Train travel from Venice concern...

cruz4natic

Hi all. I have a train travel question....we have never been to Venice. Doing a cruise from Civitevecchia, and woukd like to spend a few days in Venice before. Going to fly into Venice and thinking of taking the train to Rome. Then getting a car service to Civitevecchia. We have heard not so great stories of luggage and train travel. We will be doing two cruises so will have luggage. We will each have a carry on, and large suitcase and then we will have one garment bag. We are considering paying a crazy price for the train ($366) for the two of us, booking Executive class on the 1000 train. We have seen so many peoole post such low train fares, but we are worried about handling and watching our luggage. Does anyone have an experience with this class and can you keep all of your luggage with you? We are thinking it will be easier and a piece of mind. These seats on the train look to have so much more room and have plenty of space for luggage, where as we can keep our luggage with us. Or is it crazy and not worth the extra expense? Would appreciate any opinions from people who have traveled on these high speed trains. Thank you so much. :)

Honestly I cannot imagine paying that price for train transport for that route.

I have traveled on my own between Venice and Rome twice on the high speed train.

Yes, a bag occasionally gets stolen, but these high speed trains are not seething with luggage thieves just waiting to grab your stuff. First of all, the security is a bit better and any thief would have to buy a ticket to get on the train.

Second, there are not so many stops on the fast trains -- only a few. Your smaller luggage you can probably stow above your seats, and possibly your garment bag, depending on its size. Your larger luggage will be on the same car with you, even if not right at your seat. When the train slows to approach a station you can go stand near it if you wish.

I have never felt the need to get the cable locks (of the type used to lock up bicycles), but some have used them.

If you are going to be having a panic attack for the entire journey, then do what seems best for YOU. However, thousands of people used these trains every season without problems....

I agree with cruisemom42...train is not really that difficult, nor unsafe.

The fare you selected is the highest on the train. There are many cheaper, as 36 euros in Economy, even 142 euros in Executive. As low as 88 euros in Business. What website are you looking at for your fares? The one you should be looking at is trenitalia.com. The fares mentioned are per person.

Hi all. I have a train travel question....we have never been to Venice. Doing a cruise from Civitevecchia, and woukd like to spend a few days in Venice before. Going to fly into Venice and thinking of taking the train to Rome. Then getting a car service to Civitevecchia. We have heard not so great stories of luggage and train travel. We will be doing two cruises so will have luggage. We will each have a carry on, and large suitcase and then we will have one garment bag. We are considering paying a crazy price for the train ($366) for the two of us, booking Executive class on the 1000 train. We have seen so many peoole post such low train fares, but we are worried about handling and watching our luggage. Does anyone have an experience with this class and can you keep all of your luggage with you? We are thinking it will be easier and a piece of mind. These seats on the train look to have so much more room and have plenty of space for luggage, where as we can keep our luggage with us. Or is it crazy and not worth the extra expense? Would appreciate any opinions from people who have traveled on these high speed trains. Thank you so much. :)
My advice to anyone with questions about worldwide train travel is always that your first port of call should be this website http://www.seat61.com be aware though, it can become addictive...

Sent from my SM-J530F using Forums mobile app

Honestly I cannot imagine paying that price for train transport for that route.

I have traveled on my own between Venice and Rome twice on the high speed train.

Yes, a bag occasionally gets stolen, but these high speed trains are not seething with luggage thieves just waiting to grab your stuff. First of all, the security is a bit better and any thief would have to buy a ticket to get on the train.

Second, there are not so many stops on the fast trains -- only a few. Your smaller luggage you can probably stow above your seats, and possibly your garment bag, depending on its size. Your larger luggage will be on the same car with you, even if not right at your seat. When the train slows to approach a station you can go stand near it if you wish.

I have never felt the need to get the cable locks (of the type used to lock up bicycles), but some have used them.

If you are going to be having a panic attack for the entire journey, then do what seems best for YOU. However, thousands of people used these trains every season without problems....

Thank you so much cruisemom42. I think we may be anticipating the worst. We are just very concerned with handling the luggage. Do you think we have enough time to get luggage up and on ourselves. Is the turn around time for tge trsins really quick?

