holland America Line

U.S. and Canada: 877-724-5425

International: 206-286-3900

Mon-Fri 5am-7pm PST

Sat-Sun 6am-5pm PST

This is the message I received from HAL after I complained about the new web site, hope this helps.

Allan