Ncl has raised their prices to a ridiculous level imho of course

Just to clarify...ncl prices are not stopping me from cruising they are just allowing me to look for better deals elsewhere

It's not that I can't afford current pricing it's just that I'm not interested to pay current pricing as I see it as a money grab...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bye Felicia.

I don't expect them to operate as a charity I just don't expect them to blatantly price gouge

There are many stores i no longer frequent because they overprice the same item that their competitors reasonably price

Service etc not withstanding...and again i totally get the whole profit margin stockholder thing...if one chain store is selling a certain brand item at $ and the other chain store is equally easy to get to but is selling that same brand item for $$ it doesn't take a genius to figure out where to buy that item

Ncl is a chain store in the cruise industry. Doesn't mean I don't like it doesn't mean its pax are riff raff what it says to me is that they want to grab as much as they can from me when they certainly are aware that the competition is offering the same product for less

I guess they are just hoping I won't notice

There is no such thing as a 'chain cruise line'. They all aren't selling the same pair of shoes. Although similar, they all offer a brand specific product that have countless variables even within their own brand which have their own associated costs and value.

All this proves is you are looking at a complex mathematical formula with emotion only which keeps you from understanding the business model. The market sets the price, bottom line.

There is no such thing as a 'chain cruise line'. They all aren't selling the same pair of shoes. Although similar, they all offer a brand specific product that have countless variables even within their own brand which have their own associated costs and value.

All this proves is you are looking at a complex mathematical formula with emotion only which keeps you from understanding the business model. The market sets the price, bottom line.

Yes I do understand the business model... ncl is purposely overpricing next spring cruises to see how many will book a year out thinking prices are rising and they better book now.

Very good chance that these prices will shrink back to 2018 or even 2017 pricing by April of 2019....also part of their business model

Why is that people can't complain about how cruise prices without someone feeling they need to preach about business models and supply and demand ? For crying out loud, everyone gets it but it still doesn't mean that people can't vent if they want to. When you complain about high gas prices do you really need someone to explain to you supply and demand along with business models every time .... No .... Why do it on here. Quit being fanboys or acting like you're company representatives.

Edited by tallnthensome

Why is that people can't complain about how cruise prices without someone feeling they need to preach about business models and supply and demand ? For crying out load, everyone gets it but it still doesn't mean that people can't vent if they want to. When you complain about high gas prices do you really need someone to explain to you supply and demand along with business models every time .... No .... Why do it on here. Quit being fanboys or acting like you're company representatives.

The OP stated their opinion that prices have gone up in order to get rid of loyal cruisers and fill the ships up with newbies who will pay anything.

Which I think is wrong.

I think it is wrong because it is actually just market forces which are filling the ships up, whether it be loyal cruisers, people who flit between different lines or newbies. It’s just people who think it is an OK price to pay.

But now, apparently, I’m not allowed to say that. Despite the fact that the OP made their statement on a public forum.

Well, I’m just going to have to say it without your permission.

If someone posts an opinion on a public forum then it may be followed by different opinions. That’s the way it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is that people can't complain about how cruise prices without someone feeling they need to preach about business models and supply and demand ? For crying out loud, everyone gets it but it still doesn't mean that people can't vent if they want to. When you complain about high gas prices do you really need someone to explain to you supply and demand along with business models every time .... No .... Why do it on here. Quit being fanboys or acting like you're company representatives.

It's a discussion forum. Maggie has good points and said many interesting things. She's a good poster on here. People are just posting realistic counter points and arguments. I think it's a good thread.

For crying out loud, everyone gets it but it still doesn't mean that people can't vent if they want to.

Anyone can "vent" just as anyone can reply to that "vent".

Just as you saw the replies and replied with your opinion, the people who saw the OP also replied with their opinion.

In July last Year:

One week on the Mediterranean from Barcelona in the Haven on the Epic around $9000 for two. Some people may think that is cheap but I think that's expensive.

If you have to sail in The Haven, of course it's going to be expensive! However, last January, I sailed as a solo in an inside cabin on a 5 day Pearl trip to Cozumel for $259. $50 a day for hotel, food, and resort accommodations? Sign me up!

I was just perusing the 2019 ncl Med cruises and as a seasoned Med and ncl cruiser I find it ridiculous and somewhat amusing that ncl has almost doubled their cruise prices in this region over 2017/18 prices. On Older ships not new mega ships either

So what is it....

Higher fuel prices

Higher port charges

Higher profit margins

Or is it what I've be saying all along...

That ncl wants to rid itself of their loyal seasoned cruisers who know how to get a good price...which in turn means they cruise more often....and is ncl trading in those loyal savvy cruisers for less informed newbies who actually believe that an inside cabin on the Jade or the Sun is well priced at between $1200 to $1600 per person before port and tax for a 7 day cruise?

