More fake service dog nonsense

Many studies say pets, dogs in particular, can add up to two years to your life.

Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville has therapy dogs all over the hospital.

Maybe we should thank those folks bringing Fido onboard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Many studies say pets, dogs in particular, can add up to two years to your life.

Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville has therapy dogs all over the hospital.

Maybe we should thank those folks bringing Fido onboard.

I'm sure Marlin Jackson loves the two years extra added to his life by someone else's 50 lbs. therapy/support dog, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4575742/Veteran-s-emotional-support-dog-bites-Delta-passenger.html

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4575742/Veteran-s-emotional-support-dog-bites-Delta-passenger.html][/url]

Ramona

Flew Delta twice last month. Did not see any dogs on board. Flew SW down to FL in January. My sister is wheelchair bound and the man who pushed her said that there were 24 dogs on the flight but that he had seen as many as 46 on a single flight.

I was contemplating the issue and I wonder if the reason why people do this is the cost of boarding their dogs. For my upcoming cruise, we are having a friend come to our house and feed our five parrots. We are paying her $15 a day and it only takes 5-10 mins to give them food and water. BUT, if I was to board them at our vet's boarding service the cost is $15 per day PER BIRD! I will be gone 15 days--that's $1125!!!

Aside from just wanting to have their dog with them on board, I wonder if some do it to avoid having to pay the boarding fees (which I imagine is considerably more than a bird).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Laurin612

I was contemplating the issue and I wonder if the reason why people do this is the cost of boarding their dogs. For my upcoming cruise, we are having a friend come to our house and feed our five parrots. We are paying her $15 a day and it only takes 5-10 mins to give them food and water. BUT, if I was to board them at our vet's boarding service the cost is $15 per day PER BIRD! I will be gone 15 days--that's $1125!!!

Aside from just wanting to have their dog with them on board, I wonder if some do it to avoid having to pay the boarding fees (which I imagine I'd considerably more than a bird).

Bingo! It's $60- 80/night (pre-tip) for our two dogs (they toss in the guinea pig for free). We build it in to the cost of our vacations, but a vest is a MUCH cheaper one time fee.

Aside from just wanting to have their dog with them on board, I wonder if some do it to avoid having to pay the boarding fees (which I imagine is considerably more than a bird).

Boarding for Bell is around $20 a day, but we have neighbors that watch her for free.

Truth be told, I wouldn't want the responsibility and work to bring her along. So I really can't believe it's to save boarding fees.

That's exactly the reason. And they have no problem telling you that. Many of these people are frequent top cruisers and the only way they can cruise so often is to bring their pets with them. The cruise line would never think of upsetting them and having them cause trouble so it is allowed and will continue to get worse.

Boarding for Bell is around $20 a day, but we have neighbors that watch her for free.

Truth be told, I wouldn't want the responsibility and work to bring her along. So I really can't believe it's to save boarding fees.

$20 a day is very cheap. It costs $45/ day for our lab if sharing the suite with another dog. Private suite is $60/ day.

I forgot how long your last cruise was but you must have missed her. After about 7 days I'm ready to see Tica (our dog) again. Plus our friend stays at our house and watches her for free so we don't like to push it And I wouldn't want to bring her on board either

I forgot how long your last cruise was but you must have missed her. After about 7 days I'm ready to see Tica (our dog) again. Plus our friend stays at our house and watches her for free so we don't like to push it And I wouldn't want to bring her on board either
Our neighbors ended up moving in to our unit. Theirs is being remodeled, so they are nomads now.

We were gone 30+ days. Good to be home

Average cost for healthy dog in US is $25-$45 per day. More $$ if the dog gets meds or any special treatment -- play time, walks, etc. 7 nights cruise is minimum 8 days of boarding or $200. Can buy fake vest for under $10 online and use it for next cruise as well.

Was just on the Anthem and I was sitting around one of the pools and here comes a woman with this dog stroller and what appears to be a Pomeranian dog in the stroller with a service dog vest on it. Saw it later in the day in the ladies room. This was a first for me. Have usually seen seeing eye dogs .

Average cost for healthy dog in US is $25-$45 per day. More $$ if the dog gets meds or any special treatment -- play time, walks, etc. 7 nights cruise is minimum 8 days of boarding or $200. Can buy fake vest for under $10 online and use it for next cruise as well.

