Automatic Gratuities

And the same people coming back to read the new posts in the thread?

Of course not. They wait a couple days and start a new thread.

I think it's a sport ... like fishing.

BTW, do I have to dress formally on formal nights?

Of course not. They wait a couple days and start a new thread.

I think it's a sport ... like fishing.

BTW, do I have to dress formally on formal nights?

only if you bring your tuba, and have extra butter delivered to your table by drone..:cool:

Bwahahahahahaaaa.... I like it! I have to wonder how many people will be scratching their heads over that answer. :cool:

Bwahahahahahaaaa.... I like it! I have to wonder how many people will be scratching their heads over that answer. :cool:

Okay do I have to admit that I get it.

I am spending WAYYYY to much time on this board.

so, Carnival/Princess does not have to report that as income??

wouldn't it be a wash if all 'gratuity income' was paid out to the 'employees'?

Not for crew members from countries where gratuities are taxed less heavily than wages.

The bottom line is that it is a pretty complicated topic, yet all the Mass market lines have come up with essentially the same system. Details may vary but the basic system is the same. It isn't British tipping culture or Aussie tipping culture, or US tipping culture. It is Mass Market cruise tipping culture. The unwillingness of certain cultures to accept this means that some get their grats rolled into the cruise price, to the tax disadvantage of some of the crew members.

Outside of that it is basically people near the top of the global taking a 'principled' stand that keeping more money in their pocket by screwing over people near the bottom of the global heap is OK. Some not only do it themselves, they campaign to get other people to do it. But it is a scummy thing to do, IMO. No matter what kind of high falutin rhetoric they use to justify it.

��. If we are going to do a payroll accounting class, this will be fun.

Might I suggest that we could have a course in sales tax accounting next.

Look ... pay tips in CASH ... solves a lot of problems for a lot of people.

I very rarely read any posts here anymore...I just check in every two or three weeks to see if I happen to see anything new that is BIG! But, if not and I see an opportunity to express my opinion in an existing thread about not properly tipping crew :) I can’t restrain myself and try to motivate people to be more generous. So, even though I am hardly here anymore.... I got it!

Look ... pay tips in CASH ... solves a lot of problems for a lot of people.

And worst case gets a few crew members fired for tempting them to slip up and not report it to Princess. I’ll stick with auto-gratuities and a little extra $$ in envelopes for most of them for the amazing service they provide month after month.

Edited by AE_Collector

If you just give you room steward a 20 for example (on top of paying regular gratuities) can they keep it? Princess

Many here will tell you yes, but the crew contracts I’ve seen say all cash must be handed in.

No, crew members will not be fired because passengers tempted them. They will be fired if they failed to comply with company policy and were caught.

People should feel free to tip as they see fit, whether in cash or charged to their on board accounts. Most people wouldn't have a clue as to Princess policies regarding tipping if they didn't read these boards. It is the responsibility of the crew member to comply with policies!