Cozumel vs Bahamas

ColSavLan

If choosing between itineraries of Half Moon Cay and Nassau (we would probably go to Atlantis in Nassau) or Cozumel and Progreso, which would you choose? And if you have time please tell why.

what time of year?

IMO, each itinerary has 1 good port one bad port.

Not a fan of Nassau and Atlantis is overrated and over priced.

Half Moon Cay is nice, especially if you get a cabana.

Progresso has a long ,long pier and the beaches near port are so-so. Best if you which to see some of the Maya Ruins. But once you've done that, not a lot to attract.

Cozumel has decent beaches (but not like Eastern Caribbean beaches), good bars and restaurants, a very scenic east side. Shopping is generally good if you like certain items and ability to haggle.

I'm with crewsweeper - if we ever pull into Nassau again I'm staying on the ship.

Cozumel is one of the easiest and safest ports to do on your own, with lots of options for beaches, snorkeling, etc. Seeing the Mayan ruins from Coz is an all day tour involving a ferry to/from the mainland -- you'll spend more time getting there and back than at the ruins.

I agree with the consensus that Cozumel/Progresso is probably a better combination with Cozumel as water sports/ beach day and Progresso as ruins/Merida.

I have never been to Half Moon but have been to other private Bahama islands. I thought Nassau was actually improved on a recent visit. At that time of year I would say the hurricane risk may be slightly higher in the Bahamas and itinerary may get changed anyway but that could be true on either route

The only reason to go to the Bahamas is to scuba dive unless someone is paying you to do so. I agree with the dive or stay on the ship for the Bahamas.

Not a fan of the private islands, but I live in FL, so they offer me nothing I don't have at home.

Never been to Progresso.

Love Cozumel. Great diving, good snorkeling, several all inclusive beach places, good parks, and the best bar in the Caribbean - Coconuts.

I'm with crewsweeper - if we ever pull into Nassau again I'm staying on the ship.

Cozumel is one of the easiest and safest ports to do on your own, with lots of options for beaches, snorkeling, etc. Seeing the Mayan ruins from Coz is an all day tour involving a ferry to/from the mainland -- you'll spend more time getting there and back than at the ruins.

Because you spend more time getting there and back than at the Mayan ruins, then do you think it is better to do something else there or is it worth it in spite of the time getting there and back?

Because you spend more time getting there and back than at the Mayan ruins, then do you think it is better to do something else there or is it worth it in spite of the time getting there and back?

If you are doing the Cozumel route you are better off doing ruins from Progresso.