On-board thefts

emam

I accidentally went to far with my back button and came across a thread on the Princess site. I thought I would see if anyone has had the same on P&O.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2627335

Quote "I posted about this on Princess passenger Facebook forum, annoyingly on our recent cruise our door decoration was stolen. No big deal but still not great Amongst all the replies i was amazed at the amount of thefts passengers have suffered from whilst cruising. Cameras, sun cream even sun bed towel clips. Is this a sign of the times"

I have never personally experienced a theft on a ship, nor heard about it directly from anyone who has.

Ships gossip being what it is these stories tend to go round if something happens and I haven’t even heard gossip about it.

There are CCTVs all over ships so a thief is likely to get caught. Also unlike a hotel where a thief can get away from the area with any stolen goods, they are stuck with the evidence on the ship, unless it’s just before disembarkation.

Like any other holiday I exercise caution with my personal effects, make sure the cabin is located and use the safe but I dont worry about it particularly.

Perhaps I will after others have replied:o

The only thing I can remember having taken was on a recent cruise where a voucher for a duty free bottle of spirits was put into the letter rack outside every cabin. Both our neighbours received one as we asked but when we returned to our cabin there wasn't a voucher there. We can only assume someone removed it. No problem, we just asked Reception for another one when we told them what had happened. I'm not sure that it would have done anyone any good as you had to put your cabin number on the voucher when you claimed the cheap duty free bottle. I have noticed on recent cruises that if an envelope arrives with the passenger's name on it then the cabin steward seems to put it inside the cabin, it's not left in the letter rack.

They used to put your booked excursion tickets in the letter rack, now they are put in your cabin. We use the safe for anything that can go in it, as often the cabin door is left open when the steward is cleaning and don't want to put temptaton in anyones way.

There was a cruise program on TV last year that went into somewhere in Scotland, It was The Orkneys I think.. Anyway they spoke to one shopkeeper there who said whenever a cruiseship is in they have loads of shoplifting. I was shocked

There was a cruise program on TV last year that went into somewhere in Scotland, It was The Orkneys I think.. Anyway they spoke to one shopkeeper there who said whenever a cruiseship is in they have loads of shoplifting. I was shocked

On our first cruise, Sea Princess, I asked the librarian why the cupboards were locked when she wasn't there, and she said because books disappear... and someone had broken into a cupboard one day and taken travel books.... I think many travel books disappeared...

We have ONE from the old Arcadia!

But let me explain, we were in a balcony cabin, and the dividing door between us and the next door kept coming undone. We found a teaspoon with a tapering handle that fitted the square hole in the catch, so we able to re lock it. We kept it on one side, and somehow it got packed on the last day. Never thought to take it back on the next cruise!

We were also given a bag of children's toys when Arcadia was turned into a Adult Only ship. A friend's daughter was on the youth crew, and knowing that we had grand children, arranged for us to have some of the unwanted toys they were disposing of.

Not experienced any misfortunes on board but on a visit to St Kitts on Britannia, we visited a resort for the day, only to have the misfortune in that numerous staff from the ship found their way there. Unsavoury behaviour apart, we left some of our belongings to take some lunch. My partner went back to gather our towels, which had been thrown off our loungers by said staff. I enquired where my hat was to be told she hadn't seen it. I went to look and one of the entertainment team was wearing it. How I kept my cool was admirable for me. !!

Not experienced any misfortunes on board but on a visit to St Kitts on Britannia, we visited a resort for the day, only to have the misfortune in that numerous staff from the ship found their way there. Unsavoury behaviour apart, we left some of our belongings to take some lunch. My partner went back to gather our towels, which had been thrown off our loungers by said staff. I enquired where my hat was to be told she hadn't seen it. I went to look and one of the entertainment team was wearing it. How I kept my cool was admirable for me. !!

perhaps they should throw towels off loungers more on board ship not just off, when people go away and 'reserve' them.

I acquired one as I had a bad cough. Bought medicine used the teaspoon for the linctus and kept it in the box with the cough medicine. Forgot about it on last day hence it came home with me.

