Under 18 rules

Pirates46

Just booked a family cruise for my parents 50th anniversary for next March. Sailing on the Pride. There will be 9 of us, my first time sailing on Carnival. My nephew will be 18 the week after we sail, how strict are they for him getting into the over 18 comedy shows and dances when he will be with adults?

It depends. My DD was 2 days from her 18th birthday and was standing with us in line to get into the comedy club. They were adament that she could not go in.

A few days later, on her 18th birthday, we went to one of the 18 and over DJ clubs. They had security at the door with laptops and scanned her S&S card to verify that she was of age.

Being with mom and dad is irrelevant.

We've seen them card people in the comedy clubs. At one time Carnival wouldn't change ones status if they turned 18 or 21 while aboard the ship, the status they boarded with was in effect for the duration. That might have changed, at 59 my status has changed to old.

On the Dream in November, they were going around carding people before the show started. They had a handheld scanner and would scan your S&S card. Saw them remove more than one under-age guest.

He isn’t going to drink the question was if he could go to a comedy club with his grandparents and parents when he was a week away being 18. I dont know if they carded, hence why I asked the question.

My son, going alone, was carded when he was a freshman in college last year. He doesn't carry his wallet around the cruise, and finally convinced the door guard he was in fact 18, without having to go back and get his driver's license. So carding can and does happen, and if he is not yet 18, he may be turned away as it is against the rules.

My son, going alone, was carded when he was a freshman in college last year. He doesn't carry his wallet around the cruise, and finally convinced the door guard he was in fact 18, without having to go back and get his driver's license. So carding can and does happen, and if he is not yet 18, he may be turned away as it is against the rules.

Thank you for posting this.

I made a similar post about my daughter and niece who were both well over the age of 21 being asked for a driver's license on Carnival for proof of age in the clubs and over 21 events.

I was beat down by other posters that I was lying and that Carnival would never ask for a driver's license for proof of age.

Strange to be asked for a driver's license on board a ship as your sign n sail card/room key has all the info on it and is usually all you need.

They didn't/don't have the ability to scan it (like security does - they can simply charge)...he was told.

... and my point was that they do periodically check for age. If they check and the person is not old enough, they will not be allowed in, regardless of whether or not they are with parents.

Take the opinions of folks who say you “should” be fine with a grain of salt... You might be fine. But you may not be.

I’m speaking from RECENT first hand experience.

You would think they would right? However there are a few who like to preach about following rules, while simultaneously breaking them.

So you think the "preachers" are breaking the rules themselves because.... why, exactly? Just because you do it doesn't mean everyone else does.

Strange to be asked for a driver's license on board a ship as your sign n sail card/room key has all the info on it and is usually all you need.

One would think that was so.

On the same cruise, my husband and I were also asked for a driver's license as ID when doing a financial transaction at Guest Services.

In any case, for some reason it seems that there are times when a driver's license is also needed for ID on board ship.