Thank you so much cruisemom42. I think we may be anticipating the worst. We are just very concerned with handling the luggage. Do you think we have enough time to get luggage up and on ourselves. Is the turn around time for tge trsins really quick?

Going from Venice to Rome is going from one end of the line to the other. You will have time. You will have 20-25 minutes to board, and the train will need to be serviced before it departs from Rome, so you will have at least 20 minutes to get off.

I agree with cruisemom42...train is not really that difficult, nor unsafe.

The fare you selected is the highest on the train. There are many cheaper, as 36 euros in Economy, even 142 euros in Executive. As low as 88 euros in Business. What website are you looking at for your fares? The one you should be looking at is trenitalia.com. The fares mentioned are per person.

Thank you cruiserbruce. Yes. We were at the trenitalia website. We are looking at Oct 11. In the am. We thought it was high because of prices we had seen posted by other travelers. Our concern is knowing what we are doing and handling our luggage ourselves in the amount of time to turn the train around. We have heard we need to move fast. Really appreciate your input.

You will have time to board in Venice and to get off in Rome. These are the major endpoints, as cruiserbruce has said.

For planning purposes, know that when boarding the train car it's easiest to look for the car number on the outside before boarding. (The number is usually near the doors -- it may be displayed on an electronic sign or just on a sign on the door or near it.) The inside of the cars are narrow and not so easy to negotiate with luggage, so walk outside until you find your car and then board.

There are a couple of steps getting up into the car. It's easiest if one person boards first with a carry-on, then stands at the top and lets the other person hand the luggage up.

Luggage racks are in various places in the car -- sometimes only at one end, sometimes at both ends, and sometimes there is also one in the middle. If you are lucky, you may be able to put a large suitcase between sets of seats, like this:

suitcase-between-seats.jpg

You will have time to board in Venice and to get off in Rome. These are the major endpoints, as cruiserbruce has said.

For planning purposes, know that when boarding the train car it's easiest to look for the car number on the outside before boarding. (The number is usually near the doors -- it may be displayed on an electronic sign or just on a sign on the door or near it.) The inside of the cars are narrow and not so easy to negotiate with luggage, so walk outside until you find your car and then board.

There are a couple of steps getting up into the car. It's easiest if one person boards first with a carry-on, then stands at the top and lets the other person hand the luggage up.

Luggage racks are in various places in the car -- sometimes only at one end, sometimes at both ends, and sometimes there is also one in the middle. If you are lucky, you may be able to put a large suitcase between sets of seats, like this:

suitcase-between-seats.jpg

Thank you do very much cruisemom42. You have been so helpful. We did look more last night. Even Business Class is substancially lower and we see that we can choose maybe near a luggage rack. We also found some you tube videos. Thank you again for your help. :)

So- in 23 days I am flying to Venice- to spend 3 nights - then will take the train to Rome to spend 2 nights before I get on my ship in Civitevecchia for my 3rd Med. Cruise... so I hope I can pass on some info. The train I am taking from Venice to Rome is NOT costing $366!!! It under $129 for 5. We are taking the train (the one that takes like 2.5 hours - Italia Rail )- and we have purchased luggage locks (pacsafe retractable for under $20) to lock our luggage at the luggage area at the end of the train. We have then arranged transport on Rome in Limo from our hotel to the cruise ship and back post cruise. Purchase a retractable luggage lock and ease your mind. We have a total of 3 for a group of 5. You can get them off of Amazon.

We have done train travel in Italy many times. We have never even bothered with first class. We don't use locks but we do keep an eye on our bags. We only do carry on so it is a little easier.

Absolutely NO way we would spend $366 for this fare. We would take a fast train to Rome. Change in Termin or some other urban station depending on the trains, and go to Civit. by rail.

We are considering traveling by train from Venice to Rome. We will have two large suitcases and two carry ons. Is it going to be difficult to get the large suitcases on the train? They will be too heavy for me to lift up the steps to my husband. I am also considering flying from Venice to Rome, if it's easier . I know it costs more, but it might be worth it. I would appreciate any input.

