Wine bottles on the ship

I understand RCI allows two bottles per cabin to able to brought on the ship. Other than the MDR where they charge a $15 corkage fee; can we open and drink it anywhere on the ship?

Corkage fee may be charged if the bottle is brought to any public venue.

So are we limited to drinking it in the cabins?

Pretty much, if you want to avoid the small possiblity of a corkage fee.

In reality, they don't seem to be very anxious to charge the fee. Also, you can take glasses of wine anywhere, without any fee.

Fill a glass from inside your cabin, and you can take that anywhere you want. :cool:

We see "wandering" drinkers with an assortment of adult beverages in their hands all over the ship.

Enjoy and Cheers! :tropical-drink::wine-glass:

Are you allowed to only bring two for "Free", but bring more and get charged the corkage?

No, their rule is only two bottles per stateroom per cruise.

I would love to bring two onboard but seems like a hassle. Best way to transport?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have driven on all of our recent cruises except for one last summer out of San Juan.

We just bubble wrap the 2 bottles and put them in our beach bag that we carry on. And, yep makes it much heavier.

In San Juan, we bought 2 bottles in the small shop located at the dock.

We started carry on wine about 6 cruises ago after the wife got popped for $76 for a bottle of so-so wine.

She has her favorite from Costco that I have carried onboard for her with the exception of the 2 bottles we purchased in San Juan.

I know about the corkage fee but since it was "introduced" we have cruised 3 times and never been charged. The ships were the Adventure, Oasis, and Brilliance which could not be more different but, again, all three, no charge.

But $15 a bottle is still a drop in the bucket vs. the purchase price for an onboard bottle.

Edited by baileybrad

Any experiences with corkage fee on Freedom?

We brought 6 bottles (3 cabins) on the Freedom last summer and drank three of them in the dining room and one at Chops. At each venue, the waiter asked us if we were aware that there was a $15 dollar corkage fee. Each time we said yes, we were and it was no problem. Never once did that corkage fee actually show up on our account. YMMV but that is how it went for us.

I thought you were only allowed to physically bring on 2 bottles? How did you bring 6?

Edit: Nevermind. Just saw 3 cabins. duh.

To be honest, no one even asked. I had four bottles in my carry on, and my mother had two and not one single person asked how many cabins we had. Granted this was sailing from Barcelona so I don't know if they are a bit more lax at that port than at others.

Fill a glass from inside your cabin, and you can take that anywhere you want. :cool:

We see "wandering" drinkers with an assortment of adult beverages in their hands all over the ship.

Can we ask the room steward for a corkscrew or it is okay to pack one in our checked luggage?

Can we ask the room steward for a corkscrew or it is okay to pack one in our checked luggage?

I always have one or more wine keys (waiters keys/corkscrews) in my checked luggage. Never a problem.

Any experiences with corkage fee on Freedom?

We were on Freedom in Jan. We had 6 couples and we all brought wine to the MDR with no problems. In fact the waiters were falling all over themselves to pour it for us and keep the white wine chilled. Never even mentioned the corkage fee. BUT you might want to remember that when you add to the standard tip to thank them for not charging you the corkage fee. :)

We always have a corkscrew in our first aid kit. Always prepared for emergencies.;p

Oh dear...what are you operating on with that first aid kit wine key? That little knife is going to take some time. :eek:;)

I bring the tall aluminum coffee mugs with a cover on board, pour in a decent amount of wine and carry it around for the night, it stays cold . No need to go back to the cabin for a refill. Its not a wine glass but works for me.

We always have a corkscrew in our first aid kit. Always prepared for emergencies.;p

I always bring my corkscrew too! I usually order a glass of wine at the bar asap then I have a wine glass, back to my room, and fill it up with the wine I brought on board. Last cruise, I walked down to the MDR with a glass of wine in my hand each night.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums