No Boarding Pass, No Luggage Tags, No Problem!

Hawaiian

I'm trying to think of any other US port we've departed from that even has any security for the entire port area.

San Diego is pretty tight, compared to what you describe. They won't let you get near the terminal without showing proper credentials (Passports, Boarding Passes, etc.)

That's the way I read it too. This thread parallels the political discussions in this country nowadays. Very few seem interested in taking a measured stance but polarizing the issue from opposite extremes. Here we have those that believe the documents are complete BS and those that believe if you are not blindly following the rules, then you are harming the support personnel at the port.

It comes off as a little..paranoid isn't quite the right word..how about hysterical..on the part of the rule followers.Yes I know, rules are there to be followed..however I think HAL knows there are situations that come up and deal with them accordingly.

It comes off as a little..paranoid isn't quite the right word..how about hysterical..on the part of the rule followers.Yes I know, rules are there to be followed..however I think HAL knows there are situations that come up and deal with them accordingly.

Nice bit of hyperbole. :rolleyes:

Ha ve you arrrived b y taxi to Port Everglades? We always take a taxi form our hotel to the dock and always have to show our psssports at the security guard shacxk at the entrance to the port. I do not want to be the person who has to arrgue with the sheriff while the taxi meter keeps running:) . i cetrainly do not want to risk not being allowed to enter and check in for my cruise.

If yo u have not arrived to Port Everglades in a taxi and do not have a boardig pass................. you cannot know what would happen,

On March 16th, I took a Caribbean Cruise on the Crown Princess departing from Port Everglades. I took Uber from the Tri-Rail Station to the port and when we approached the guard shack at the entrance to the port, the security guard seemed more interested in flirting with my Uber driver than checking my documents. I was not asked to show anything. After some chit chat, we proceeded to the terminal.

On March 28th, I arrived at Port Everglades to board the Koningsdam. This time I took a taxi from the Fort Lauderdale Airport and once again, I was not asked for anything. I had passport in hand but I was never asked to show it. The security guard looked into the cab, saw my luggage, and waved us through.

I have only taken two cruises from Port Everglades, both of them left in March and I am certainly not an expert on this subject. I am only sharing my experience here to allay the stress and fear of not having all printed documents at your disposal.

I had no printed documents and it was not a problem for me. That is all.

Edited by Hawaiian

That's the way I read it too. This thread parallels the political discussions in this country nowadays. Very few seem interested in taking a measured stance but polarizing the issue from opposite extremes. Here we have those that believe the documents are complete BS and those that believe if you are not blindly following the rules, then you are harming the support personnel at the port.

You are correct.

But this seems to be a HAL exacerbated issue. We've left on cruises out of FLL on Celebrity and RCL. Neither require you to show or walk around with the certificate that HALs seems to require, yet no one wants. Passport, yup. And that makes sense. The paper boarding pass not so much.

I don't need a paper ticket to board a plane and shouldn't need one to board a ship.

I don't need a paper ticket to board a plane and shouldn't need one to board a ship.

Where in the world did you get the idea that HAL requires a paper boarding pass? When we checked in to our recent Oosterdam sailing, I showed them my electronic copy of our boarding passes from my smartphone, and they were fine... no issues. :)

^

Exactly.

I do not understand why anyone would mislead a cruiser and advise them that they required a paper boarding pass to clear security at FLL, MIA etc.

This is simply not factual. Reminds me of some of the poster who used to pawn off their version of the dress code in favor of the actual HAL dress code.

Where in the world did you get the idea that HAL requires a paper boarding pass? When we checked in to our recent Oosterdam sailing, I showed them my electronic copy of our boarding passes from my smartphone, and they were fine... no issues. :)

Read the thread. Many think it's required and are in a panic since they cannot print it.

It is not unreasonable for people to panic when they cannot do something that is being explicitly asked of them by the cruise line. The language they use in the notice even says you're required to have it (see below). They undoubtedly have ways to accommodate you if you don't have it, but most people are taking the cruise line at face value that it is necessary.

From the email I got about Express Docs, which also includes language about passports and visas and other required documentation:

Please visit ... to complete your Online Check-in, and your Express Docs will be available to print out. A separate notification email will arrive for each member of your party, and, at minimum, an Express Docs boarding pass must be printed individually for each traveler.