I have heard some lame excuses for nicking spoons, but that beats them all.;p

Though not technically constituting a theft, my wife lost a very expensive gold bracelet on Aurora last year. The clasp must have failed between our cabin (where she put it on) and the restaurant (where she noticed it had disappeared). I immediately retraced our steps, checking the floor (including lift) between our table and our cabin, but it was nowhere to be seen.

We reported the loss to Reception immediately hoping that it would be handed in but it never was. The ships security team pulled our cabin apart to see if they could find it but they couldn’t (I think they do this to spook people who make fraudulent theft claims, but we were grateful that they helped try to find it).

We came to the regrettable conclusion that a fellow passenger picked it up and either thought it was a pretty bracelet and it was their lucky day, or realised that it was worth quite a bit of money. We just couldn’t see any of the crew pocketing it, given how tight the security is and the consequences if it was ever discovered in their possession, knowing that the loss would have been reported.

Thankfully, once home we were able to find an exact new replacement and our insurers paid for it, less just £100 excess.

I lost a brooch onboard once. Same thing must have fallen off between 2 places. Not an expensive one by any means but unusal. Anyway retraced route, never did find it. I also would not imagine a crew member would have taken it, same reasons.

Never ever had anything go from the cabin. If we are not there everything is put away.

Sadly, even among your fellow passengers there will be a few who are light fingered.

Absolutely. It would be naive of us to think that the profile of cruisers doesn’t mirror society in general. I think that some people have a misguided belief that not handing in lost property isn’t really theft (finders keepers etc) but knowing how upset my wife was at losing her bracelet (which, in addition to being very expensive had great sentimental value), I always hand in the most trivial items of lost property that I find.

Absolutely. It would be naive of us to think that the profile of cruisers doesn’t mirror society in general. I think that some people have a misguided belief that not handing in lost property isn’t really theft (finders keepers etc) but knowing how upset my wife was at losing her bracelet (which, in addition to being very expensive had great sentimental value), I always hand in the most trivial items of lost property that I find.
I agree with you and was saddened to hear your dear wife had lost such a precious sentimental item.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Just thought I would show another side to this problem.

A coupe of years ago we had just boarded (not P and O) and sat having lunch in the buffer. We got up and went back to the cabin where we realised I'd left a bag with my brand new iPad on the chair. I was pretty gutted as you can imagine.

We raced back to the buffet where we were greeted by an older American couple who said 'we thought you'd be back!'

This lovely couple had sat guarding the bag until we returned and I was able to retrieve my iPad and breathe again.

So whilst thefts may occur it's good to know there ARE also some decent people around.

Petty theft is just another example of the general lessening of standards.

Back in '67, our cabin doors weren't locked on The Queen of Bermuda.

In 1980, I lost my glasses on the Strøget in Copenhagen. Upon retracing my steps, I found a young man standing over them to prevent them from being stepped on. He wouldn't take payment.

Ira

We did a Xmas back to back a few years ago, the first week was fine with Xmas decorations on a lot of doors, we had a festive Santa on ours. The first day of the second week the cruise filled with Kids and our Santa disappeared never to be seen again, I did go to reception to enquire if they might be able to look into it but was told the ship was full of children and a shrug of the shoulders.

A couple of years before that my wallet fell out of my trousers onto the deck by a bar, my name went out over the tannoy and I went to reception and it was all there nothing missing.

Funny old world.

Without naming the cruise line or ship one person in our group had cash and their credit card number taken from their cabin. The card was not taken however the number was subsequently used in a transaction. (Later reimbursed by the credit card company). The mistake made was to leave the cash and card out on the bed during the lifeboat drill. This is the ideal time for cabin stewards to get access to the cabins without being suspicious as a.) No passengers are there and b.) they can be instructed to check for any passengers still in their cabins instead of at the drill.

Notification of the theft was made to the ships head of security however there was no real commitment to resolving it on board. Doesn't look good on the cruise line if its the stewards that are doing the pilfering.

Lesson: Make sure at all times valuables are locked away especially during the lifeboat drill.