Looking for a car service or shuttle from Civitavecchia port to Rome

NewCruiser51912

Does anyone have recommendations for an affordable car/shuttle service? DH and I are doing Rome on our own and can't find a shuttle that leaves before 9:00 am. We're sailing on the NCL Epic and arriving in port at 6:00 am.

We've looked into just hiring a car and driver for a round trip and possibly sharing it with someone from our roll call. This way we can leave as early as we like and have more time in Rome. However, I have no experience with this. Which services would you recommend and how easy are they to use? Is it just a dropoff/pick up thing or something else?

A quick look down the board would provide several recommendations, like the one we use, the wonderful Rome in Limo. Big thread just down the board.

Have you joined your Roll Call for others on your cruise?

Thank you, I'll check that out. Yes, I've asked if anyone in my roll call is interested but it seems like most of them will be doing tours in Rome.

Any reason why you're not considering taking the train?

I hadn't looked into the train yet. Truthfully, I have no experience with public transit (I live in a very small town in a very rural area) so it never occurred to me. Looking into it, I'm seeing that the train is frequently delayed and neither station is anywhere near where we want to be. I'll keep it as an option, though!

I've used the trains in Italy several times and never known them to be delayed. The last time I used it was two years ago though, so maybe things have changed. The hardest part to me has always been getting from the ship to the train station, as you need to use two buses. There are several stations in Rome, so there is usually one near most major attractions. All information about the train service including any strikes (they're usually planned in advance) is easily available online. You can also find train times online, so you can plan the train to get well in advance. I have an app on my phone which gives me train times and any known delays. The best advice I can give you is to allow plenty of time to get back. I usually plan to get a train back about 4pm, to allow me time to allow for potential delays, get from the station to the ship and relax a bit, before getting ready for the evening. I'm usually back on the ship about 5 to 5:30. Hope that helps.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

We used Rome Shuttle Service in April to drive us to a B&B in Fiumicino in April. Our emails were responded to promptly, we got off the ship 1/2 hour before driver was suppose to pick us up and he was already there holding a sign with our name. Gets great reviews on TA and I would use them again. Cash only, no credit cards.

So lets talk about the trains :). There is a free shuttle bus from your ship to a drop point outside the port from where you transfer to another shuttle bus (for about 2 €) that takes you right to the Civitavecchia station. There are multiple train stations in Rome and the city also has a decent Metro system. You can purchase a 1 day BIRG Ticket for about $14 a person which includes round trip train (to and from Rome) plus all days use of Rome's Metro and public bus systems.

So if you spend time doing your homework (there are lots of previous posts right here...and many of us willing to help) you can get to and from and around Rome for around $30 a couple :). If you decide to hire your own car/driver from Civitavecchia to Rome you will likely be spending several hundred Euros. An alternative is to join with some others (try using the CC Roll Call for your cruise) and split the cost of a private car/driver.

Taking an organized tour, private tour, or hiring your own car/driver is certainly the easiest way to go.....but the cost can amount to hundreds of dollars per port day....when you travel in Europe. Doing things on your own is often the most cost effective (by far) but it does require "homework." Rick Steves has a decent book "Mediterranean Cruise Ports" which also gives you detailed instructions on how to do things on your own.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone tried taking an Uber from the port to the airport and is it cheaper?

A little reading around the Italy board would reveal the Uber presence in Rome is essentially UberBlack.

You could try uberestimate.com and see what you get.

here's the site for buying the BIRG, http://www.atac.roma.it

The price is based on how many travel zones but could not find how many from Civit to Roma. At most it would be 14 Euros. This is probably not the best option if you are traveling with luggage. ATAC also has 1, 2 or 3 day Rome Metro Passes for 7, 12.5 and 18 Euros

If you are going to have luggage, use http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en and go with 1st class on a Frecce(Express) train. 1st class has luggage storage, with advance purcahase it can be under 10 Euro each.

• 1 month later...
So lets talk about the trains :). There is a free shuttle bus from your ship to a drop point outside the port from where you transfer to another shuttle bus (for about 2 €) that takes you right to the Civitavecchia station. There are multiple train stations in Rome and the city also has a decent Metro system. You can purchase a 1 day BIRG Ticket for about $14 a person which includes round trip train (to and from Rome) plus all days use of Rome's Metro and public bus systems.

So if you spend time doing your homework (there are lots of previous posts right here...and many of us willing to help) you can get to and from and around Rome for around $30 a couple :). If you decide to hire your own car/driver from Civitavecchia to Rome you will likely be spending several hundred Euros. An alternative is to join with some others (try using the CC Roll Call for your cruise) and split the cost of a private car/driver.

Taking an organized tour, private tour, or hiring your own car/driver is certainly the easiest way to go.....but the cost can amount to hundreds of dollars per port day....when you travel in Europe. Doing things on your own is often the most cost effective (by far) but it does require "homework." Rick Steves has a decent book "Mediterranean Cruise Ports" which also gives you detailed instructions on how to do things on your own.

Hank

Hank, thank you! I am also looking for information on CV to Rome on the day our cruise ends. Can you confirm what I've read...I'm finding the information on the BIRG ticket a little confusing. Can I use it to get the train from CV to Roma Termini (planning to use the luggage storage there), then take the subway to the Vatican and back to Roma Termini, then from there to the airport? Our flight out isn't until 8:30 PM and we'd like to try to make it to the Vatican. I don't get the part that says every single trip costs 1.50 euros...is that in addition to the 12 euros and how do they charge you for it? Any clarification you can give me with be appreciated!!

Kathy

The below is copied from this site: https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/civitavecchia-train-station

Regional Trains and Fast Regional Trains:

- BIRG daily ticket: it is valid for a whole day and includes round-trip in addition to unlimited use of public transport in Rome (subway, bus and tramway). It costs €12 and it is advisable for who means to get around the capital. Take into account that every single trip costs €1.50.

We are not aware of any 1.50€ extra charge when using a BIRG ticket. One poster mentioned this on CC and the rumor mill really went into high speed :). If you get a BIRG ticket it will cover your train into Rome and the Metro. But there are a few issues which you need to consider regarding pricing.

From Termini to FCO....many travelers tend to choose the fast Leonardo Express and I do not believe that train is covered by the BIRG ticket. So if you are planning on going from Termini to FCO and use that fast train, you would have to purchase tickets for that particular train (you can do this right at the airport station) which costs somewhere around 15€ per person.

Another option from Termini is to use the regional trains which cost less but involve 1 change. While the Leonardo Express will get you to the airport in about 32 min....the regional trains will take at least 51 min. And if you are hauling luggage you may not want to deal with changing trains. Using the regional trains to FCO means you would have to eventually transfer to the FR1 Line....and I seem to recall that you cannot use your BIRG ticket on the FR1.

So unless I am all wet, you are going to need to pay something extra to get out to FCO..whether you use the Leonardo Express from Termini or one of the regional train combinations that would get you to the FR1 line that goes out to FCO. Bottom line is that most folks just opt to pay the big bucks for the Leonardo Express :).

Getting back to your BIRG ticket idea, it might not be your cheapest and/or best option...especially if you plan on using the Leonardo Express (for which you must pay for another ticket). Since you are talking about 1-way from Civitavecchia to Rome and only 2 Metro (subway rides) you might save a couple of Euros by simply buying regular tickets.

And now that I have even confused myself (too easy at my age) I hope that Euro Cruiser jumps in on this thread and straightens us out on the trains. He is the MAN when it comes to transportation :).

Hank