It is not unreasonable for people to panic when they cannot do something that is being explicitly asked of them by the cruise line. The language they use in the notice even says you're required to have it (see below). They undoubtedly have ways to accommodate you if you don't have it, but most people are taking the cruise line at face value that it is necessary.

From the email I got about Express Docs, which also includes language about passports and visas and other required documentation:

Please visit ... to complete your Online Check-in, and your Express Docs will be available to print out. A separate notification email will arrive for each member of your party, and, at minimum, an Express Docs boarding pass must be printed individually for each traveler.

HAL says to print it and have it with you. Maybe you don't need it, maybe you'll find a gate or door attendant who won't let you pass without a hassle if you don't have it. I print it and have it in case it's needed. At FFL, we've been asked at the port entrance at least half of the time, at the door to the terminal, always. At check in, usually not--they find our booking from our passports.

Not having the boarding pass won't keep us off the ship. But if it can avoid a possible hassle, then I'm willing to "spend" a little ink and two pieces of paper. IMO, not worth taking a stand over.

Read the thread. Many think it's required and are in a panic since they cannot print it.

Yes, but there's quite a distinction between what folks here on CC think is required, and what HAL actually requires. Your post seemed to imply that HAL required paper, based on what posters were saying here, and HAL does not require paper.

We have always printed them and HAL never asks for them. I like having it though.
They want to see it if you walk into the priority boarding line, but I'm sure a copy on your phone would work.

They want to see it if you walk into the priority boarding line, but I'm sure a copy on your phone would work.

Which begs the question of why HAL doesn't make e-boarding passes the default offering, with printed copies as a fallback choice for the few passengers these days that don't have a cell phone, tablet, etc. Airlines have done this for several years with no problem, and one has to wonder why HAL and other cruise lines have been so reluctant to adapt. According to 2016 stats pulled from the internet, there were 24.2 million cruise passengers in 2016, but during the same year airlines handled 3,810 million, so it's not a question of volume being a problem.

Just about every other large organization in the leisure travel business have found it necessary from a sales perspective and from a customer satisfaction perspective to adopt customer centric technology solutions.

We are in our sixties. We have embraced these solutions because they make viewing, booking, retaining, and vendor verification of our travel purchases/arrangements so much easier. The very last thing we want to do on a two or a three month trip is carry binders full of paper reservations, tour data, etc.

HAL's customer technology offerings/solutions appear to be headed in the opposite direction to other players in the travel industry. Not certain why this is.

HAL's customer technology offerings/solutions appear to be headed in the opposite direction to other players in the travel industry. Not certain why this is.

I suspect that HAL has misinterpreted its passenger demographics, thinking that just because they are older than some other, their passengers lack the knowledge and/or interest in all things technological. While I'm a septuagenarian, I've had one or more computers at home since I bought a Commodore VIC-20 back in 1980 and taught myself Basic. I'm not a "techie" by any means, just a reasonably intelligent person with an inquiring mind, like so many other of HAL's passengers. Some passengers may prefer to print out their boarding pass, just as some prefer to bring books on board, but many (most?) passengers today bring along their e-books and would like to at least have the option of having e-boarding passes. Too bad that HAL doesn't grasp that.

Or perhaps you looked sketchy, as this is normally not an issue. :o

Um, we must look "sketchy" too. We've had to produce ID and boarding passes at the port security checkpoint at Fort Lauderdale when we were either in taxis or in our own car.

some prefer to bring books on board, but many (most?) passengers today bring along their e-books and would like to at least have the option of having e-boarding passes. Too bad that HAL doesn't grasp that.

But they do, which has been my point all along. Based on personal, recent experience; bring your boarding docs electronically, and you will be fine!

But they do, which has been my point all along. Based on personal, recent experience; bring your boarding docs electronically, and you will be fine!

While they will accept a copy downloaded to your device, that's a far cry from promoting e-boarding passes as an option on their website. Currently, printing is the only option officially offered and their instructions state that you are required to bring a printed copy with you. Rather than passively accepting them on occasion, HAL should be proactively making e-boarding passes the default option.

While they will accept a copy downloaded to your device, that's a far cry from promoting e-boarding passes as an option on their website. Currently, printing is the only option officially offered and their instructions state that you are required to bring a printed copy with you. Rather than passively accepting them on occasion, HAL should be proactively making e-boarding passes the default option.

In the alternative, at the least, HA L should be putting a copy of boarding pass in an envelope spring for the price of a stamp and mail it to anyone who reports to them they have tried but have been unable to print it from gthe HAL site.