Dressing up instead of down

Mslmesq

everything i read on here is about dressing casually. What about dressing up? I enjoy dressing up on vacation. Does anyone on ncl dress up, or will I feel out of place?

I’m not talking about formal attire, but nice dresses or jumpsuits that I would wear to a night club or something.

Pam and I tend to overdress. We are usually one of a handful of guests who actually wear tux and gown for Norwegian’s Night Out. I figure that since I own tuxedos, why not put them to use?

There are often many ladies who we see wearing nice dresses in the evening. Usually the women are better dressed than the men in our experience.

Of course, there will also be a fair number of people in t shirts, shorts, and flip flops so as long as you don’t mind being the best dressed person in your area you’ll be fine!

I also dress for dinner just about every night. At home I rarely get an opportunity to do so. You will see the entire gamut of dress from people in tees and shorts to sparkly dresses and men wearing suits and ties. One of the many reasons I love NCL is that anything goes! :)

Tracy

everything i read on here is about dressing casually. What about dressing up? I enjoy dressing up on vacation. Does anyone on ncl dress up, or will I feel out of place?

I’m not talking about formal attire, but nice dresses or jumpsuits that I would wear to a night club or something.

oh, you will see people dressed up as many like to have a picture taken in nice evening attire and there are many nights pictures are being taken. You will see men in suits or sport jackets and women dressed like they are going to a club. It just is going to be more dress down than up. No, you will not be out of place. Dress as you like. I would rather be dressed up than down, though we do not really dress up for cruising like we used to 10 years or so ago.

You’ll be fine dressing up. That’s why NCL calls it “Dress up...or not” night.

Personally, that’s one of the reasons I like NCL. No one is forced into a slot where one has to get dressed up, but can if they want.

Yup, we're in swimsuits, T-shirts, shorts all day, but dress smartly for dinner; we invariably eat in the specialty restaurants and are generally surrounded by people making a similar effort. After all, how often during a year do you get to take your wife/partner out for 'date-night' 7, 10, 11 nights in a row! My wife lives in riding breeches and a thin coating of horse-sh1t the other 51 weeks of the year and this is her chance to wear a nice dress and feel a little more special. She scrubs up delightfully, making me a very proud man as we walk to dinner or enjoy a cocktail.

It's kinda sad (to me) that so many in the world these days seem to put so much effort into "what's the least I can get away with" and "can I get away with ignoring this simple guideline"... When this is such a wonderful opportunity to make an effort, do something you don't do all the time and enjoy the results.

Dress up, I'll notice!

"People will stare, make it worth their while" - Harry Winston

I love dressing up! I usually take one "sparkly" dress to wear a couple of nights, other nights may wear a sun dress or I may wear shorts and a comfortable top. That's one of the reasons I love Norwegian, choose what you want!

It's kinda sad (to me) that so many in the world these days seem to put so much effort into "what's the least I can get away with" and "can I get away with ignoring this simple guideline"... When this is such a wonderful opportunity to make an effort, do something you don't do all the time and enjoy the results.

I bolded the error in your argument. For some, it IS something they do all the time. For instance, I don't wear riding pants to work, but rather a suit, dressed up, day in and day out. On vacation, I prefer to relax and not be required to dress as I do for work. Others who don't get to dress up often like the opportunity to make the effort, and that is fine. Some people want a break from making the effort. To each his own.

I bolded the error in your argument. For some, it IS something they do all the time. For instance, I don't wear riding pants to work, but rather a suit, dressed up, day in and day out. On vacation, I prefer to relax and not be required to dress as I do for work. Others who don't get to dress up often like the opportunity to make the effort, and that is fine. Some people want a break from making the effort. To each his own.

That's perfectly understandable as well. But I also think there need to be certain minimum standards that should be enforced. Again, I don't think that everyone needs to be in a suit or even a dress shirt and tie. Just the minimum standards as listed on each cruise lines' own rules and regulations. On the mass market cruise lines the minimum standards are pretty relaxed nowadays.

As I've brought up in one of the other recent threads on this topic, I recently witnessed a young woman dressed in a hot pink bathrobe and bedroom slippers walking around Walmart in the afternoon buying groceries. I'm sure she also feels that she has to wear normal clothes to work everyday so when she's off she should be able to wear whatever she wants. We now see adults dressed in pajamas boarding airplanes. I wonder what they would choose to wear to dinner on a cruise! LOL.