Of course prices will vary based on week etc but for the summer of 2017 that same itin and ship went for $600 to $800 per pax

Again...the loyal ncl cruisers will know this...but the newbies will just book and think to themselves that cruising is costly.

I'm not sure I care to use my 1 remaining cruise cert at all. Let alone sell it or give it to anyone at the current ncl pricing scam.

Disclaimer: I am well aware that a lot goes into pricing...boho..free at sea etc...but I've taken my family of 6 on 12 day Med cruises and paid close to or sometimes less in ocean views than what ncl is currently pricing 7 Day insides at. Especially since the pricing was so much lower last summer. Certainly not giving up on ncl or cruising but for our next cruise I won't be focusing only on ncl as I have in past years. I've spoken to too many fellow cruisers on ncl ships that have been very happy with MSC and even Pullman so I guess I'll be siding my search scope. It's all good.

They have the right to charge what the market will bear and I have the right to use my timeshare points instead of cruising. While I like cruising there is a limit to my available money. I can use timeshare, cheap motels, camp in a tent.

I’ll still vacation and explore but it won’t be on as many cruises....

If you have to sail in The Haven, of course it's going to be expensive! However, last January, I sailed as a solo in an inside cabin on a 5 day Pearl trip to Cozumel for $259. $50 a day for hotel, food, and resort accommodations? Sign me up!

The thread is about raised prices and the prices for the Haven have raised a lot. I don't have to sail in the Haven and because of that we sallad on the brand new MSC Meraviglia instead. We were in the Yacht Club and saved more than $3000 compared to the Epic cruise.

Asking a price that the market sets is not price gouging.

Ncl is not asking market price...if that were the case all cruise lines would have raised their prices by the same or more for 2019.

The other lines have not done that

They have the right to charge what the market will bear and I have the right to use my timeshare points instead of cruising. While I like cruising there is a limit to my available money. I can use timeshare, cheap motels, camp in a tent.

I’ll still vacation and explore but it won’t be on as many cruises....

Exactly my sentiments as well

You as a seasoned cruiser may well do something different with your vacation dollar and that may very well be to leave ncl or cruising for the time being

Thus...that is my point ...ncl is driving seasoned cruisers who know the correct price point for cruising away....and is aiming at attracting the unseasoned cruiser who will just think that $1700 per pax in 2019 for a 7 day med cruise is a good price and not realize that same cruise is/was only $700 in 2018. Of course we all understand that this comparison needs to be apples to apples cruises..dates..itins etc...not a march 2018 Med cruise to compared to a July 2019 Med cruise. Just wanted to clarify that

I just dont believe the high cruise prices are in fact current "market prices" but I do believe they are an attempt to to artificially increase market prices

I was always taught that it was the consumer that determined market price

E.g. In November an item sells for x dollars and sits on the store shelf...because the consumer doesn't like the price and doesn't buy it...therefore the November price is NOT market price...it was just a price the store was hoping to get in November..but..by December 15 the store lowers the price by 1/2 and sells it...that is market price...which although set by the store was in fact determined by the consumer simply because they bought it

So ncl is NOT charging market price at all...they are just charging a price they hope to get and true market price will be determined much closer to sail date. This is true only because of these current artificially high prices. It was always true with the ncl product in the past though because ncl prices a year out used to be great. Somehow I don't see a $1700 price point a year out as being a bargain...nor do I see it jumping to $3400 8 months from now...lol..it will more than likely fall to $700 again...and we will all be calling that price the "market price" when the consumer buys it up...

The true facts are hidden though as we will never know how fast they are selling out 2019 cruises

While they (or a poster here ) might say the cruise is selling fast...we actually have no viable way to know that

A TA is no help either as they are a commissioned salesperson

Edited by maggie cruises

Wow. Five solid pages of "The price no longer fits in my budget, so it must be price gouging, greed, etc..."

Ever read Aesop? Just because the fox couldn't reach the grapes, the fox assumed the grapes were sour.

Life lessons from a book of fables.

Invalid conclusion. The reality is that what any given one person (or small group of people) is willing to pay is irrelevant to the current market price. The correct price IS the market price, not what I or anyone else in particular is willing to pay. What a price was in 2018 is no more part of the equation that what the price was in 1938. As supply and demand change, the market price will adjust itself.

Then why aren't all the cruislines raising prices proportionately to ncl 2019 prices?

Also you really should quote a posters entire post not just part of it

Wow. Five solid pages of "The price no longer fits in my budget, so it must be price gouging, greed, etc..."

Ever read Aesop? Just because the fox couldn't reach the grapes, the fox assumed the grapes were sour.

Life lessons from a book of fables.

Just a heads up that ncl has artificially raised their prices

Oh and it does fit my budget I'm just not willing to pay the current prices

Also...weren't fables meant to teach the ignorant things that other people wanted them to believe? Sort of like brainwashing.

I'm posting my theory based on my research....

Because the supply and demand for their cruises are different and irrelevant. You made my case for me.

