Noro-virus on Anthem?

jessed

Heard on the news recently that one of the local colleges in Conn. just reopened again after approx. 100 students came down with Noro. Some could have been on a prior sailing to yours. How and when you come down with Noro will differ from person to person. Me, on last sea day while my cabin mate got hit with it one day after returning home. Sailing again at the end of next month and will take hand sanitizer and anticeptic wipes with us as well as Pepto Bismal and anti diar. tabets and hope it doesn't happen again!:(

MARAPRINCE

This is a tough virus. It is really going around here outside of Philly. I cared for my son on a Friday and felt totally fine on Saturday and then at 3am on Sunday...UGH. I prepared food for my family on Saturday and had washed my hands, etc and then my 9 year old son had it in the early morning hours on Monday. Just really stinks while you are on vacation. No pun intended lol

Just a FYI, I got ill on FOS in March, beginning with passing out in Windjammer. I also had the big “D”. Because I fainted, alpha was called and off I went to medical. I was treated with IV fluid and Imodium and quarantined for 24 hrs. I was pretty sure it wasn’t viral because of a history of some gut issues, but we had a balcony cabin, free movies and room service. They treated us like royalty. There was no cost to me because they couldn’t rule out gastro. When gastro is suspected, apparently the cost is picked up (I think by the health department or some other govt agency). Our cabin was bleached down (I could smell it). The crew was very attentive to avoid spreading anything. My DH didn’t get sick. Additionally, food poisoning can certainly be spread just like noro. Anyone who feels ill with ANY GI symptoms should get medical care and quarantine. Don’t go out and about. It’s really not fair to others, and you can’t assume that what has caused your GI symptoms isn’t “catchy”.

Very interesting...we were just off Oasis...my son and I contacted Noro. He is type 1 diabetic and required (3 IV's over 8 hours) in Medical and we were charged $1160...not very happy.

He also had to go to the hospital in Cozumel and was treated there with another 3 bags of IV's ( cant wait to see that bill)

Was also on this sailing and my youngest son, 15, was diagnosed with it. He was quarantined in his room for 24 hours after last onset of symptoms. He was highly, highly upset because this meant he completely missed the 2 days in Nassau, which he had really been looking forward to. My husband stayed behind to keep him company, but they both insisted my other two children and I keep our excursion on the second day. We had all been very careful with washing and sanitizing hands. No one else in the cabin got sick, including his sister who was sleeping three feet away and cleaned up after him. We did everything the medical staff said to do to the letter, including all of us, sick or not, washing for at least 30 second in very warm water with soap- very, very often. That seems to be the big key to keeping it from spreading.

The staff was all over the situation and clearly had him flagged in the system. They waived both room service charges and video rental fees for the duration of the quarantine. Diet was restricted, first to clear liquids, then BRAT foods. He apparently tried to order a PBJ via the tv before the restrictions were lifted, so room service called him back and said they couldn't do it and asked for an appropriate substitution. I was impressed by the way the whole staff handled it and treated him. Medical was swamped for a few days, but they called regularly to check up on him.

We got a letter from Royal saying they would give him a credit for a future cruise scaled to the length of his quarantine as well. No word yet on what it will be. The whole situation sucked but I have to say his treatment lessened the sting as much as could be expected. It's not their fault. Cram enough people in an enclosed space, and have enough people get careless with personal hygiene and you get this stuff happening.

Just off the Anthem, didn't see or hear of anyone being sick. Someone at breakfast said they had an emergency evacuation by helicopter Friday night, don't know any of the details.

There are a few videos posted on another social media site of the evac, including the video from the Coast Guard helicopter. A man was in kidney failure and needed immediate assistance.

I’ve read on other reports of Noro that on the following cruise they don’t allow anyone to serve themselves in the buffet. Is this always the case after this happens, and for how many sailings afterwards is that in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our experience has been that if after 3 days there is no report of illness, everything is back to normal. That was how it was on one of our B2B's.

Very interesting...we were just off Oasis...my son and I contacted Noro. He is type 1 diabetic and required (3 IV's over 8 hours) in Medical and we were charged $1160...not very happy.

He also had to go to the hospital in Cozumel and was treated there with another 3 bags of IV's ( cant wait to see that bill)

Save all bills and turn it in to your primary health insurance. Last year my 14 year old ended up with kidney problems, never had before. Our bill on harmony was over $900 and our hospital bill in peurto rico was over $1000. I did not purchase travel insurance. We got home and my son had to have his kidney removed. It stopped functioning years earlier they said and just then caused his pain. Anyway he is fine and normal again. I turned it in to my health insurance and didn’t stop bothering them till they paid us back in full. Good luck.

Save all bills and turn it in to your primary health insurance. Last year my 14 year old ended up with kidney problems, never had before. Our bill on harmony was over $900 and our hospital bill in peurto rico was over $1000. I did not purchase travel insurance. We got home and my son had to have his kidney removed. It stopped functioning years earlier they said and just then caused his pain. Anyway he is fine and normal again. I turned it in to my health insurance and didn’t stop bothering them till they paid us back in full. Good luck.

Thanks for the info...so glad to hear your son is ok now...its very scary when you are some place foreign.

I am just starting the process with insurance...hoping they help in some fashion.

Was also on this sailing and my youngest son, 15, was diagnosed with it. He was quarantined in his room for 24 hours after last onset of symptoms. He was highly, highly upset because this meant he completely missed the 2 days in Nassau, which he had really been looking forward to. My husband stayed behind to keep him company, but they both insisted my other two children and I keep our excursion on the second day. We had all been very careful with washing and sanitizing hands. No one else in the cabin got sick, including his sister who was sleeping three feet away and cleaned up after him. We did everything the medical staff said to do to the letter, including all of us, sick or not, washing for at least 30 second in very warm water with soap- very, very often. That seems to be the big key to keeping it from spreading.

The staff was all over the situation and clearly had him flagged in the system. They waived both room service charges and video rental fees for the duration of the quarantine. Diet was restricted, first to clear liquids, then BRAT foods. He apparently tried to order a PBJ via the tv before the restrictions were lifted, so room service called him back and said they couldn't do it and asked for an appropriate substitution. I was impressed by the way the whole staff handled it and treated him. Medical was swamped for a few days, but they called regularly to check up on him.

We got a letter from Royal saying they would give him a credit for a future cruise scaled to the length of his quarantine as well. No word yet on what it will be. The whole situation sucked but I have to say his treatment lessened the sting as much as could be expected. It's not their fault. Cram enough people in an enclosed space, and have enough people get careless with personal hygiene and you get this stuff happening.

Your son will get a credit for each day of his cabin confinement. I was not looking nor expecting to receive a credit for my one day of confinement...just payment of my medical visit. I used this credit towards my upcoming sailing on 5/31. Just keeping my fingers crossed that Noro and I do not cross paths on this sailing!!!:p;):( Once was more than enough. Thank you very much!!!

MARAPRINCE