Live Blog of Celebrity Silhouette 13-day Trades wind Transatlantic from a 22 year old

EpochTraveler

Day 3 evening:

Thank you for your concerns with my crazy heavy luggage and being compassionate with my 11 pairs of shoes. Luckily Norwegian Air Premium weight limit is 70lbs and when I get to Ponta Delgada I will unload a few pounds in gifts to my family I should be good with the weight limit even with bringing on tons of souvenirs.

So to be completely honest, I went to the CC meet and mingle which was interesting, I found that people were intimidated to speak to me probably due to how young I look and maybe thought they couldn’t connect with me but I met two lovely couples and we even played trivia together afterward which was a blast. We did make plans to come back and do another round of trivia but I totally took a four hour nap just to catch up on pure exhaustion from work. I did promise I would be back tomorrow morning for morning trivia and I will have to apologize then! After trivia I tried to get coffee from Cafe al Bacio but once again people were adding to the Silhouette Art collection on board and it was just a wall of statue so I gave up and instead went with alcohol which is just as warming as a good cup of coffee! [emoji23]

Sushi on 5 Lunch Review:

For lunch I ate at Sushi on 5 and it was delicious my server was soooooooooo kind. You can really feel the difference when coming from a Mass Market cruise line to a luxury line. I personally enjoyed Lobster Ramen, Chicken Ginger Gyoza and Shrimp Tempura. Phenomenal. Phenomenal. Phenomenal. Well worth it, if you enjoy Japanese cuisine.

When I woke up from my long exhausting slumber it was 5:30 and I had dinner reservations at 6:30 in murano. Today was also evening chic so I thought I would get a little snazzy even though Murano is smart casual I knew that dress code would be carrying over to Murano.

Murano Review:

I will start off with a bold statement. Holy ________ the food was astounding and sensational. My palate could not be happier with me but my hips on the other hand are slightly infuriated.

The food here was Michelin Star quality and I am comparing it to a few that I have been too. I am big on service and my waiter and assistant waiter were marvelous. Even other waiters who were not waiting my table would come over and make sure everything was ok. The team work in service really pays off and makes for an incredible experience. I personally indulged in mushroom Risotto that beat out two different risottos I have had at 2 restaurants in Italy that I couldn’t pick from. There was the mushroom foam on top that just made the dish so cohesive and truly an unforgettable dish. They brought out a seared scallop from the chef which was delicious.

Then the main event; Murano Lobster. Now I did do my research and know that this was prepped table side so I was excited and being from New England this boy loves his Lobster. Truly an experience when they flambé the lobster in front of you and a great show before your meal. My waiter had a wonderful sense of humor that added to the whole experience. Next was the stinky cheese plate. I got some seriously stinky cheeses. Thank god for good wine to push them down because yikes, stinky cheese is not for me! After that the cram-dela-creme was the dark chocolate soufflé. Holy _________ (insert your favorite vulgar word) this was amazing. I could eat 4 of them it was so good, but then again anything chocolate is epicenter of a great dessert. Absolute no complaints from Murano.

Only thing I noticed is the people dining, I could feel the heat in their eyes beeming on me as I was eating alone and it was a look of confusion/curiosity. It was uncomfortable at first but I got over it rather quickly as I paid just like they did to enjoy my meal, and since I paid double occupancy the seat was occupied by my virtual friends, all of you reading my live blog!

Currently as I type this with a margarita in hand I am at the sunset bar where my hair is blowing every which way and the boat is taking on some swells. Tonight we have the show Pearl and the comedian from yesterday will also preform tonight so I am not missing out!

Thank you for your continued reading and hope you enjoy my live blog so far. I will be including pictures very soon! [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your posts! Although a couple of decades longer in the tooth than you, I too am a solo cruiser--and dedicated to Celebrity. I get what you're saying about feeling some weird vibes from fellow cruisers when they see a guy alone who doesn't look "safely" retired. On the other hand i've met some folks on board who've become cruise friends and I look forward to seeing on other voyages from time to time. Have a great trip!

Hi there, and thanks for the blog.

We are traveling on the Silhouette on 26th May to The Baltics. This is making me even more excited than I was.

Will be following the rest of your trip.

Once again thank you, enjoy your trip

Toni

Day 4: An All day affair:

I have read all of your warm comments and will be responding to you all shortly but I promise I do read them all and smile in happiness and truly, I am writing this blog for those of you that are coming on and want a glimpse of the ship prior to getting on board as it was something I wanted.