Anyway this thread was for those who WANT to dress up. Not those who choose to go casual. And as I said in my initial response Pam and I have zero issues with being overdressed on most nights.

I think some of it depends on where you are going. On the Pearl last year in Alaska, I didn't see a single person wearing formal wear. Most people did seem to be a bit more dressed up than you'd probably see in a warmer cruise. Of course there were the jeans and t-shirt crowd, and a few brave souls in shorts and flip flops even in Glacier Bay, kind of like the tourists I used to see in San Francisco with shorts and an over priced sweat shirt they just bought at the local tourist trap for $50, because they are freezing in July.

My wife lives in riding breeches and a thin coating of horse-sh1t the other 51 weeks of the year and this is her chance to wear a nice dress and feel a little more special. She scrubs up delightfully, making me a very proud man as we walk to dinner or enjoy a cocktail.

I love this! :loudcry::hearteyes::loudcry:<3 <3 <3

That's perfectly understandable as well. But I also think there need to be certain minimum standards that should be enforced. Again, I don't think that everyone needs to be in a suit or even a dress shirt and tie. Just the minimum standards as listed on each cruise lines' own rules and regulations. On the mass market cruise lines the minimum standards are pretty relaxed nowadays.

As I've brought up in one of the other recent threads on this topic, I recently witnessed a young woman dressed in a hot pink bathrobe and bedroom slippers walking around Walmart in the afternoon buying groceries. I'm sure she also feels that she has to wear normal clothes to work everyday so when she's off she should be able to wear whatever she wants. We now see adults dressed in pajamas boarding airplanes. I wonder what they would choose to wear to dinner on a cruise! LOL.

Anyway this thread was for those who WANT to dress up. Not those who choose to go casual. And as I said in my initial response Pam and I have zero issues with being overdressed on most nights.

I wasn't arguing for or against. I couldn't care less. I was simply responding to the person who said people should do something they don't do all the time. They seem to miss the fact that that's what many people are doing. Again, to each his own. I love to dress up. I do it every day. :D

I think some of it depends on where you are going. On the Pearl last year in Alaska, I didn't see a single person wearing formal wear. Most people did seem to be a bit more dressed up than you'd probably see in a warmer cruise. Of course there were the jeans and t-shirt crowd, and a few brave souls in shorts and flip flops even in Glacier Bay, kind of like the tourists I used to see in San Francisco with shorts and an over priced sweat shirt they just bought at the local tourist trap for $50, because they are freezing in July.

Agreed, we were on the mid-July sailing and the majority of the time folks were dressed very casually. We had the dining package and I noticed that folks in Cagney's and Le Bistro were more formally attired. I admired the few couples that I saw in sparkly dresses and tuxedos, and they didn't seem out of place.

I am guilty of sporting a junky sweatshirt from one of the ports because my "I'll just layer" plan wasn't a good one. It was 80 degrees in Seattle when I packed and jamming a heavy coat into the suitcase simply didn't happen. I didn't wear the sweatshirt to dinner...just on deck during the spin in Glacier Bay.

We dressed for dinner each night that we had reservations, treating each night out like date night was our form of fun.

I wasn't arguing for or against. I couldn't care less. I was simply responding to the person who said people should do something they don't do all the time. They seem to miss the fact that that's what many people are doing. Again, to each his own. I love to dress up. I do it every day. :D

Same way......I dress up everyday for work. I find “dressing down” as part of my vacation.

So, dressing down isn’t something I do everyday either, but will do on vacation. I’ve said it many times before, not sure why it matters to others how I dress on vacation.

I certainly don’t mind people dressing up on a cruise and I certainly don’t want to impose my mode of dress on anyone else, either. I’m betting NCL feels the same.

You/your wife wears cocktail dresses to work... right.

Edited by Notnewtoit

I always dress better on a cruise. For one: I do not get the opportunity in the job I work in. I wear dressier bottoms and tops, and dresses. I am really looking forward to my upcoming cruise. I will be wearing more dresses this time in the Med.