We are considering traveling by train from Venice to Rome. We will have two large suitcases and two carry ons. Is it going to be difficult to get the large suitcases on the train? They will be too heavy for me to lift up the steps to my husband. I am also considering flying from Venice to Rome, if it's easier . I know it costs more, but it might be worth it. I would appreciate any input.

Not sure what you tell you. I find the trains a lot more convenient from the point of view that you don't have to be there two hours ahead of time and generally train stations are closer to the city where you want to be, so there is less time getting from one place to another. On the other hand, I try to travel with a reasonable amount of luggage that I can manage myself.

Perhaps your husband could hand the bags up to you?

Or, given that Venice and Rome are longer stops, let him go up with each suitcase and stow it, while you wait outside the train with the rest of the luggage. Then both board together with the remainder.

We have travelled a few times via train in Italy, at some also doing a cruise, we have not found getting on/off train that difficult. Sometimes more difficult are getting up and down platforms with the luggage. We have gotten much better at packing lite over the years. We used a bicycle lock at the luggage rack ran it through each of the suitcases and around the pole. We are going back next year will take the train or rent a car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have travelled a few times via train in Italy, at some also doing a cruise, we have not found getting on/off train that difficult. Sometimes more difficult are getting up and down platforms with the luggage. We have gotten much better at packing lite over the years. We used a bicycle lock at the luggage rack ran it through each of the suitcases and around the pole. We are going back next year will take the train or rent a car.

Thank you sbflcruiser. I understand the high speed train may be easier with luggage. Did you take the train from Rome to Civitivecchia? I am wondering if that train may be a little trickier? We think we could handle two large suitcases and two carry on's no problem but we may need a garment also. We are doing b2b. Thank you for the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

We have done train travel in Italy many times. We have never even bothered with first class. We don't use locks but we do keep an eye on our bags. We only do carry on so it is a little easier.

Absolutely NO way we would spend $366 for this fare. We would take a fast train to Rome. Change in Termin or some other urban station depending on the trains, and go to Civit. by rail.

Thank you. Yes we thought it was a bit high. We are looking into lower fares.

So- in 23 days I am flying to Venice- to spend 3 nights - then will take the train to Rome to spend 2 nights before I get on my ship in Civitevecchia for my 3rd Med. Cruise... so I hope I can pass on some info. The train I am taking from Venice to Rome is NOT costing $366!!! It under $129 for 5. We are taking the train (the one that takes like 2.5 hours - Italia Rail )- and we have purchased luggage locks (pacsafe retractable for under $20) to lock our luggage at the luggage area at the end of the train. We have then arranged transport on Rome in Limo from our hotel to the cruise ship and back post cruise. Purchase a retractable luggage lock and ease your mind. We have a total of 3 for a group of 5. You can get them off of Amazon.
Wow southerngirl18. You are doing almost exactly what we are thinking of doing! I would love to hear about your train experience AND the car ride from Rome to Civitevecchia. Wonder how the driving is there. I somehow need to remember to try and look you up to see your posts when you return. Thank you!

We did travel from Venice to Florence where we spent a couple of days, then from Florence to Rome through Pisa, spent a week in Rome then to Civitavecchi for the cruise. First time had 2 large bags, 2 small bags and 2 backpacks. Hubby carried one large up stairs on train, then grabbed other large bag up stairs the. I handed him one small, I then came up stairs with other small on back packs. It worked. Was a crazy 5 minutes but never felt like we were going to be left behind etc. Trains really are an easy way to travel in Europe. There are also high speed trains to the port. They are much easier than the Regional trains. We did use a regional train from Pisa to Rome, still no issues.

Thank you sbflcruiser. I understand the high speed train may be easier with luggage. Did you take the train from Rome to Civitivecchia? I am wondering if that train may be a little trickier? We think we could handle two large suitcases and two carry on's no problem but we may need a garment also. We are doing b2b. Thank you for the info.

