Air Tahiti Nui 787 News

twin123185

We have taken a round trip flight from Orlando to LAX on Jet Blue for our last 2 PG cruises. That 3 hour drive home first thing in the morning is always hard. We would have loved to be Orlando residents on those flights.

This time, we are flying to San Fransisco  from FLL the weekend before our flight to PPT from LAX. We'll see some things we haven't seen before, and visit old friends who live south of San Jose. We'll take a leisurely  drive (well, as leisurely as possible from SFO to LAX in 6 days) and fly to PPT at 4:40 PM. On the way back, we fly from LAX at 10 PM to FLL instead of Orlando. We, of course, arrive at 6 AM, but hopefully we won't  have traffic heading back to the west coast.

19 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We're planning to do the coast rather than the middle. We'll be heading to Monterey,  and then head south from there. I'll be working on the rest of the itinerary tomorrow.

It's a beautiful drive down the Pacific Coast Highway.   The Monterey Bay Aquarium is amazing!  It can be a lovely meandering drive if you are not in a hurry.   Enjoy the awesome views!  Sorry didn't mean hijack the thread (oops)

• 2 months later...

We just got some good news from Air Tahiti Nui...For our trip leaving next week and returning on June 18, we had booked one of the 787 flights both ways in Premium Economy. Apparently there has been a change, and ATN has switched our overnight return flight on June 18 back to one of the old A340s, but since they don't have Premium Economy on the A340, the upgraded us to Business Class for the return flight. Would have been nice to have the newer planes both ways, but that actually works out great with the almost lay-flat Business Class seats for that overnight flight.

Edited by JIMinNC

I would rather be in economy class on the old  A340. The 2 seats with a window on each side has always worked well for us on our past 2 flights out and back. The new configuration with 3 seats doesn't work at all for a couple. It made us choose between upgrading to premium economy and buying out the third seat next to us. I had not heard that they still had the old configuration in service. I would love to be upgraded to business class. But I never saw any  lay flat seats on the old planes, and we never felt a need for them from PPT to LAX.

19 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

I would rather be in economy class on the old  A340. The 2 seats with a window on each side has always worked well for us on our past 2 flights out and back. The new configuration with 3 seats doesn't work at all for a couple. It made us choose between upgrading to premium economy and buying out the third seat next to us. I had not heard that they still had the old configuration in service. I would love to be upgraded to business class. But I never saw any  lay flat seats on the old planes, and we never felt a need for them from PPT to LAX.

The 2-3-2 configuration in Premium Economy on the new 787-9 aircraft is exactly why we chose to buy Premium Economy rather than regular Economy. We don't like the 3-seat rows either. I like a window and my wife likes an aisle, so with a 2-seat row in PE for the flight from LAX-PPT we both are happy.

That was also supposed to be the arrangement for the flight from PPT-LAX, but we were informed yesterday that our equipment on the return flight had been switched back to the A340, so they gave us the Business Class seats. The website says the seats in BC recline to 160 degrees, which isn'y true lay-flat, but it's sure a lot better than regular seat. That will be great for an 8-hour overnight flight. Might get a few hours sleep.

They have two flights departing to LAX that night - ours at 9:30 and another later one. I think when we booked our earlier flight was the 787 and the later flight was the A340, but now they seem to be reversed. Not sure the reason for the switch.

Edited by JIMinNC

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:15 PM, JIMinNC said:

The 2-3-2 configuration in Premium Economy on the new 787-9 aircraft is exactly why we chose to buy Premium Economy rather than regular Economy. We don't like the 3-seat rows either. I like a window and my wife likes an aisle, so with a 2-seat row in PE for the flight from LAX-PPT we both are happy.

That was also supposed to be the arrangement for the flight from PPT-LAX, but we were informed yesterday that our equipment on the return flight had been switched back to the A340, so they gave us the Business Class seats. The website says the seats in BC recline to 160 degrees, which isn'y true lay-flat, but it's sure a lot better than regular seat. That will be great for an 8-hour overnight flight. Might get a few hours sleep.

They have two flights departing to LAX that night - ours at 9:30 and another later one. I think when we booked our earlier flight was the 787 and the later flight was the A340, but now they seem to be reversed. Not sure the reason for the switch.

Your post made me look at the cost to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy …. We paid $2167 for two economy seats on ATN on the new planes. If we upgraded the additional price would be $2300 more  ….. so  ….. economy it is.

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Your post made me look at the cost to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy …. We paid $2167 for two economy seats on ATN on the new planes. If we upgraded the additional price would be $2300 more  ….. so  ….. economy it is.

When we booked last fall, the difference was not nearly as big. As I recall, Economy was a little over $3000 for two vs about $4300 for Premium Economy for two, so about $650 or $700 per ticket. I felt then it was a marginal call based on price, but elected to do it as a compromise between Economy and Business Class and the get the two-seat row. Now that we appear to have gotten a bonus and lucked out with the Business Class upgrade for the return trip, we are happy we made the decision to do PE. 

Wow, that seems to be a big jump from Econ to Plus Tahitianbigkahuna! We were given the choice for our November trip and took it for $1250PP - definitely worth it to us just for the size difference.

After some research we found out that the Plus seating is the same size as the first class seats (not lie flat of course). 

