dress code on formal night on Carribian Princess

papa41

Agreed -- you'll fit in just fine. You'll see lots of attire in the same style as yours.

On our most recent cruise ( Emerald to Alaska), the Maitre D' and staff were indeed enforcing the dress code.

Wear your pretty dress, enjoy the dinner, and I'm sure you will look lovely. Don't worry, be happy. :)

Were they tuning away all those not wearing a tux or suit? Were they turning away all he woman not waring evning gowns or cocktail attire? If not how were they " enfocing the dress code"?

Agreed -- you'll fit in just fine. You'll see lots of attire in the same style as yours.

On our most recent cruise ( Emerald to Alaska), the Maitre D' and staff were indeed enforcing the dress code.

Wear your pretty dress, enjoy the dinner, and I'm sure you will look lovely. Don't worry, be happy. :)

What did the staff turn away that they felt was inappropriate dress? Shorts/T shirts/ball caps?

I am relatively new to cruising. My first cruise was in 2005. But my parents cruised in the 70's and 80's. They tried to share with me the same experience.

We dress for dinner every night. And on formal night's we step up a notch.

My mom is about to turn 84, lost my dad 6 years ago.

One of my favorite things to do is look at their "formal night" pictures over the years.

Dress up. Take a picture. Your children and their children will treasure them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I have not seen that so evidently I have been on the wrong cruises. I must go on more cruises in search of this Maitre D.

Were they tuning away all those not wearing a tux or suit? Were they turning away all he woman not waring evning gowns or cocktail attire? If not how were they " enfocing the dress code"?

I think they definitely need to enforce the rules on the females. Have you seen what many are wearing as formal these days.

I'll answer the dress code questions in three parts to make sure of a detailed answer.

Part I :

The Maitre D' on our most recent cruise was Rui Perreira and his head waiters. They were very polite, quiet, and discreet, but they did enforce the dress code. We sat at a table near the door and watched to see who was politely asked to come back wearing more appropriate attire.

Here's a general list of clothing styles that were not permitted:

1. Ball caps and t-shirts. ( One man with a New Jersey accent said loudly to the Maitre D' "Hey ! How 'bout if I don' wears it backwards, but I turn it 'round frontwards like so ? Huh, huh? Youse unnerstand what I'm sayin' ? Capice, paisan? Huh? " ( LOL) The Maitre D' assured him that he understood....but.....no sir. :D

2. The new style high-end designer jeans that are purposely ripped and torn down the front and back by the manufacturer.

3. Capri pants and rubber flip-flop shoes. One woman protested that she was wearing "dressy" flip-flops because they had rhinestones on them. ( She was still turned away and asked to return with more appropriate footwear).

4. Any kind of shorts, both athletic running shorts, basketball baggy shorts, and bermuda-length shorts.

5.. Yoga pants ( the kind of spandex tights that women wear to the gym, etc).

6. Bikini tops and jogging bras worn by themselves, with bare midriff.

7. Knit polo shirts or knit golf shirts. ( These were fine on smart casual nights).

8. Men's Birkenstock-style sandals with socks ( worn by some German-speaking pax. A head waiter who spoke German helped interpret for them).

9. Tommy Bahama style Hawaiian short-sleeve shirts. ( These were fine on smart casual nights).

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

I have not seen that so evidently I have been on the wrong cruises. I must go on more cruises in search of this Maitre D.

I think they definitely need to enforce the rules on the females. Have you seen what many are wearing as formal these days.

Part 2: I kept an unofficial survey of what pax wore on formal night, because I knew that it is a frequently-discussed topic here. Here are the survey results of what I saw on formal nights.

Men:

2-3% wearing tuxedos/ dinner jacket

25-27% wearing business suits with dress shirts and neckties

50% wearing sport coats, dress shirts w/ tie and dress pants

15% wearing long sleeve dress shirts w/ ties, and no sportcoat OR dress shirts open at neck with sportcoat.

5% wearing guayabera shirts with khakis or Docker-style pants.

Women:

25% wearing floor-length formal gowns ( like prom dresses, or with matching jackets like mother-of-bride dresses)

25% wearing knee-length or calf-length cocktail-style dresses

20 % wearing dressy pantsuits ( matching jacket and pants)

30% wearing dressy pants with dressy sparkly top or dressy silky top

(I did not see any men or women wearing jeans, even "designer" jeans).

I am dressing as Princess allows to not only please myself but also my wife. I have been doing this for 42 years and do not intend to change that. Will stay with long sleeve shirt, nice pants, tie and athletic shoes. Have never heard anyone say it ruined their meal. I do hope some one complains some day. It would then get fun.