Your biggest problem will be on arrival at Civitavecchia. Unless you are extremely lucky and arrive at the platform nearest the street exit you will have to negotiate stairs down to the subway under the tracks and back up more stairs to get to the exit. There are NO lifts at Civitavecchia Station.

We think that train fare is obscene! But will leave the fare advice to others and talk about the luggage issue. Yes, the OP is absolutely correct to be thinking about how to handle and protect luggage. A basic rule (especially in Italy) is to never leave your luggage unattended unless you are certain of its security. When using trains in Italy (and generally anywhere in Europe) you will normally have to handle your own luggage...be it for long walks, on stairs (if there is no working elevator) and on the train. Your luggage will stay in the same train car...and if it fits you can often just store it in an overhead rack over your seat. But if your luggage is too large (or heavy) you may need to store it at the end of the car (there is usually space or even a larger rack). We always carry a special cable luggage lock (kind of like a lightweight bicycle lock) which has a steel cable that we use to secure our luggage to something on the train (such as the luggage rack). You can buy these locks online or in many luggage shops and they are relatively cheap. Just Google "Cable Luggage Locks" and you will find lots of options on Amazon and elsewhere.

You might also want to consider taking the train from Venice to Civitavecchia....although this might involve at least 1 train change. There are a few options including routes that completely avoid Rome.

Hank

We think that train fare is obscene! But will leave the fare advice to others and talk about the luggage issue. Yes, the OP is absolutely correct to be thinking about how to handle and protect luggage. A basic rule (especially in Italy) is to never leave your luggage unattended unless you are certain of its security. When using trains in Italy (and generally anywhere in Europe) you will normally have to handle your own luggage...be it for long walks, on stairs (if there is no working elevator) and on the train. Your luggage will stay in the same train car...and if it fits you can often just store it in an overhead rack over your seat. But if your luggage is too large (or heavy) you may need to store it at the end of the car (there is usually space or even a larger rack). We always carry a special cable luggage lock (kind of like a lightweight bicycle lock) which has a steel cable that we use to secure our luggage to something on the train (such as the luggage rack). You can buy these locks online or in many luggage shops and they are relatively cheap. Just Google "Cable Luggage Locks" and you will find lots of options on Amazon and elsewhere.

You might also want to consider taking the train from Venice to Civitavecchia....although this might involve at least 1 train change. There are a few options including routes that completely avoid Rome.

Hank

Wow. Thank you so much Hlitner. We did think the fare was high. That's why we asked. We are researching other classes. We will definitely check out the luggage locks. We think that would be safest. Still not sure if we will do the train to Civitivecchia. It sounds it may be a little more difficult getting around with luggage. We will look into trains that possibly avoid Rome if they are out there. Thank you again for the info.

Your biggest problem will be on arrival at Civitavecchia. Unless you are extremely lucky and arrive at the platform nearest the street exit you will have to negotiate stairs down to the subway under the tracks and back up more stairs to get to the exit. There are NO lifts at Civitavecchia Station.

Thank you harz99. We didn't know about all the stairs in Civitivecchia and no lifts. Something else to consider.

Some of the domestic flights in Italy are very inexpensive, if you are really worried about a lot of luggage they may be worth considering.

Or, if you have a little more time rent a car from Venice and drop off in Civitavechhia; spending time in Tuscany or Umbria on the way to Civitavecchia.

We did travel from Venice to Florence where we spent a couple of days, then from Florence to Rome through Pisa, spent a week in Rome then to Civitavecchi for the cruise. First time had 2 large bags, 2 small bags and 2 backpacks. Hubby carried one large up stairs on train, then grabbed other large bag up stairs the. I handed him one small, I then came up stairs with other small on back packs. It worked. Was a crazy 5 minutes but never felt like we were going to be left behind etc. Trains really are an easy way to travel in Europe. There are also high speed trains to the port. They are much easier than the Regional trains. We did use a regional train from Pisa to Rome, still no issues.

Thank you sbflcruiser. It sounds like you had a plan and it worked for you. Hopefully it will work OK for us. Will look into the high speed train to the port. We didn't see that. Thanks again!