Live Blog of Celebrity Silhouette 13-day Trades wind Transatlantic from a 22 year old

EpochTraveler

So sorry about the dinner from Hell, but glad it was only for one night!

Loved your accounts of meeting your relatives and surprising your Grandmother. Of the 7 Transatlantics we've sailed, we were scheduled to stop in Ponta Delgada on 3 of them. But of those 3 cruises we only made it once as the stop was cancelled the other 2 cruises due to bad weather. So after our experience, I can't imagine how devastated you would have felt if the stop had been cancelled. The sailing Gods are with you this trip!

Thanks again for sharing your most interesting cruise with us.

Hi Epoch

Can you please confirm if you have an extended concierge class room service menu for breakfast?

Also which drinks package do you have? We have the classic and contemplating whether it's worth the upgrade. We'll be getting on when you get off in Southampton :-)

Day 11: I see it’s another sea day.

I finally woke up really really early! (8AM!) I did my usual morning routine but this time for the spice of life I went to eat breakfast in the MDR. Food overall was good but the time it takes in the MDR I would of been better off eating at the buffet. It was really cold and windy so they had blocked off the top decks from us so the day was pretty blah. Honestly I did my trivia routine booked some cruises and took a nap did trivia and got ready for dinner which was absolutely lovely! My new table mates that were not weird were excellent and I made some more friends. I went to the martini bar for the first time this whole cruise! I bottle even flew my way when they were doing their flare work, but regardless I made some friends there and had the best time. (I had two 25th anniversary martinis and two margaritas. [emoji12]) as I finally galloped my way back to what I thought was my stateroom I nearly hit the bed like a rock and lights out for me.

Day 12: Late Lisbon!

I woke up really early to get pictures of us going to Lisbon but totally forgot we didn’t get there until 2PM. The alcohol really played games with me. I went to the buffet and had an omelet made to order which was nice the only issue is the lines are so incredibly long. Once the time of 12 came we were inbound to Lisbon so I went deck 15 forward right in front of the Solstice deck and took pictures coming into Lisbon. Made wonderful conversation up there and met some new friendly faces. As we got in I went to get my belongings and my tour ticket it Fátima. If you have a tour you have to go to the Silhouette theatre and then check in and either take a seat or run to catch your tour. I checked in at 2 PM and was already late to my tour that said to meet at 2:15 so I sprinted through the ship and outside. (Ship docks far from where the excursions are so be prepared for a good 6-7 minute walk!) got into the bus and headed 1 1/2 hours to Fatima. I have been here before and did the usual routine there. Afterward on the way back to the ship we had a panoramic city tour and it made us the LAST excursion back at 9:30 between security and the 10 minute walk back to the ship it was interesting. The stairs to get back on board were like half steps so it felt like you were barely moving up. The captain greeted us at the gangway a little upset but I smiled and said “We are on Portuguese time I’m so sorry!” I did get a chuckle out of him. I RAN to drop my things off because murder mystery was on again and the line last time was awful! After I dropped my stuff off I once again ran to the buffet because I hadn’t eaten since 1 PM.. So I swallowed my food in one gulp (literally...) and ran to celebrity central where I was greet to a half empty room. (I was disappointed I skipped dessert and now had a stomach ache all because I wanted to the show..) The show was wonderful and I need to give credit to Sue our cruise director she has been nothing less of phenomenal. She truly has been the greatest cruise director I have sailed with and should be praised as such. Her wit and humor is unique and her laugh is infectious.

After murder mystery I was Exhausted and I was out like a night lite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Day 13: the final two sea days. (Can I stay forever?)

I woke up late since I was super exhausted from the tour and being out the night before. I didn’t eat breakfast because I woke up at 9:50 and trivia is at 10:15. ZIP in the shower and zip out the door to trivia. At 10:45 once trivia ended I had to do passport control, they came on In Lisbon and clear the ship before we arrive in Southampton. It took 45 MINUTES. What was making the process worse was the passengers that were complaining the whole time that they are on vacation and didn’t want to wait In a line. I wanted to call the waaaah waaaaah police on them. They should be grateful they don’t have to wait with their luggage at the port. Afterward I went into the future cruise office and books lots of cruises. (Shame on me, my salary is about to go to a lot of cruises! [emoji23]) I had a wonderful lunch at sushi on 5 again. They are so kind there and the atmosphere was wonderful. I personally indulged in a miso soup, and two shrimp tempura type rolls that honestly rival what’s on land. Afterward I went to my room to do the unfortunate; Pack up. I was greet in my room mailbox with luggage tags and departure forms. I was sooo sad packing up and getting ready. Cruising is terrible for me I always leave with more weight in my suitcase ( and body) then I had intended in the first place! I finished packing and it was about 5:30 so I showered and get ready for our last evening chic. I went to the dining room and had some of the same table mates from two nights ago which was amazing and much easier to make conversation with. I went to see the theatre show life which was nice to watch and even had a small chat with Sue who was right on the side of me watching. She is incredible. Honestly. Then came the Marriage game show which was a complete travesty. These couples really were (coo coo) odd and their answers were even better. All I’m going to say is in a celebrity shower. This afternoon. You can make the rest of the assumptions. [emoji23]

I went to bed around midnight after a quick pit stop at the martini bar which didn’t disappoint. Then off to bed to watch my new favorite TV show Tipping Point (its British) but I love it!

Hi Epoch

Can you please confirm if you have an extended concierge class room service menu for breakfast?

Also which drinks package do you have? We have the classic and contemplating whether it's worth the upgrade. We'll be getting on when you get off in Southampton :-)

Honestly the menu in the room TV doesn’t say anything special. It the same as what is written on the breakfast door cards.

