Considering Rivera Deck suite

PureMI

The following comment is from the cabin review compilation at the top of this forum. It is for R401 on the Emerald and was submitted in 2016. There is another one with a similar complaint from 2015.

"Directly below Lido Deck where they stack the chairs and loungers every PM and AM. It seems they dropped the loungers on the deck every morning at 6:00 AM which caused a loud thud and vibration in the room, over and over. Not a pleasant way to be awakened. We heard the footsteps from Lido above day and night. Would not take this cabin again if they gave it away."

We've had R410, R412 and R415 on Grand class ships and never had problems. I guess if you book this deck and get noise problems, a word with the hotel manager would help get staff to be more considerate when they shift the furniture.

It wasn't in a suite but in the balcony cabins just forward of the suites ....

Would have traded that room in for anything else, even an inside cabin just to get some sleep!! It was horrible! Not only were we shaken awake in the mornings when the crew was setting up the loungers on the pool deck above, you can hear footsteps of anybody with hard soled shoes above you. We talked to some passengers in the suites adjacent to our cabin and they also mentioned the ping pong table that was set up right above their cabins added to the problem. Just know that there is NO sleep to be had on the evening of any deck party, either.

If the room was free is the only way I might consider it.

My post from another thread:

We were in R405 on the Ruby’s sister, the Emerald. In that location we had very little noise from the Lido deck above. What we did have was a noise around 1:30-2:00 in the morning that woke us up three straight nights before it disappeared. We did bring the noise to the attention of Passenger Services after the first two occurrences but they never indicated a source of the noise or if they actually did anything.

My complaint is about the depth of the balconies at only 5 feet. You can’t have your lounge chairs facing the sea and there is only space for two chairs at the table and only two are provided. The overhang of the Lido is more than 9 feet so there is almost never any sun on the balcony. We did have very nice views sailing into the Stockholm Archipelago.

On the older Grand class ships the penthouse suites are on Caribe deck with 9 foot deep balconies. The aft suite balconies are all deeper but do vary by deck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been on over 30 cruises with Princess and I think Caribe or Baja decks are the best.

Tony

I agree, but then just being on a ship as long as it's not an inside cabin is perfectly fine.

We had R405 on the Crown (sister ship to Ruby and Emerald) for the April 3 transatlantic. We were aware of, but not really bothered by, noise from the Lido.

I would agree with IECalCruiser that the worst thing about those Riviera suites is having a balcony so shallow that the nice teak furniture is almost unusable. The two nice, padded loungers are wedged in side by side on one end of the balcony and can barely us used. There wasn't really anywhere else to put them.

A couple years ago on the Grand, we took an upsell to a penthouse suite (C748, I think) and the aft balcony was twice as big. Made a world of difference in how useful the balcony was.

Jim

We have never sailed in a suite (and sincerely doubt we ever will) but have sailed in a balcony cabin under the Lido pool area. We sailed 15 days in A312 on Star Princess. Oddly enough we had absolutely no noise from chair scraping, MUTS, etc. We had a great cruise and slept soundly each night. Maybe we just got lucky as I have read so many posts regarding those issues with cabins in that location.