Possibility of Carnival changing our cabin?

Baby_Bear

When I was booking our Horizon cruise yesterday, my TA sent me a list of available Ocean Suites. However, when I selected a cabin and gave him the number, he was initially a little bit hesitant to book that one for us. It's an OS which has a double sofa, and can accommodate up to 4 people. We are only 2 of us. He told me the reason he was hesitant was that there was a slight possibility that Carnival might bump us from the cabin in case they got bookings of families with 3 or 4 people, and all the other OS cabins with the higher capacity were already taken. It happened to one of his clients last year, however, that was beneficial as the person was moved from a balcony to an OS.

Have you guys seen a lot of these involuntary bumpings? My only concern is, if Carnival was to change our cabin, what would they change it to? If all the other OS cabins were taken, the only option would be to upgrade us and if all the GS cabins were taken, what would happen?

Do you think I should ask him to change our cabin to another OS with a single sofa? Problem is, I really like our cabin location as it's close to the elevator bank and reduces walking for my mom who has a bad hip. I guess I was wondering what the chances are of (a) this actually happening and (b) what usually happens if there is a cabin change. Thanks!

Are there any OS cabins with space for only 2 people? If so, that is the most likely set of cabins you would be moved to. If you are OK with one of those cabins, you could either take it now or take your chances later.

The only way to be sure of not being moved is to book a cabin that has the same number of beds as passengers. Someone with 3 passengers in a 4 person cabin would not have a good chance of being moved but 2 in a 4 is a better chance of moving.

I don't know how you could predict the chances of being moved accurately, but based on reports here I would guess 30%. Maybe your TA can look at the load factor for the cruise and get a sense how full they are at this point compared to the average cruise.

In regular cabins they will not permit 2 people to book a 4 person room. I don't know if that policy changes for suites and, like has been mentioned previously, if there is such a thing as a 2 person suite. If there isn't, you should be good to go. You might want to ask your TA if there are 2 person suites and consider one of those to ensure you don't get bumped due to occupancy.

I guess I find it a bit odd that your TA would include on the list of available OS cabins, one that is configured for four guests, knowing there were only two of you and when he has seen a bump happen to another client. Regardless, if you want to remove the doubt and apprehension that a bump could occur (either up category or down category), just pick another OS that is for two passengers and in a location that is just as convenient. There are quite a few OS's on Horizon so the odds of being moved are relatively small but "there's a chance.....". ;)

Keep that cabin. If they should bump you, it will be to a better suite. If everything is gone, then it will be up to Carnival to find some sort of compensation to make it up to you.

Thank you, that's reassuring. You don't think they could actually downgrade us though, do you? Because regardless of any compensation they offered, that wouldn't be something we would be ok with.

"Upgrades" and "downgrades" are matters of opinion. Yes, they can move you should they need your size stateroom. You would not be offered any compensation.

I guess I find it a bit odd that your TA would include on the list of available OS cabins, one that is configured for four guests, knowing there were only two of you and when he has seen a bump happen to another client. Regardless, if you want to remove the doubt and apprehension that a bump could occur (either up category or down category), just pick another OS that is for two passengers and in a location that is just as convenient. There are quite a few OS's on Horizon so the odds of being moved are relatively small but "there's a chance.....". ;)

To be clear, the TA was the one who brought this issue to my attention. He was inclined to book another cabin. But I wanted this one, because of the proximity to the elevators so that my mom who has an arthritic hip doesn't have tons of walking to do. The other OS's that are free are not as well located. And all the free OS's are for either 3 or 4 people. I guess I'm a little surprised as I had thought the moving of cabins was more related to guarantees. We've done about 7-8 cruises now on various lines and never had a cabin change and we have always been in suites that can take 3 or 4. At this point, I'm thinking to wait till final payment date in June to see if additional OS's open up in good locations.

To be clear, the TA was the one who brought this issue to my attention. He was inclined to book another cabin. But I wanted this one, because of the proximity to the elevators so that my mom who has an arthritic hip doesn't have tons of walking to do. The other OS's that are free are not as well located. And all the free OS's are for either 3 or 4 people. I guess I'm a little surprised as I had thought the moving of cabins was more related to guarantees. We've done about 7-8 cruises now on various lines and never had a cabin change and we have always been in suites that can take 3 or 4. At this point, I'm thinking to wait till final payment date in June to see if additional OS's open up in good locations.

I guess I misunderstood the situation with the TA and the available cabins you had to chose from, my apologies. If there are no OS's right now that fit your needs, there may well be currently booked OS cabins come available shortly before/at/after final payment so it probably won't hurt to sit tight for a couple of months and see if that happens.

Edited by joepeka

"Upgrades" and "downgrades" are matters of opinion. Yes, they can move you should they need your size stateroom. You would not be offered any compensation.

I had my cabin changed without even notifying me... and it didnt occur to me to check.

I booked the 1A that is larger than a regular cabin with a port hole and was quite looking forward to it. I was a solo cruiser so didnt care if the beds didnt push together.

Carnival bumped me to what I guess they thought was a upgrade, a very tiny 4j, the one that does have a window out to a area where you can walk, except we had bad weather and I couldnt walk out there.

The cabin was a HC and very much smaller than a regular inside, and half the cabin was the HC bathroom.

I was pretty pissed off, and I even boarded and unpacked in the cabin I had selected, just never crossed my mind they would upgrade me without anyone including my PVP notifying me. Had to pack up and move, and then saw how tiny the new cabin was. technically a upgrade, but I wanted the large 1A with portholes, booked well in advance.

So, it does happen ....

In regular cabins they will not permit 2 people to book a 4 person room

That's not always the case. It depends on the sailing and whether or not it is capacity controlled. I have seen sailings that were capacity controlled for months so that 2 people could not book cabins for 3-4. Then, as the final payment date was drawing near, Carnival removed the capacity controlled status and opened up all cabins so that parties of 1-2 could book cabins of 3-4. Our group just recently booked the Panorama for 2020 and triple/quad cabins were available for booking by 1 or 2 persons.

That's not always the case. It depends on the sailing and whether or not it is capacity controlled. I have seen sailings that were capacity controlled for months so that 2 people could not book cabins for 3-4. Then, as the final payment date was drawing near, Carnival removed the capacity controlled status and opened up all cabins so that parties of 1-2 could book cabins of 3-4. Our group just recently booked the Panorama for 2020 and triple/quad cabins were available for booking by 1 or 2 persons.

True. I booked once 3 weeks out and got a 4 person cabin as a solo.