Civitavecchia - Alternatives to Rome excursions

Joyfantastic

Hello! We have visited Rome during our past 2 summer cruises, and are thinking of trying something different. Can you suggest other towns/places that we might visit instead of heading to Rome? Last year we took the train to Rome on our own, so we are comfortable with that form of travel. Looking forward to your suggestions! :D

How along do you have? Tuscany or Orvieto for a few days or head south to Gaeta. Tarquinia or Tuscania for a day trip, see the museum and Etruscan graves.

Viterbo is another interesting town near some beautiful gardens and an amazing palace.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned, and having been to Rome multiple times, I found “Cooking in Civitavecchia” a small cooking class right in town at a little restaurant. You can Google it or find it on Facebook. Class size was 8 people from the same ship. You are picked up right at the dock shuttle stop. We made tiramisu, saltimbocca, gnocchi and bolognese sauce, with generous pouring of wine to accompany the lunch. The owner/ chef is charming. Great fun and I highly recommend!

This is something that is on my bucket list. I saw it on the Amazing Race and I need to go here. I tried to get a group together one year but no one joined so I had to cancel. Take a look though, it looks like a great alternative to Rome

https://italytoursharing.com/civitavecchia-port/civita-di-bagnoregio-orvieto

Orvieto is about an hour or less train ride from Rome. Well worth it. Bagnoricio is cool, easiest by car.

We did Orvieto and Civita Bagnoregio with a driver this summer. Bagnoregio was my mom's favorite excursion of our entire cruise. It's still a drive, but at least there was no traffic and the countryside is pretty.