Captains Club Question

Eric & Cortnie

If you are Elite or Elite+ you get other types of coupons too such as pressing. We always use the 30 item wash & fold service on longer cruises. We get a bag each for free. If we need to on extra long cruises we use the coupon for $20 wash & fold. We have had very little issue using this service and if we turn in our laundry in the morning when our room is made up we usually get our clothes by 5 PM the next day. To be smart about it we would never use this service for any expensive or unique item.

There are actually VERY few items that I would trust sending. Socks or Tshirts and sturdy men’s underwear maybe. Don’t send anything of any value or slight fabrics as it will be destroyed.

We only send items of little value too! Learnt the hard way my husband put three designer polos in and they came back 3 sizes less nearly £200 worth! But it's handy for the undies and swimwear.

We only send items of little value too! Learnt the hard way my husband put three designer polos in and they came back 3 sizes less nearly £200 worth! But it's handy for the undies and swimwear.

My wife always writes on the slip COLD WATER WASH ONLY, and everything seems to come out OK whether they listened or not. I would never send expensive items, although I do send out my tux and sports jackets to be dry cleaned without any issues.

We have not had any issues with wash and fold and sometimes use the pressing coupons to have items pressed after laundering. I would not send any delicate items, but since we usually add a land component before and after a cruise we do appreciate the laundry benefit for underwear, shirts and socks. We did once have a pair of DH's slacks pressed side to side, but this was quickly put right.

Sheila

The laundry on Celebrity was much better before they started giving Elites and up free laundry (we are Elite+).

We would send things out and they would come back looking pressed and some items even on hangers.

Not any longer. Everything folded together in a bag and certain items will come back wrinkled and dingy.

...... We did once have a pair of DH's slacks pressed side to side, but this was quickly put right.

Considering how many times they have done this and then needed to re-press the trousers correctly, I should think they would have learned to press trousers correctly the first time by now.

But apparently not.

..........Not any longer. Everything folded together in a bag and certain items will come back wrinkled and dingy.
We have only had that happen a few times in all our years of cruising. But we immediately sent those items back and they were redone correctly.

I think that as long as passengers are willing to accept laundry returned in that condition and they can continue to get away with it, there will always be some employees who will do a slipshod job.

Our only recurring laundry problem has been the incorrect pressing of the trousers, and that was promptly redone correctly each time we sent them back.

If enough passengers complain and send items back to be redone, maybe that will incentivize them to clean up their act and implement some quality control.

They have always done a nice job with polo shirts (golf shirts) which come back neatly folded.

Or maybe we have just been lucky.

Edited by varoo

The laundry on Celebrity was much better before they started giving Elites and up free laundry (we are Elite+).

We would send things out and they would come back looking pressed and some items even on hangers.

Not any longer. Everything folded together in a bag and certain items will come back wrinkled and dingy.

I'm not really sure how one relates to the other.

I'm not really sure how one relates to the other.

So many have free laundry now that they are not doing the nice job they once did when everyone had to pay, even if it was a special you were still paying at least $20 for a bag. I could do 2 weeks worth of laundry for free with all the Captain's Club coupons we both get for being Elite+. Prior to that I had to pay for any laundry or cleaning services.

The old adage you get what you pay for comes to mind.

Never had any laundry problems; T and golf shirts, shorts, etc, all came back nicely folded and unwrinkled.....DH longer golf shorts were actually on a 'hangar' as well as short sleeved shirts on a hangar. But, it won't be like home where spots are treated and wash water best temperature. So...I wouldn't send nice dresses or fine fabrics, but everyday sportswear came back very satisfactory.

Edited by oceangoer2

That sounds awesome! We are staying at the North Star Hotel in Dublin city center before the cruise and Clontarf Castle after the cruise.

Hi Eric & Cortnie. We met on the British Isle cruise. Y'all were on my Normandy tour. ;)

Since you are staying for several nights in Dublin, have you thought of renting an apartment instead of staying in a hotel?

We will be sailing on the cruise before yours. Other than a one night pre and one night post cruise stay in a Dublin hotel, we are staying in Edinburgh for 4 nights. Flying into DUB and then back out the same day to EDI . We have rented an apartment (something we do often in Europe) in Edinburgh. Other than touring Edinburgh, we will also take two day trips by train. One day in St. Andrews, and one to Abbotsford – Sir Walter Scotts Home.We return back to Dublin around 13:00 hours the day before the cruise. Because our apartment has a washer and dryer, we arrive with fresh laundry! :D

Never had any laundry problems; T and golf shirts, shorts, etc, all came back nicely folded and unwrinkled.....DH longer golf shorts were actually on a 'hangar' as well as short sleeved shirts on a hangar. But, it won't be like home where spots are treated and wash water best temperature. So...I wouldn't send nice dresses or fine fabrics, but everyday sportswear came back very satisfactory.

My husband has never had problems with his cotton undies or socks. I would not send anything that needs special treatment, womens underwear or workout clothes you care about. The elastic, latex does not stand up well to their “one temperature” suits all laundry. We were in a RS and it made no difference for delicate clothes. It was okay for men’s clothes and slacks. Great to hear that CS can get the same benefit that RS pays thousands more for.

I use the laundry. It is nice on longer cruises. On a week cruise, I usually don't use it unless I am staying on land before or after the cruise. You cannot get free laundry on embarkation day or on the last 3 days of a cruise. That means as elite plus, a couple gets 4 free bags and cannot use it on 4 out of 7 days. It makes you wonder what were they thinking when they created the free laundry restrictions. I do not send them anything that is really expensive or fragile. Those items I wash myself. I take older clothing for many reasons. I had a problem on one cruise when they used a marker to identify cabin number. It bled through on a white shirt. Looked awful. Housekeeping corrected the problem. Ask the laundry to separate clothing and use cold water. If not, you may get some shrinkage or color fading. They do not press unless you request it. The coupons are strictly wash and fold. I have also had my luggage lost by the airline and by the cruise line. On one cruise, I was without my luggage for more than a week. When the airline delivered our luggage, some of my really good items of clothing were missing. As a result, I travel light, stick to a basic one color ( black or navy), solid tees, a swimsuit, hat, rain jacket, hoodie, and some colorful scarves. I don't bring anything just in case. I hand carry items that I really need. Most clothing items are washable and dry quickly. I have traveled on land trips and riverboat cruises that do not offer laundry service. I only pack items that are easy to hand launder.