So this morning we lost a wonderful hour of sleep but because of my internal work alarm I was up by 8AM regardless. (Yes, I have alarm in my head that just knows when it’s 7AM EST.. it’s the worst even when I want to sleep in I simply cannot!) I went to the buffet for breakfast as I couldn’t miss the morning trivia with my new found friends. Breakfast was ok, I was really hoping for variety especially on a 13 day voyage. It was the same fare as yesterday with some slight variations.

They have fruits, English breakfast, American Breakfast, Cereal and the omelet station. I went at the peak time just to see how well the buffet handles and honestly it was okay. Enough movement where there was a slight wait time but nothing that turn your then hot food cold. I am not a picky eater and enjoy the spice of life but when I don’t see variety I am easily turned off and don’t want to eat.

I spent the morning prior to trivia at the sky lounge. (Tip: I’ve noticed I get great internet in there!) I was there for circa 20 minutes prior to trivia then joined in with my team members. I played trivia and this time we did horrible. I blamed it on the two (delicious) bloody Mary’s I drank. {Also if someone can diagnose me, I hate bloody Mary’s on land but when I’m at sea I drink them like it’s water, much appreciated for the diagnosis! [emoji23]}

Circa noon time the seas were rough and when it’s rough seas I love to nap so back to my cabin and I knocked out for an hour. Then that weird cruising urge to eat kicks in (I do believe the motion of the ocean tricks your brain into thinking you’re doing exercise and that’s why we are constantly hungry) nonetheless I decided to go to the buffet as I had yet to try it. Once again, disappointment came through as it was the traditional American fare of Burgers, fries, hotdogs. They had an Indian / Asia station and Mexican but they was it. Food really wasn’t stellar yet in the buffet and I just got off Anthem of the Seas in February and they had a decent variety in the buffet. (The next sea day I’m going to try the dining room to see if I have better luck.)

Afterward it was back to my cabin to see the lovely (delectable, decadent, delicious) afternoon canapés they deliver to your stateroom. I opened the tray to these microscopic sized canapés that well... the quick urge I had to uncover the canapés, they were quickly covered once again. It was chips and guacamole, ham and a cheese spread, some potato salad that was a slightly alarming color (the color of a bad night in the bathroom 🤭) and some smoked salmon that was sitting on that tray for a while and if I ate it, I would of in turn created the potato salad on the side of it.

After my upset with the canapés it was time to reform for trivia with my team members and we once again did bad. They do say practice makes perfect. The kind British couple had asked yesterday to join them from music trivia and I think I am Rhythmically inclined to know music and artists from the 80’s to modern day. Boy did I join in on a great day. 60’s music. My own parents where toddlers when this music came out, let’s just say I knew every answer but for some odd reason it was always on the tip of my tongue and could never come out. The kind gentlemen on my team reassured me that today was better because yesterday was the 50’s so I told him; Oh darn, I would of got every single one correct yesterday but the 60’s was my cut off years. After trivia we could see Bermuda in our sights from the sky lounge so I decided to run back to my stateroom to get my camera so I can take pictures. (Tip: If you are sailing in, behind the Solstice deck on deck 16 where the sports court is, there is a nice area for pictures!) So we almost ran into a cruise ship on the way into Bermuda. It was marvelous to see passenger faces in awe of how close we were with the Marella Discovery 2 (Legend of the Seas), we did end up winning the horn war though! (Celebrity is very competitive at their horn war games!)

As we pulled into Kings Wharf we were greeted by Norwegian Dawn who was on its way out as we pulled it. The sky’s started to clear from raining all day to beautiful sunny weather finally at the lovely hour of 6PM. We all knows that the perfect time to sunbathe of course...

No specialty restaurant tonight but I did eat in the main dining room and sat with two solos and a couple, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Today I personally devoured a Scallop Crudo, a Mediterranean Seafood Orzo and a Chocolate Lava cake with no lava. (This chocolate Pompeii was all dried out before it had the chance to erupt..) all of which was delicious and finally had some variety I was looking for.

Currently per usual as I type this at the sunset bar with a glass of Malbec wine and the view of Bermuda I enjoyed today. Tonight I will be watching “The greatest showman” poolside at 10:15 then I might check out the buffet to see the “Chefs Late night selection” out of curiosity.

Thank you for your continued love and support of my live blog and hope you are all enjoying reading it, as I am enjoying writing it. [emoji5]

I was on the Anthem in March and felt the buffet was awful. I thought Celebrities was much better. They have a pasta station, sandwich station, salad bar and of course ice cream:::):):) Loving your review, keep it coming.

