Are Cruise lines taking over Alaska?

angeleyes27

Wolfie, we were going to take a taxi out there but I will look into the trolley. It depends on the timing. Our problem is the timing of the ships tour not the cost. I heard from Saxman and you are correct that you can pay the entry fee to see the totems and visit the gift shop (I love to bring back things and there is many times no time for that on a ship tour). For some reason, I had been told that you could only see it with the ship. I am so excited!! I did think the price of shore excursions were reasonable in Alaska for the most part. I agree about the cheap helicopter tour. I would be leary. The tour that was hundreds less was of Beijing. We went to all the same places that the ship tour went (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven) and with only 6 people so I was shocked when I saw the price difference. The other tour was a tour to see penguins in Patagonia. We had nice vans for both and our guides were great. I have taken great ships tours too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just wanted to see the totems basically. I don’t mind that there may be certain things that only cruise ship passengers have access to and that is fine. I also would have paid the price as well but my main problem is that we only had so little hours in the ports and they put the times at the middle of the port time so that there was no time at all to see anything else in the port. I

In 2012 we (4 siblings and spouses) took a lovely walk (alternatively there is a public bus) from the port to Saxman Village (it was a sunny day and the temperature by noon was almost 80 degrees)! We were given a handout explaining each totem and we also saw the woodcarvers in action. We then took the bus (I think it is $2 now) back into town and visited the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center (http://www.alaska.org/detail/southeast-alaska-discovery-center) and still had time to walk along Creek Street and get back to the ship before all aboard time at 1 pm. It was a lovely half day and I even got a sunburn in the last place in the United States that I thought that would be a problem (on our previous visit it had been misty and drizzling the entire time we were in port).

In 2012 we (4 siblings and spouses) took a lovely walk (alternatively there is a public bus) from the port to Saxman Village (it was a sunny day and the temperature by noon was almost 80 degrees)! We were given a handout explaining each totem and we also saw the woodcarvers in action. We then took the bus (I think it is $2 now) back into town and visited the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center (http://www.alaska.org/detail/southeast-alaska-discovery-center) and still had time to walk along Creek Street and get back to the ship before all aboard time at 1 pm. It was a lovely half day and I even got a sunburn in the last place in the United States that I thought that would be a problem (on our previous visit it had been misty and drizzling the entire time we were in port).

Saxman village...we took a city bus for $1 each way (10 years ago). The admission was $3. You can wander around, take pictures...likely get within earshot of a tour where the guide is explaining various bits of trivia. The carpenter shop was open where they were carving new totems.

I seriously doubt it has changed much.

I don't remember you being asked to be the voice of Alaska.

Sorry, I was replying to bUU’s post about Alaskans and oil. I speak from 30 years living in Fairbanks and Juneau (part time) and working in various positions in government and tourism. Other Alaskans may have had different experiences.

We won’t be in Anchorage and I basically wanted to see totems and a clan house. I will pay admission fee ( not looking for anything for free or to cheat anyone) just basically wanted to walk around and see totems and a clan house but also be able to see a bit of the town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alternately, you could go north of town to Totem Bight and Potlatch Park. We took the city bus there, and there is no admission fee for either park.

One other thought. Many years ago there were concerns expressed in Alaska that portions of it will be taken over by oil drilling companies.

Well, I don't know what many other Alaskans think but the down south oil industry did take over and still are in control. To say they didn't means one hasn't been paying attention. Many argue that life long Alaskans, like myself, did well by oil so what is the gripe? It is true that there has been many economic benefits for Alaska from our ownership of the black gold. There is also a huge downside. Many don't realize the oil is still ours, the industry is here at our invite. In return for exploration and development Alaska gives big oil the privilege and opportunity to become very rich. As for myself, I was doing just fine before the oil producers showed, I could have taken it or left it in the ground.

With respect to visitation by vessel, it certainly is refreshing to see an element of our visitor industry robust and expanding.

It is true that there has been many economic benefits for Alaska from our ownership of the black gold.
Which is what I said. The rest of your comments are simply political perspective layered on top of the factual information I highlighted.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I don’t understand this post. We’ll be in AK mid-July, the cruise tourist season peak, and I was able to book several of the cruise line offered excursions for a lot less than the cruise line. There was no problem getting tickets for the Skagway railroad. The lumberjack show in Ketchikan was easy to book at 2/3 to half the cruise line price. Several vendors would offer significant discounts for floatplane and helicopter trips. There are four of us and saving $500/person on a flight tour adds up, especially when the cruise line doesn’t have a child discount but the tour provider lets the kids fly for free. Also, I believe anyone can drive up and do the Liarsville salmon bake.

I don’t understand this post.
I believe the expectation by some posters is that they are entitled to have every excursion available to them directly from the excursion operator at a price lower than the cruise line would charge them, regardless of what the excursion operator wants.

Buu, you definitely didn’t read what I wrote. I am not expecting to cheat anyone out of anything. I think I have things figured out anyway so it is no longer a problem

I’m glad it worked out. Going back through this thread, I agree on the timing of cruise excursions being a big impediment to going with the cruise line. That and price. I might have paid the higher cruise line price for convenience if the timing fit.

Buu, you definitely didn’t read what I wrote.
Either that or perhaps we see things differently.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

The reason that I wanted to do the Saxman Village independently is that we have limited time and the ship excursion is in the middle of our time there and wouldn't let us do anything else. For the tribal dance at Icy Strait, we have a whale watch right near the place where the tribal dance happens. I asked if we can just meet them where the tribal dance occurs but they want us to get back to the ship which means we would be late for the shore excursion anyway. If we met them there, then we would be on time. I just wanted to see the dance show as it is, not the forest tram, but I was willing to go along with the tram to see the dance. With the salmon bake, the timing again is wrong. We are in port from 7am to 5:30pm and driving to the Yukon. The ship tour is at noon which means we wouldnt have time to drive to the Yukon. If we could do it about 2:30 or so, we could probably make it but it doesn't look like it would work out. I had been told that they only offered these through the ship which was the reason for my frustration

Sent from my iPad using Forums