Laundry rooms

grouchomarx

Obviously they are busiest on sea days' date=' so if you choose to stay on board on a port day, that's a great time. Beyond that, it is pretty much luck of the draw. On our Japan cruise, I saw a woman come in with laundry and fill all 4 machines (fortunately mine was in the dryer). That room seemed to be pretty busy much of the time. On the Caribbean Princess last month, I walked into the room to find one dryer in use and both washers available. Obviously there was an empty dryer when my wash was done. This was about 4pm on a sea day.

There are multiple laundry rooms on each ship. What I did was to go over to the closest one with nothing. When I saw empty washers, I went back and got my laundry. Sure, they could have filled up in the few minutes I was gone, but better than dragging stuff that I couldn't do. There are people who seem to get out of bed and do laundry. There are others who feel that later in the day is the right time. There is no way to predict when you'll find machines available.

The other thing I've done is when someone has a washer nearly finished, I'll sit there till it is finished. As soon as their stuff comes out, it is my turn![/quote']

how often do you have to take clothes out of a washer/dryer when the person has left and the cycle is done??;p

how often do you have to take clothes out of a washer/dryer when the person has left and the cycle is done??;p

I give the about 5 minutes. If they don't come back, I'll remove their stuff. It doesn't happen often and frankly, people on Princess are more considerate than on Disney (and those machines have a timer that tells you to the minute when they will be finished!) My best story is the time I took someone's stuff out and 3 days later, it was still sitting there!

My philosophy is that I've rented the machine for the duration of a cycle. After that, it doesn't belong to me any more. And it is rude to just leave your stuff in a machine when other people need to use it.

Laundry process:

1) shove clothing into washer

2) throw pod into washer (do the pod challenge with another pod)

3) use plug nickel to start machine , better close the lid.

4) go drink one drink, not two, only one.

5) return to laundry room just as the cycle ends.

6) throw wet clothing into dryer.

7) repeat steps 3, 4 and 5.

Reminder: Only one drink!!!

Edited by neverbeenhere

Would you be upset if they axed the laundry rooms? Just curious how important it is to you guys.

We would be extremely unhappy if the self-service laundry went away. Even on our last cruise of only 14 days we did laundry. On the 28 day cruise before that we couldn't possibly have taken enough clothing to last out the cruise without doing laundry. I don't know how many pairs of underwear you pack but I don't take enough for that and cruising in the Caribbean and the South Pacific I definitely managed to sweat my shirts through. The self-service laundry is one of the great perks on a Princess cruise.

The Sky is due in Oct 2019 and it has laundry facilities on each passenger deck so I would not worry too much. I just did our laundry on the Regal a 0630 hrs on the mid turnover day of a b2b a little over two weeks ago. Nice and quiet and peaceful and I got some reading in before I ironed two shirts fresh out of the dryer.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2

There aren't laundry rooms on every deck but there are enough of them to handle the need of the passengers. We always take our own detergent as I am highly allergic to the perfume and other junk they put into most detergents. I don't like to break out in a rash and itch all over! We also don't use dryer sheets. Not only do they cause a rash and itching but the perfume is so overpowering that it makes me physically ill. (It destroys the entire street when one of the neighbors does laundry with those things. I tend to stay in the house when that happens.) I bet those who have met me didn't realize I'm so "delicate". :o

Our next cruise is on Coral Princes and we're booked in the same aft cabin as our last cruise on that ship. It's only a few cabins away from a laundry room. The cruise after that is on Sapphire and we are in a Lido balcony so the nearest laundry is about midship one deck below us on Baja. The cruise immediately following that one is a TA and we booked a Plaza Deck OV as we've been curious about that location. There is a laundry facility all the way forward on Plaza and it tends to be overlooked by many. (See? I do pay attention to where the laundry rooms are!)

We tend to do laundry on a sea day and put on a movie in the cabin or read. (Mostly we read during this time but on ships where you can pause the movie it's great!) We set a timer on the phone so that we get back to the laundry room a few minutes before the cycle is done so we don't have any issues with hogging the machines when someone else needs to use them. A little courtesy can go a long way.

Thanks for all your replies. Seems like self serve laundry is important. Glad tou got your voices out there, and I feel it sets Princess apart. Hope they keep it, like a lot of things we felt set them apart.

"The cruise after that is on Sapphire and we are in a Lido balcony so the nearest laundry is about midship one deck below us on Baja."

Thrak - according to the deck plans there are two on Aloha!! They are an odd shape by the looks of it, but one is across from Cabins A608/610 on the port side and A609/611 on the starbord side.

"The cruise after that is on Sapphire and we are in a Lido balcony so the nearest laundry is about midship one deck below us on Baja."

Thrak - according to the deck plans there are two on Aloha!! They are an odd shape by the looks of it, but one is across from Cabins A608/610 on the port side and A609/611 on the starbord side.

D'Oh! Those were actually the ones I meant. There are two on Baja as well but I just mistyped my info as I was really referencing the ones on Aloha. Old people... :o

Note to self: Dryer sheets good as Thrak repellent. ;p

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I am wounded! Cut to the quick!! Now I'll have to be on the lookout for you waving dryer sheets around. Maybe if I buy you a drink you will relent and not torment me. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

I really hope they don't do away with the laundry rooms. We use them mainly on longer cruises, gosh it's only an hour or two out of a whole week. It's one of the reasons we like Princess, We also do some hand laundry during the week.

Love having nice clean clothes!