Norma

Okay, I can now settle down again, as the tears are no longer rolling down my cheeks after reading your description of the crudites. Really, Celebrity needs to see this description! Did you know you can request a cheese plate and it doesn't have to be the stinky stuff!

The Porch:

Menu:

cd5023ccbb80b31a2d6450c5fa699f93.jpg

Cheesy Bread:

3686cc6e90a6daee99af81816cc04e56.jpg

Tuna Tartare:

3850fbdd8d1893cc2de0a312142d8c66.jpg

Lobster Bisque:

ffbcc2154f01168a7f8af5b6b257bce8.jpg

Seafood tower for 1:

5f76c7e9eb58565d0c2ab7c3b14c2a74.jpg

Grilled Bronzino:

77b31503437a19f82fd504a7628a9c5b.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this. We are on Silhouette in May and I'm so looking forward to The Porch. Our only other X cruise was on Eclipse and there is no Porch on her, so this is great. Looks as though there are good healthy choices too for my pernickety hubby!! [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your lively review, we are savouring the anticipation of our forthcoming cruises all the more because of it. I was disappointed to hear that you found the buffet not very varied in its offerings though. On the Eclipse, we thought it was great.

What do you think of the entertainment on board? Apart from there being the lovely Sue Denning, we would love to know what the talent is like on board.

Have a great time and we will catch up with you later and thanks once again.

"Tonight I will be watching “The greatest showman” poolside at 10:15"

I did not realise they showed films outside on Silhouette, is this new?

It was a simple projection screen where the band usually plays, they moved deck chairs and furniture around and gave out the wonderful flannel blankets and even had a drink cart.

Thank you for taking the time for all your entertaining posts. I enjoy reading them daily. :-)

Do you have the itinerary of this cruise? Which will be the first port?

Thanks again

Christine

Our itinerary:

Apr 15: Depart Ft. lauderdale

Apr 16: Day at sea

Apr 17: Arrival in Bermuda at 6PM

Apr 18: Depart Bermuda at 6PM

Apr 19 - 22: Day at sea

April 23: Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal

April 24: Day at sea

April 25: Arrival to Lisbon at 2PM

April 26 & 27: Day at sea

April 28: Depart in Southampton.

Thank you for your kind words! I hope you continue to enjoy reading my blog!

Thanks for your lively review, we are savouring the anticipation of our forthcoming cruises all the more because of it. I was disappointed to hear that you found the buffet not very varied in its offerings though. On the Eclipse, we thought it was great.

What do you think of the entertainment on board? Apart from there being the lovely Sue Denning, we would love to know what the talent is like on board.

Have a great time and we will catch up with you later and thanks once again.

Thank you for reading!

So today the buffet for breakfast once again, slightly depressing, but lunch today they did MUCH better.

Entertainment is great. Everywhere you go there is something to do, live music throughout the ship and great musical acts, shows and comedians. The comedian they did bring on for the adult show was pretty much a sex show. It was like getting the birds and the bees talk from your friends parents, whilst everyone else listened into the awkward conversation. Many elderly folk did leave because it got raunchy but I did find the humor in it and enjoyed it.

Sue has been hilarious this whole trip and we just started can’t wait to see the rest of the voyage how she is!

Okay, I can now settle down again, as the tears are no longer rolling down my cheeks after reading your description of the crudites. Really, Celebrity needs to see this description! Did you know you can request a cheese plate and it doesn't have to be the stinky stuff!

I will have to give that a go! This time just to save myself from the disappointment I just put the do not disturb outside the door.

Thank you, I hope you enjoy reading my blog!

This is a great review.

Your writing skills are very admirable. Do you write for a living?

Will be following!

Enjoy!

I always though of starting a travel blog/podcast but current work really doesn’t allow to put that into fruition. I always wanted to do a podcast about Celebrity, and all my travels in general.

Thank you and hope you continue enjoying and reading my blog!

I was on the Anthem in March and felt the buffet was awful. I thought Celebrities was much better. They have a pasta station, sandwich station, salad bar and of course ice cream:::):):) Loving your review, keep it coming.

Norma

Taste wise I can agree Celebrity food in the buffet is better but overall variety Anthem does have them beat still. Today at lunch though they put their best foot forward and stepped it up. They must be reading my blog.. [emoji12]

Your blog is a fascinating read from a single cruiser, on a new cruise line and with young eyes to view things through.

