Bringing your own scooter on board

misha1

Hello fellow cruisers. DH and I will be sailing in CC class on Solstice in a couple weeks. Due to recent changes in mobility, DH has decided to order a scooter that we want to bring with us. Firstly, I checked on a rental but, since we do not have an accessible cabin, I was told that the scooter would not fit thru the cabin door. Since we have not traveled with a scooter before I wondered about a couple of things...how do we get on the ship in port? I cannot ever recall seeing people going thru security on the ship in a scooter. We do have a foldable device, so I am not worried about getting it in the cabin, but will I be able to get a cord to charge it with? I know cabins have few outlets. Thanks in advance! Julie

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We have scooters, and it is very easy to use them everywhere. At some embarkation ports they will take you o elevator rather than the long twisting gangway, others you just ride up the gangway. Never an issue! At ports, there is a hump at the gangplank that sometimes hangs you up. If you can walk just a few feet, you can get off and the crew takes the scooter over the hump. At dining rooms they give you a place to park, if you can walk to table. Otherwise, you ride to table, transfer and they take your scooter to park. There is a handicapped area for muster drill. Just ask about it. Any other question would be glad to help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for the information...if we talk to the folks who check us in, will that dot all of the Is or should we go to guest relations while on board? DH can still walk but distance is the issue.

So, do you always get an accessible cabin? This particular scooter folds up to a 25 by 20 by 52 inches size. Surely the cabin doors are large enough to fit that aren't they?

I always get accessible with my friend. She has a larger scooter and you can’t store in hallway. I think door widths are online? Sometimes accessible not listed online but available and they will move you up category sometimes if another room available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you really love the cabin you chosen, I would still call and ask if there is an accessible cabin available. Sometimes, depending on how far in advance of the cruise, they place passengers in an accessible cabin that don't need it, with the stipulation that they will be moved if someone with mobility issues does require it. It would be worth a shot anyway. Just not as many lips and rises to deal with, even if on foot.

Will they put you on a wait list for an accessible cabin? People do cancel for various reasons, so one could become available. Also, the customer service or special needs department should know the width of the doorway on a regular cabin. Good luck:)

Will they put you on a wait list for an accessible cabin? People do cancel for various reasons, so one could become available. Good luck:)
Good point...will check on that