Luggage tag colors - Part II - Disembarkation

DAllenTCY

A recent thread discussed luggage tag colors... for embarkation.

I hope to make this quick and easy to understand. Colored/Numbered luggage tags make a huge difference debarking.

Sequential call off helps the ground staff much more than the ship. (In the past "Silent Debarkation" was tried for a year or more. While it emptied out the ship rapidly, long lines for airport transfers and City Tours were a result.) Many missed those connections because they could not exit the ship early.

Organized by color and number, we can select what to have the ship call on the speaker system, based on luggage laydown, buses ready, for tours and airport or hotel transfers.

Please be sure to attend the Disembarkation Meeting presented by your Cruise Director, and read the corresponding literature left in your stateroom the night before.

If you have the incorrect luggage tag color on your bed or nightstand, please ask to have it changed. Every cruise presents the schedule to you to check.....sometimes on your room TV.

If you don't have to get off the ship early, please let your fellow passengers who do, access the gangway first.

David

A recent thread discussed luggage tag colors... for embarkation.

I hope to make this quick and easy to understand. Colored/Numbered luggage tags make a huge difference debarking.

Sequential call off helps the ground staff much more than the ship. (In the past "Silent Debarkation" was tried for a year or more. While it emptied out the ship rapidly, long lines for airport transfers and City Tours were a result.) Many missed those connections because they could not exit the ship early.

Organized by color and number, we can select what to have the ship call on the speaker system, based on luggage laydown, buses ready, for tours and airport or hotel transfers.

Please be sure to attend the Disembarkation Meeting presented by your Cruise Director, and read the corresponding literature left in your stateroom the night before.

If you have the incorrect luggage tag color on your bed or nightstand, please ask to have it changed. Every cruise presents the schedule to you to check.....sometimes on your room TV.

If you don't have to get off the ship early, please let your fellow passengers who do, access the gangway first.

David

Very useful information, although the disembarkation talk by the CD has been discontinued for some years now.

It has been several years since there was a disembarkation talk.

All we get now is the packet with the letter and luggage tags.

Biggest problem we have seen in recent years is people getting off before their color and number is called only to find that their luggage isn't in the terminal yet. And then they have to stand around and wait for their luggage to come off the ship.

Strange occurrence disembarking K'dam in Fort Lauderdale in March.

All cruise long DW and myself received all correspondence/invitations etc address to Mr & Mrs Max

As is perfectly normal and usual as we were both on one booking number, so we expected one of all documents including the form where Front Office requests your flight details etc for disembarkation.

Morning prior to disembarkation and the 'Pack' was in the mail box , address to Mr Max, so I took out the luggage tags and put them onto our suitcases etc. Brown 3 was the colour supplied.

Later that day there was another 'Pack' in the mail box, addressed to Mrs Max which I filed (i.e. threw) onto the corner unit and ignored it until getting ready for bed, when for some reason I opened it and found a completely different set of luggage tags included. The were Blue 2.

I thought it was strange that two pax on one booking would be given separate and different disembarkation packs.

Strange occurrence disembarking K'dam in Fort Lauderdale in March.

All cruise long DW and myself received all correspondence/invitations etc address to Mr & Mrs Max

As is perfectly normal and usual as we were both on one booking number, so we expected one of all documents including the form where Front Office requests your flight details etc for disembarkation.

Morning prior to disembarkation and the 'Pack' was in the mail box , address to Mr Max, so I took out the luggage tags and put them onto our suitcases etc. Brown 3 was the colour supplied.

Later that day there was another 'Pack' in the mail box, addressed to Mrs Max which I filed (i.e. threw) onto the corner unit and ignored it until getting ready for bed, when for some reason I opened it and found a completely different set of luggage tags included. The were Blue 2.

I thought it was strange that two pax on one booking would be given separate and different disembarkation packs.

Did you both fill out different disembarkation questionnaires? That happened with my brother and his traveling companion one time. They turned in different questionnaires and got different bag tags even though their plans were the same.

If not, well, mix-ups can happen. I would have just gone to the front desk to confirm everything.

Did you both fill out different disembarkation questionnaires? That happened with my brother and his traveling companion one time. They turned in different questionnaires and got different bag tags even though their plans were the same.

If not, well, mix-ups can happen. I would have just gone to the front desk to confirm everything.

Rather than stand in line at front desk with issues such as that,, pick up the phone and save yourself the time and energy.

Rather than stand in line at front desk with issues such as that,, pick up the phone and save yourself the time and energy.

If they agree you need more of the tags Mr. Max got, they will have some delivered to your cabin.

I know you are used to Neptune Suites where you have concierge service.

Picking up the phone on some ships can be a long and enduring task for those that need to contact the front desk. (I know)

Better off to go to the front desk IMO for those issues as they can probably hand you the tags right there. JMO though.

<snip>

That is very strange. You are on the same booking, same room. You should have been on the same disembarkation group. Period.

One thing to link other cabins if you are getting off in the same time frame, but no need to link your spouse, better half or sailing partner if you are in the same cabin and on the same booking. That sounds like a massive muck up to me.

It has been several years since there was a disembarkation talk.

All we get now is the packet with the letter and luggage tags.

Biggest problem we have seen in recent years is people getting off before their color and number is called only to find that their luggage isn't in the terminal yet. And then they have to stand around and wait for their luggage to come off the ship.

Maybe if people understood that they wouldn't try to get off the ship ahead of their luggage.

A few cruises ago, on one of the Vistas, they were enforcing the color/number order. We had an early disembarkation time, and they were staging us in one of the lounges. As we approached it, we saw a lot of people milling around. When we headed for the assigned lounge, a port employee stopped us and I showed that we had the right tag. We were allowed in. Apparently the people standing around had tried to get in but had the wrong tags. It was set up cleverly--one door into the lounge (guarded by the employee) and another one leaving, with a rope line so that people couldn't cut in. It's a shame that they had to go to such lengths to get people to behave as asked.

Only one questionnaire received and one questionnaire returned, by hand to the front desk. As I had already put the bags out with one colour tag on them, I really didn't have any concerns. Just curious as to how/why???

It's a shame that they had to go to such lengths to get people to behave as asked.

Not surprising. I see the attitude here on CC all the time. There's a discussion about something the cruise line says about a procedure or "rule," and a number of folks state outright that they know that, but are going to ignore it and do things their own way.