"goodwill gesture" OBC

We just got a message from Royal that our outside cabin on the Symphony in two weeks has been updated to now having an obstructed view. They stated they are applying $50 OBC to our account as a goodwill gesture. Has anyone had experience with something similar? Is it worth it to try to call and get more or is this just an accept it and move on kind of thing?

If you paid and contracted for a outside cabin and it was not noted and agreed at that time to a obstructed view, it is a change to your contract and you have every right to accept or not accept, You can require the original agreement be honored. Since your cabin is now obstructed they cannot change that so other compensation is need.

What you do is really up to you at this point. But for me in no way would I ever settle for a joke payment of a $50.00 credit. I also would not be dealing with line level customer service representative. But I have no problem or issue with going to war with the cruise lines if they do not follow through on the letter of the contract.

The cruise line needs to correct and make you whole to your satisfaction .

You could keep checking for other available unobstructed OV cabins in your category. I assume there are none right now or you’d have already switched. But keep checking as one might pop up due to a cancellation. Beyond that, you likely have to accept the OBC and enjoy the cruise, as others have said.

Did they tell you what the obstruction was?

I once had an obstructed OV on another cruise line. It turned out it was the corner of the thing they use to go along the side the ship to clean the windows. You didn't notice it in the room and you had to go up to the window and really look out to one side to really notice it. In port it moved and wasn't there at all anyway.

We all thought we got a good deal. We paid for an obstruction that really wasn't there. That and we were only really in the room to sleep when it's dark and might as well have no window at that time.

Unless the reason for your cruise was to sit out at the window and lookout the whole time, just accept it and let it go and have a wonderful cruise.