My son (26) will be going to the USA next month for the first time (and alone) for 8 weeks travelling from east coast to west coast. I wish he would do a travel blog and ease my wife's anxiety whilst he's so far away!

You best believe my parents both made me pay out of my own pretty pocket to get an internet package just so they can FaceTime this beautiful face daily. In all honestly though, the comfort factor it has seeing a familiar face is wonderful, and without the internet I wouldn’t be able to live blog and chat with all of you!

Hope your son enjoys the good ol’ US of A. Send him my best wishes and safe travels!

Every cruise that we have been on there were events listed in the daily and also posted on the bulletin board for singles to get together.

Don’t know if that is of any interest to you but you should inquire if it is. Ask the Captain Club host, Cruise Director, or guest Relations. They may also be able to tell you how many guests are single and under 30. We have been told how many children, Elite and etc on board so I don’t think it would be a secret or invasion of privacy.

As for the Meet and Mingle/Connection party or whatever it is callled I don’t think it had anything to do with you being single. We have attended many and no longer go because it always the same. Passengers will claim a seat and stay planted as they are afraid that they will lose it and not have a good view of the introduction. After the intro of the officers attending and some words of wisdom from the host everyone immediately leaves except for those that are partaking in a gift exchange or had a private tour arranged with others.

We have tried walking around talking to some of passengers and I felt like you did and I was with my wife.

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

Whilst I noticed that posting I went the first night and it was more single older people looking to swoon some gals, I decided I’d rather make friends elsewhere.

I wish Celebrity would differentiate between single people looking to have a 13 day fling and Solo travelers who aren’t exactly in the mood to be frisky like the others.

It’s already bad enough I went on an adult cruise line at 22 by myself and everyone back home teased me I was going to fall in love with an old

Women and take all her money, I didn’t want to turn that into a factual statement and in turn will keep my distance from the single meetup. [emoji23]

Day 5 Midday, Sunnay, Hey Hey!

So I woke up dastardly late. I had plans to leave this ship for 9 and I woke up at 8:30 and my stomach felt like a desert, dry, barren and completely empty. I forgot after coming back from the movie to fill out the breakfast door thing so I could have breakfast with a view of beautiful Bermuda and not of the bottom of a passenger because she kept dropping her napkin next to me.. (it’s a story for later...)

I somehow ate in record time at the buffet and ran out the ship and caught the 9:30 ferry to Hamilton. I met one of the couples i do trivia with on board out of coincidences but I totally ignored them because photography was slightly more important than human interaction. (Yes afterward I did got and chat with them I am not as pitiful as you think I promise!) so I got off the ship and walked around Bermuda.

Bermuda is a nice novice training for London. You really have to change how you walk because everything is opposite from the US. We look left them right then left again, if you do that here in Bermuda or London the only thing you’re going to be left with is no teeth and a migraine. I did do some shopping but per usual on an island it’s expensive for a little semi naked lady shot glass. I even went so far inland to see if prices got cheaper and it really didn’t. I did buy my mom her Mother’s Day gift; a nice Coach Purse I got at a great price to my surprise, but it was hot and I thought there would be more to see in Hamilton but I decided to go back to the dockyard and walk around before heading back onto the ship.

After getting back on and leaving my stuff in the cabin I went to lunch at the buffet to give it another try. (It’s like a first date that kind of went bad but willing to try again..) So this time much better. More variety, fresh food was awaiting us and I came in at a busy time as many people were coming back for lunch around 2.

Lady’s bottom story;

So I usual sit at a table for two just so I am out of the way and not bother anyone whilst I eat. This group of couples sits next to me because the next table over is for 6. This lady constantly kept talking with her elbows out of all things and kept dropping her napkin and silverware on the ground. I don’t know if the excitement in her conversation kept causing this to happen but every time she dropped it she would get out her chair and bend over right in front of me as if I was not there. After the third time I picked it up myself and was going to ask her if she needed a lanyard for her napkin, so she could keep it in place.

Right now I’m on my balcony enjoying the beautiful light blue water of Bermuda before my dinner tonight at the lawn club grill!

I will be back later with some more stories and some lovely food pictures!

Wow, I'm impressed. Cruising on Celebrity for the first time but not your first cruise! When I was 22, I didn't know what a cruise ship was. Maybe there weren't any then:D:D!

Silhouette is my favorite ship and we will be on her in Nov again. Don't miss the Lawn Club Grill. (You might just get a discount the first night.)

I knew what a cruise ship was at 22 - the Titanic. :)