I had the premium package and honestly it was worth it I only paid extra for 2 drinks and it was a dollar. You get everything under the sun. Evian water, Cafe al Bacio drinks, drinks in the MDR and all the alcohol one would need. [emoji23]

Day 13: the final two sea days. (Can I stay forever?)

I went to bed around midnight after a quick pit stop at the martini bar which didn’t disappoint. Then off to bed to watch my new favorite TV show Tipping Point (its British) but I love it!

How were able to watch that show? Was it on the ships channels?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Andrew, I am sitting in our hotel room in Brussels reading your Blog and laughing my hiney off. We loved meeting you and laughing during our Trivia sessions with JAZ!!!. I think you might be on to something with this Solo Traveler Blogger gig. You are a good writer!!! Suzanne

.... I went to see the theatre show life which was nice to watch and even had a small chat with Sue who was right on the side of me watching. She is incredible. Honestly. ...

I think Sue Denning is often based on Celebrity Ship based out out of Southampton during the summer (when she's not on vacation). She was on 3 of our Eclipse cruises out of Southampton and it looks like she we will be on the Silhouette this summer

I think Sue Denning is often based on Celebrity Ship based out out of Southampton during the summer (when she's not on vacation). She was on 3 of our Eclipse cruises out of Southampton and it looks like she we will be on the Silhouette this summer

She used to call Eclipse ‘ her ship.’

However she will still be on Silhouette for our sailing 23.06.18:cool:

We were on the same cruise. It is interesting to see it from another point of view. We didn’t go to any specialty restaurants this time and found the dining room adequate although sometimes not exciting. After a very difficult dinner at a shared table with people who insisted on sharing their extreme views, we opted for a table for two on other nights and steered very clear of anyone who mentioned politics or guns. I can sympathize with the OP's experience.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise. I was not too keen on the new production shows which seemed to me to be catering to the audience they wanted rather than the one they had. We had seen reports on this site of chaos in select dining, but we didn’t make any reservations and apart from one evening when we waited ten minutes, we were seated immediately at various times between 6:30 and 8:30.

We were on the same cruise. It is interesting to see it from another point of view. We didn’t go to any specialty restaurants this time and found the dining room adequate although sometimes not exciting. After a very difficult dinner at a shared table with people who insisted on sharing their extreme views, we opted for a table for two on other nights and steered very clear of anyone who mentioned politics or guns. I can sympathize with the OP's experience.

Overall we enjoyed the cruise. I was not too keen on the new production shows which seemed to me to be catering to the audience they wanted rather than the one they had. We had seen reports on this site of chaos in select dining, but we didn’t make any reservations and apart from one evening when we waited ten minutes, we were seated immediately at various times between 6:30 and 8:30.

We must of sat with the same couple because that sounds really close to home. Yeah I heard about the Select dining chaos and didn’t wait more than 5 minutes. I went between 6:00 and 8:00.

I agree the production show was more for my age group with the modern music. I think they need to find a good happy medium. The west end “We will rock you.” would of been a really good show to have as it would of catered to everyone. I enjoyed the shows but I would of enjoyed it more if it had a plot, rather than costume changes and aerialists. Overall though I loved the entertainment this cruise!

Andrew, I am sitting in our hotel room in Brussels reading your Blog and laughing my hiney off. We loved meeting you and laughing during our Trivia sessions with JAZ!!!. I think you might be on to something with this Solo Traveler Blogger gig. You are a good writer!!! Suzanne

Thank you so much! Hope you continue to have safe travels and had an absolute blast with trivia. I did remember; we never figured out who The Schmoes were! The mystery continues!

Have enjoyed the blog, thanks!

How does the murder mystery show work, is it audience participation or just a stage show?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Forums mobile app

Both. It’s hosted in Celebrity Central. First inspector clueless started the questioning then guest can question.

As a sometimes solo traveler who was probably one of the younger non-accompanied passengers on her TA, a few tips for solos:

1. If you're social, let people know at the meet & mingle and sailaway. Be sure to sign up for the pre-cruise "Celebrity Connections" forum and say hello as a solo. Interact, talk about the ports, your hometown (you might encounter someone who lived in that area before). People may recognize you onboard and stop to say hello. If you're not social, don't feel bad at letting people know you're there for R&R and a bit of alone time.

2. A two-top table and open book is a good way to have a visual cue for wanting to dine quietly and you can always put it away if you encounter someone you'd like to talk to. Unless you're only in specialty dining or Luminae, the tables are close enough to converse 3 two-tops across without raising your voice. MDR tables are more closely spaced than most land restaurants. You can even pick up a book as a prop from the Library, as a measure against people who like to have contrary conversations during meal times.

3. Team up with another solo for private excursions if they need a round number. Some independent excursions are pretty interesting and you'll also find people who like to explore destinations a bit differently than the big bus cruise run excursions.

4. Tap the connections thread for a few dining buddies for specialty dining or ask others while onboard if you find someone you'd like to dine with. Qsine works best with at least two, though I'd really say 4-6 people work better when sharing dishes.

The fashion police are not onboard counting how many pairs of shoes you have... Well, there once was a woman who wore some rather revealing cocktail dresses which were definitely not the usual attire for someone her age. Several tables looked forward to her arrival in the MDR every night to see what her outfit would be. No-one actually asked if I had packed one sweater or had multiple sweaters the same color (accidentally packed 3 teal sweaters...). So a few less shoes might be ok next time if you want to skip some of the overweight fees.

The fashion police are not onboard counting how many pairs of shoes you have...

I have a pair of shoes for every day of the cruise and most of the activies. It is the pair that I have on my feet when I board the ship.

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