Soot Issue on Royal Princess Aft Balconies -- Update April 2018

WetHen

On 4/18/2018 at 7:45 AM, TracieABD said:

I have been in aft suites twice on the Royal. There was very little soot either time, especially on a Med cruise.

I will be on the Regal next month. I wonder if they corrected this for the Regal and the Majestic with satisfaction.

I will be in an aft suite on an upcoming Majestic Princess cruise.  I hope that this issue has been corrected.

Thanks for your responses.  I’ve booked Baja Cabin 739.  But not until April 2020. I’ll have to mull it over. 

We've stayed in Baja 739 back in June 2017 on a cruise in the med, there was always a little bit of soot on the deck in morning, which the room steward always cleaned up every morning. The soot was never a big issue, where as the room location was great, so great we booked the same room on the Regal in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a great thread.  Thanks OP for reviewing.  I gasped when I saw your hand.  Whatever thoughts I had of upgrading to an aft balcony on my upcoming cruise are gone, gone, gone.  Thanks also to others who posted pictures.  They provide a very clear image of soot issues.  Too bad.  

• 2 months later...

My husband and I were in Aft balcony B737 on the Royal in September 2017 on a 14 day Mediteranian cruise.  It was partially covered so if it rained, you could sit outside. If you're at the railing, the people next level up could see you from their balcony. This balcony is HUGE!  We invited some shipmates to a cocktail party and one comment was "This is a dance floor not a balcony!" Yes there was soot but the extra large balcony and beautiful panoramic views more than made up for it.  It was easily wiped down.  That being said, we are in the exact same cabin for an Alaskan cruise this July and can't wait!  I say go for it.  The pros really outnumber the cons. 

Edited by PandRBarry
  • Like 1

We have just got back from a 49 day cruise on the Royal and stayed in B737.  We had soot on our balcony every day, at times we were pelted by great chunks of soot and other times the very fine soot was on our skin and clothes.  We had to wipe down the balcony before using and sit on towels.  Consequently we were unable to use our balcony as much we wanted.  I took some pictures which I have forwarded to Princess asking how this can be classified as a Premium balcony.  I will never stay in this cabin again.  I have had aft balconies on both the Ruby and Emerald and really enjoyed them.  I really think Princess should advise when booking that soot can be a problem  just like they do for obstructed view balconies.

Betty

16 minutes ago, bettycoop said:

I really think Princess should advise when booking that soot can be a problem  just like they do for obstructed view balconies.

Since Princess is so intent on partnering with chefs as part of its dining program, perhaps they could get Bert ("without an E") to endorse the aft cabins on the Royal Class ships.

latest?cb=20160212082942

Edited by JimmyVWine

• 7 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, luvtoocruz said:

Does anyone have pictures or comments on the deluxe premium balcony on Deck 10 Caribe or Deck 9 Dolphin.  This would be aft at back of ship facing the wake.  Size of balcony, soot problems.    Thank you.

Did you end up staying on Deck 10 or Deck 9 aft deluxe premium balconies? We are scheduled for these next year and want to know how it went. Soot problems, air quality, motion sickness, privacy, etc. Thanks!

On 1/28/2019 at 2:45 PM, Eddie4Paws said:

17845E3D-7774-435F-9863-3541BE90ECD2.jpeg

C54F6AA4-2778-4535-B36A-C36FEF07D4EC.jpeg

4AE3A8D4-3D29-49A4-85CC-0C302A4FBAA1.jpeg

Eddie, how was the soot, air quality, motion sickness in these aft balcony cabins? I have Caribe C742 reserved for next year. Also, does the middle divider on the balcony open up to connect C743? That's where my brother is booked so we want the kids to play, thanks.

5 minutes ago, ehong said:

Did you end up staying on Deck 10 or Deck 9 aft deluxe premium balconies? We are scheduled for these next year and want to know how it went. Soot problems, air quality, motion sickness, privacy, etc. Thanks!

My husband and I have been on the Royal twice both times Baja 737.  Once was a 7 night Alaska cruise and the other a 12 night Med cruise.  First of all, the balcony is HUGE.  Secondly, we did not find the soot a big deal on either trip.  Just wipe it down if you need to.  I would stay in that cabin again in a heartbeat.  The balcony is so large, we had a cocktail party out there one night and one person said "this isn't a balcony, it's a dancefloor"! LOL

• Like 1