I still don't buy that argument. Similar to the myth that it is cheaper to live on ship than assisted living or nursing home.

Who would want to be tied to the dog 24/7 for duration of the cruise. I for one, want to relax.

I suspect what one person is willing to pay to board his dog bears no resemblance to what another person is willing to pay: I'm quite certain some of the "comfort animals" provide more comfort because they aren't at home running up a bill.

I get $75 per day when I pet-sit in my home for clients. That’s also what we pay when we are out of town and have to have someone take our dog. Just has to be factored in to our budget....

Agree on the day estimated cost; just part of travels without them. Our two GSDs together at a regular kennel run us about the same, or a little more when figuring in the baths before coming home. Just part of the cost of traveling away from home when they are with us in the RV.

I just wish that having a dog or any medical reason for something special was better regulated and controlled by doctors. To me it should be very difficult to get a handicap special needs treatment unless you really need it. It's abused way too much and should be strictly enforced with a doctors note. Clearly if you can push your dog in a stroller and dress the thing up like a child then you are abusing the system. Where do these dogs do their business while on the cruise?

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor

My understanding is countries have various requirements of veterinarian certificates, vaccinations, etc. It is a lot of extra work to take a dog to ports. Only if I had a necessary service dog would I want to mess with that. My friend often boards her guide dog with the training organization rather than subject her to the stresses of travel as long as she’s traveling with family.

I just wish that having a dog or any medical reason for something special was better regulated and controlled by doctors. To me it should be very difficult to get a handicap special needs treatment unless you really need it. It's abused way too much and should strictly enforced with a doctors note. Clearly if you can push your dog in a stroller and dress the thing up like a child then you are abusing the system. Where do these dogs do their business while on the cruise?

But who’s to say that dressing the dog up and pushing it in a stroller means the dog isn’t preforming a service. You’d need to know what service the dog supposedly provides to know that.

My dog comforts me when I’m stressed or upset. She will lay across my lap or stand in front of me if I’m standing. She can preform either of those “services” even if she is dyed rainbow colors or wearing a tutu. She can even prefer that service from a stroller because if I felt I needed her comfort I could lift her from the stroller (however, she is far too big for a stroller.) (my dog is not an ESA. I do not agree with ESA as an excuse to bring your dog into a public place. If dogs/pets are allowed I do sometimes bring my dog, but mostly she stays home.)

Besides, if RC is going to allow pets on board (which it sounds like clearly they do) I’d much rather that “you” push your pet around in a stroller where they are contained, can’t lock my legs, can’t be stepped on, can’t growl at me or bite me... than carried around in your arms or sitting in your lap at dinner or shoved in my face in an elevator.

The real issue here has nothing to do with current laws. Current laws are pretty clear. It has to do with RC has decided that they will allow pets on board the ships and will allow them in the dining rooms. Whatever their excuse it that seems to be the case.

But who’s to say that dressing the dog up and pushing it in a stroller means the dog isn’t preforming a service. You’d need to know what service the dog supposedly provides to know that.

My dog comforts me when I’m stressed or upset. She will lay across my lap or stand in front of me if I’m standing. She can preform either of those “services” even if she is dyed rainbow colors or wearing a tutu. She can even prefer that service from a stroller because if I felt I needed her comfort I could lift her from the stroller (however, she is far too big for a stroller.) (my dog is not an ESA. I do not agree with ESA as an excuse to bring your dog into a public place. If dogs/pets are allowed I do sometimes bring my dog, but mostly she stays home.)

Besides, if RC is going to allow pets on board (which it sounds like clearly they do) I’d much rather that “you” push your pet around in a stroller where they are contained, can’t lock my legs, can’t be stepped on, can’t growl at me or bite me... than carried around in your arms or sitting in your lap at dinner or shoved in my face in an elevator.

The real issue here has nothing to do with current laws. Current laws are pretty clear. It has to do with RC has decided that they will allow pets on board the ships and will allow them in the dining rooms. Whatever their excuse it that seems to be the case.

I'm sorry but your dog comforting you is not a medical need. Just my opinion.

My understanding is countries have various requirements of veterinarian certificates, vaccinations, etc. It is a lot of extra work to take a dog to ports. Only if I had a necessary service dog would I want to mess with that. My friend often boards her guide dog with the training organization rather than subject her to the stresses of travel as long as she’s traveling with family.
Just ask Johnny Depp