But doesn't everyone like to say...the mainstream lines are more alike than different

I read that here all the time

Btw I never indicated I was comparing NCL to Seaborne or Crystal

And by you saying the demand for each cruiseline is different and irrelevant you have proved that ncl is doing whatever it wants pricewise.

Just a heads up that ncl has artificially raised their prices

Oh and it does fit my budget I'm just not willing to pay the current prices

You have, nor offer, any verifiable facts that the price increase is "artificial". You are simply upset because you WANT to pay based on what you USED to pay...and that is just not the economic model in play.

If you're not willing to pay, then don't...no need to throw a tantrum (and that is what a whining thread is) in public over it.

A cruise is only worth what guests will pay for it. Nothing more. Artificially raising the price would not work as guest would simply refuse to pay and the cabins would be empty (this is why the cruise price isn't $50,000 per week). Since enough guests are willing to pay, and since (based on their financials) NCL is making their goals, the are charging the correct market price.

Have you considered that, due to the economy at the time, that NCL's previous pricing was artificially lowered so that they could fill the ships???

I can assure you that the prices are real, they are not artificial in any manner.

Again you only partially quoted my post. Lol and yes they are real prices offered by ncl for their 2019 cruises

Doesn't mean pax are going to book at those "real" prices

But whatever

Then why aren't all the cruislines raising prices proportionately to ncl 2019 prices?

Maybe it is because in previous years NCL were too cheap in comparison.

I yesterday booked a 15 night Baltic cruise on NCL (all inclusive).

I have just looked at some other lines prices. As an example, Royal Caribbean are offering a 12 night cruise to the Baltics at the same time of year. For three of us in a balcony, the Royal Caribbean price is only 8% lower in total than the NCL price. Per day, Royal Caribbean are 15% more, and that doesn't include a drink package.

Another example is Princess. They are offering a 14 night Baltics trip. It is after UK holiday time, so not directly comparable, but looks like the most similar itinerary. The price per day for that one is 15% less than the NCL price, but again it doesn't include beverages. If you add drinks in then the prices look about the same.

I have no idea what Royal Caribbean or Princess were charging for the previous year, but nothing in that comparison suggests that NCL are price gouging. In fact they look quite cheap.

I would note, that in my opinion, the NCL itinerary is much nicer than either of the Princess or Royal Caribbean ones.

It probably makes sense to resurrect this thread in January 2019 to see how much prices have fluctuated for April 2019 cruises.

Cruise prices have not ballooned in the last 20 to 30 years...what I paid for 2 in 1988 for 7 days inside on a rust bucket 7 day Carib cruise $2000 was high considering I've paid balcony $1400 for 2 on the Gem in 2016 for an 8 day cruise.

Prices for cruises have not risen. Of the contrary they have not only fallen..the ships have improved incredibly as has the service itins and entertainment

I stand by my theory that ncl is artificially currently raising their 2019 prices as a way to raise cash now and they will in fact lower those prices before those cruises actually set sail

IDK, I just compared an Alaskan cruise for 4 next June. I looked at both NCL and Princess, NCL came in over $800 cheaper, for me that $800 can be applied to airfare to Seattle

I stand by my theory that ncl is artificially currently raising their 2019 prices as a way to raise cash now and they will in fact lower those prices before those cruises actually set sail

(Note: The wording above is a partial quote. The partial quote is used to quickly allow the reader to assess which specific portion of the original posting is being addressed in the response below. A clickable link is automatically included with the partial quote that will allow the reader to view and read the entire quote (which should not be necessary since it would have been read as the reader progressed through the thread))

This points demonstrates the lack of depth behind your theory. Raising prices does not raise cash now since those booking at those prices are only paying a deposit and not all of that cash. IF the prices are lowered, then those who booked at the current pricing can simply rebook at the new lower pricing.

NCL formerly operated under a "price to fill" model. When he took over as CEO of NCLH, Frank Del Rio moved NCL into a "market to fill" model...a completely new and different pricing model and structure. Your postings include language that gives the reader reason to believe that you still see this as a "price to fill" situation. It might make things easier to understand if you educate yourself on the particulars of the "market to fill" economic model in play.

I guarantee ncl will be lowering 2019 Carib and Med cruises

Fwiw...I've never mentioned Alaska cruises as I was only comparing Med and Carib 2018 to 2019 and I only compared same dates...not November Med to July Med. Same for Carib

Apples to apples was my approach

I guarantee ncl will be lowering 2019 Carib and Med cruises....

If you believe that to be the case, simply wait and book at the lower rate.

Those who have booked at the current rate will either not know (or care) that the price has dropped and will keep their rate or they will cancel/rebook at the same rate that you will book.

Obviously, those who book later will have less of a selection. There are enough people who are particular about stateroom choice and they are booking at the current rate.

A better theory would be to claim that NCL is testing the market to see what (enough) people are willing to pay.