On 6/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, buffbc said:

Wow, that seems to be a big jump from Econ to Plus Tahitianbigkahuna! We were given the choice for our November trip and took it for $1250PP - definitely worth it to us just for the size difference.

After some research we found out that the Plus seating is the same size as the first class seats (not lie flat of course). 

The economy plus looks very nice. The fact that you can put your legs up, to me is important. We just cannot handle economy anymore. It used to be comfortable, but now it is unbearable. IMHO.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

The economy plus looks very nice. The fact that you can put your legs up, to me is important. We just cannot handle economy anymore. It used to be comfortable, but now it is unbearable. IMHO.  

And age has nothing to do with it, right?

That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it! 😉

As I mentioned on a thread on the Regent forum, where someone was looking at a French Polynesia cruise on Regent and some of us were suggesting Paul Gauguin, there is definitely a lack of business class flights to Papeete.

Regent provides business class airfare as part of their cruise package for intercontinental flights. So, if I booked Regent from Florida, I would be in business class for at least the last part of the flight (and maybe more). With PG, I have to pay to get to LAX from Florida, and now I get a crappy 2 seats for my husband and I, and a stranger sits with us to do the elbow poking, and/or the thigh rub with one of us. We have a one way to Papeete on our next cruise since we fly back from Fiji. We paid 1600 for both of us to upgrade to premium economy on that one way flight so we can eliminate the unwanted third party. We didn't upgrade on the way back from Fiji since their plane still has 2-4-2 and we were able to get decent seats near the front of economy.

Regent is more expensive for a cruise around French Polynesia with the lowest cabins being aroung 12K per person, but if you turn down the Regent flight, you get 7500 per person as a credit for airfare, which leaves you with a tremendous bargain for an all-inclusive cruise at 4500 per person. I found this to be unbelievable since we have a Regent cruise from Singapore to Sydney and were offered only 6000 per person roundtrip from Miami for a cruise that is costing us 60K for the 2 of us. While it's easy to find roundtrip flights from the US to Papeete for much less than 7500 per person, especially in economy, it's impossible to find flights from Miami to Singapore, and Sydney to Miami for less than 6000 per person since economy is not an option on flights that long.

And both age and experience both have to do with it.

PG gives an airfare credit of between $1600 and $2100 (I was quoted $1700pp) for unused LAX-PPT flights which we will apply to a Premium Economy class upgrade from Coach. Our TA (P4L) can get us a better deal on ATN flights and from all reports, PE class is very nice on the new Boeing platform.

For our flights from Orlando to LAX and return, it was much easier for us to find 1st Class tickets with frequent flier miles on other airlines. 

I'm sure the Regent ship is very nice but we're really looking forward to our first PG experience.

6 hours ago, Hutchinj said:

PG gives an airfare credit of between $1600 and $2100 (I was quoted $1700pp) for unused LAX-PPT flights which we will apply to a Premium Economy class upgrade from Coach. Our TA (P4L) can get us a better deal on ATN flights and from all reports, PE class is very nice on the new Boeing platform.

For our flights from Orlando to LAX and return, it was much easier for us to find 1st Class tickets with frequent flier miles on other airlines. 

I'm sure the Regent ship is very nice but we're really looking forward to our first PG experience.

I was just amazed that Regent gave a $7500 pp for Florida to PPT,  leaving so little to pay for their cruise.

But, having done 2 PG cruises to French Polynesia, and 1 Regent cruise to Alaska, I am much happier being on the PG than the small (750 passenger), older Regent ships. The newer Regent ships are too big for us.

I just got a Jet Blue Visa with 50000 bonus points so our flights to LAX next April should be covered. I'm sure you'll love the Paul Gauguin. It's our favorite.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, SWFLAOK said:

I don't know if there were premium economy seats on ATN's airbus. We were always comfortable in our included economy seats, on the 2 side with a window.

I appreciate your opinion on the Airbus. I see so much about the 787, but we're flying on the Airbus next week. I like the 2-4-2 seating, but this is our first PG trip, so wondered about the comfort of the Airbus. Thanks!

1 hour ago, magroo said:

I appreciate your opinion on the Airbus. I see so much about the 787, but we're flying on the Airbus next week. I like the 2-4-2 seating, but this is our first PG trip, so wondered about the comfort of the Airbus. Thanks!

Depends on the class of service and the plane you end up with . I'm not sure which one ATN kept, maybe someone knows. I always say why worry, in 8 hours you will be in paradise. The older 430's actually have a bit wider seat in economy 😉

3 hours ago, magroo said:

So true! It's an overnight flight anyway. I'll sleep most of the way.

The flight we were assigned this time isn't an overnight flight. It's a late afternoon flight from LAX, arriving in the evening at Papeete. We're driving the Pacific Coast Highway from SFO to LAX for 5 nights before we leave, so we'll be adjusted to Pacific Time, and might only have a nap on the way.

But sleeping with a stranger in a 3 seat configuration isn't something that will happen for me.

We're just starting to research a PG cruise -- what is the consensus on buying your own air or using the PG air option?   We're from the Seattle area so we'd probably have to fly to LA on our own or does PG offer a connector as an option at an additonal (reasonable) cost?

TIA you all in advance!