Part 3

When my husband retired after working for 40 years in banks and conservative business offices, he donated most of his conservative business suits. He did keep one dark suit for formal church occasions such as funerals and weddings. But, he did not want to wear it on cruises, because it reminded him of having to go to the office/ bank for 40 years.

So, for formal night, he wore a pair of lightweight wool dress pants, a long sleeve dress shirt w/ tie, and a coordinating sportcoat. For shoes, he wore solid black walking shoes that look like dress oxfords, but they are actually comfy sneakers. ( New Balance, Nike, Saucony, Rockport, etc. manufacture these, and no one can tell the difference).

That made him happy, and it made me happy; and he even got some compliments on his attire.

MDR is the only Princess dining venue that has formal night. There are AT LEAST 6 or 7 other dining options for dinner, so no one ever needs to go hungry on Princess, which has something for everyone. :D - EBC

Well I hope the OP has written down all those statistics so they'll know what's appropriate. :D

If they were confused before I'm sure their head must be spinning by now.

The bottom line is that on formal nights Princess does not require a jacket & tie in the dining room.

A simply dress shirt (even short sleeve) & dress pants are all that's necessary on any of their ships.

Well I hope the OP has written down all those statistics so they'll know what's appropriate. :D

If they were confused before I'm sure their head must be spinning by now.

The bottom line is that on formal nights Princess does not require a jacket & tie in the dining room.

A simply dress shirt (even short sleeve) & dress pants are all that's necessary on any of their ships.

I agree with your observations...do not believe for a minute the FAKE statistics....literally impossible to keep track of what people are wearing because they eat at all different times, in different dining rooms and enter through different doors....plus who wants to keep score at dinner......boring....:confused::rolleyes:

Part 3

When my husband retired after working for 40 years in banks and conservative business offices, he donated most of his conservative business suits. He did keep one dark suit for formal church occasions such as funerals and weddings. But, he did not want to wear it on cruises, because it reminded him of having to go to the office/ bank for 40 years.

So, for formal night, he wore a pair of lightweight wool dress pants, a long sleeve dress shirt w/ tie, and a coordinating sportcoat. For shoes, he wore solid black walking shoes that look like dress oxfords, but they are actually comfy sneakers. ( New Balance, Nike, Saucony, Rockport, etc. manufacture these, and no one can tell the difference).

That made him happy, and it made me happy; and he even got some compliments on his attire.

MDR is the only Princess dining venue that has formal night. There are AT LEAST 6 or 7 other dining options for dinner, so no one ever needs to go hungry on Princess, which has something for everyone. :D - EBC

If that is what he was wearing and they allowed him to eat in the MDR on formal night then according to page 16 they were not enforcing the dress code as written.

What you say is correct BUT you'll have to settle for something else besides the popular dishes that the main DR has to offer, especially on formal evenings. If you don't mind giving up surf & turf or filet mignon for a hot dog, pizza or pot roast then go right ahead.

This is what mainly attracts us to the DR on formal nights and it really doesn't require real formal dressing anyway.

Part 3

Sounds like the Maître D tried decently to enforce a reasonable dress code. What your husband wore, while not quite up to the "full" definition of formal, I think fit the bill quite well. Some Maître D's out there would let in ALL the "rejected" pax that you made note of. Good to see one who has a bit of "balls" to back it up!

What you say is correct BUT you'll have to settle for something else besides the popular dishes that the main DR has to offer, especially on formal evenings. If you don't mind giving up surf & turf or filet mignon for a hot dog, pizza or pot roast then go right ahead.

This is what mainly attracts us to the DR on formal nights and it really doesn't require real formal dressing anyway.

You can have a wonderful dinner in the Crown Grill on formal night without dressing formally. On our Panama Canal cruise the Matre'd from the dining room brought escargot to us in the Crown Grill!

does Princess have a 'dress code' for footwear for formal and smart casual nights?

for both men and women???:cool:

Yeah...that was first for me to hear they were turning away a woman in dressy flip flops! :rolleyes:

I have dressy flip flops that I have worn on formal night, but I guess because my dress was long they didn't notice my shoes!

You can have a wonderful dinner in the Crown Grill on formal night without dressing formally. On our Panama Canal cruise the Matre'd from the dining room brought escargot to us in the Crown Grill!

Yes I know know but why have to pay extra for a dinner on that night when the main DR has a pretty good meal since dressing isn't something we do anyway.

We only go once during a cruise so why not go when the DR has something less appetizing?

does Princess have a 'dress code' for footwear for formal and smart casual nights?

for both men and women???:cool:

Flip flops are generally not allowed. The are "sandal" types that cause mass confusion.

We are finally both retired and only pack a carryon and backpack when we travel. We don't dress up any longer but have not been turned away from a dining room yet. When DH saw a guy in a Hawiian Shirt and another in a Charlie Sheen shirt, he decided it was time to pack lightly when we travel. It would be nice to have early bird dining at 5m for people like us and have the formal attire for dinner after 7pm in the anytime dining room. Basically, that is what we noticed anyways on our cruises. The older we get, the earlier we eat. We will be celebrating surviving 50yrs of marriage on our June cruise to Alaska. I want a SURVIVOR tshirt "OUTWIT OUTLAST" for my cruise.

We are finally both retired and only pack a carryon and backpack when we travel. We don't dress up any longer but have not been turned away from a dining room yet. When DH saw a guy in a Hawiian Shirt and another in a Charlie Sheen shirt, he decided it was time to pack lightly when we travel. It would be nice to have early bird dining at 5m for people like us and have the formal attire for dinner after 7pm in the anytime dining room. Basically, that is what we noticed anyways on our cruises. The older we get, the earlier we eat. We will be celebrating surviving 50yrs of marriage on our June cruise to Alaska. I want a SURVIVOR tshirt "OUTWIT OUTLAST" for my cruise.

Good for you and congrats on 50 years. People shouldn’t care how you dress, within reason.

The older dress code threads usually get so diluted in arguments that they're either worth nothing or have been removed.

Hence the need to start new ones every now and then.

The only important thing to remember is that Princess offers formal nights for those that like them if you wish to participate in dressing up. It's a big money maker for photo's, wine during dinner & after dinner drinks.

If not, you can still dress casually (within reason) & eat in the DR.

It's the only place on the ship that you see any sort of implied restrictions.

On formal night, DH wears slacks,tie and sport coat. I wear dressy slacks and a glitzy top. We feel comfortable dressed this way. I’d also say that 90% of people follow the guidelines for formal night. On our recent cruise to NZ there were men in tails. Some people really get into the spirit and it’s fun to admire the outfits. I am always worried about the weight of my luggage. I can’t imagine packing a gown and all the paraphernalia that dressing to that level requires. Have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with your observations...do not believe for a minute the FAKE statistics....literally impossible to keep track of what people are wearing because they eat at all different times, in different dining rooms and enter through different doors....plus who wants to keep score at dinner......boring....:confused::rolleyes:

I'm giving my general impressions of what pax wore to formal night, because I wanted to help new cruisers, just as I was helped when I was a new cruiser. These are my general impressions of MDR dress on formal night, as a response to the newbie's question.

I don't have any reason ( or the time) to write fake news, as that doesn't help anyone. Back off the mean-spirited personal accusations. We can do without that here.

I watched to see how pax were dressed, not because I wanted to "keep score", but because I knew it was a frequent topic of discussion here at CC. At least once a week or more, new cruisers ask about formal night.

If we tell new cruisers that the Maitre D' never checks anyone, so "wear whatever you want", then that doesn't seem like the right information.

I'm trying to provide a practical, reasonable report of how people were dressed, so that new cruisers could have a practical, reasonable idea of what to wear IF they decided to attend formal night. There are so many other dining options that there is always something for everyone on Princess. - EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

Our last two cruises were a 28 day Hawaii/South Pacific on Emerald Princess and a 14 day Circle Caribbean on Caribbean Princess. I would put the "dressed up" group close to 90% or even a bit higher. Despite your constant assertions to the contrary (don't you ever get tired of the same old BS or do you only take very short cruises?) we have found that the majority of people do dress for formal night. The last cruise the CD made a point of telling everybody at the production shows that "tomorrow is a formal night - that means you dress up". On the 28 day cruise there were people turned away from the dining room for inappropriate dress and it wasn't even a formal night.

Thanks, Thrak. This was our experience also.

I'm giving my general impressions of what pax wore to formal night, because I wanted to help new cruisers, just as I was helped when I was a new cruiser. These are my general impressions of MDR dress on formal night, as a response to the newbie's question.

I don't have any reason ( or the time) to write fake news, as that doesn't help anyone. Back off the mean-spirited personal accusations. We can do without that here.

I watched to see how pax were dressed, not because I wanted to "keep score", but because I knew it was a frequent topic of discussion here at CC. At least once a week or more, new cruisers ask about formal night.

If we tell new cruisers that the Maitre D' never checks anyone, so "wear whatever you want", then that doesn't seem like the right information.

I'm trying to provide a practical, reasonable report of how people were dressed, so that new cruisers could have a practical, reasonable idea of what to wear IF they decided to attend formal night. There are so many other dining options that there is always something for everyone on Princess. - EBC

Just because someone disagrees with your OPINION does not make them mean spirited....new cruisers will find out soon enough that Princess does not hold gala balls on formal nights and tuxes and suits are not REQUIRED!!! :D