Insignia on rough water

Kruzkrazy

Insignia is one of Oceania's 4 "R" ships. (Azamara has them also).

They "handle" rough seas just fine. However, wind and waves can rock any ship of any design if Mother Nature so desires.

I have seen people get sick the second they cast off lines from the pier.... In reality I have never really seen the R ships behave any different from the O ships... Its the ocean for God's sake it moves. If your hyper prone to motion sickness then why take a vacation on something you think is going to make you.

Your going to feel some motion all the time your not tied up at a pier or on land, no matter what size ship your on....its physics Big things move just as much as the smaller ones, it just takes a bit more time to get them going.

However , people psych them selves out and after many years at sea, in everything from a row boat to an Aircraft carrier, you can watch some people make themselves sick with worry and an assumption that they will get sick...

On the other hand those with a positive and up beat attitude dont experience anything. My conclusion is that seasickness is 50-75% of psychological origin. All the pills, bands, gizmos are distractions to un focus a person on the idea of being sick. Sort of like Dumbo's magic feather.

...On the other hand those with a positive and up beat attitude dont experience anything. My conclusion is that seasickness is 50-75% of psychological origin. All the pills, bands, gizmos are distractions to un focus a person on the idea of being sick. Sort of like Dumbo's magic feather.

My conclusion is that you would be wrong 40-65% of the time

I too have seen calm water seasickness, DW on a sailboat but do not make the same blanket conclusion that is all in their head 50-75% of the time. It seems to be a reaction to a perceived threat. Granted that perceived threat is "in their head" but based on an interpretation of physical condition / sensation. I think I am not alone

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Motion_sickness

Motion sickness or kinetosis is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the Vestibular system's sense of movement. Depending on the cause it can also be referred to as seasickness, carsickness, simulation sickness, airsickness, or space sickness.

Dizziness, fatigue, and nausea are the most common symptoms of motion sickness.[1] Sopite syndrome is also a side effect of motion sickness. In fact, nausea in Greek means seasickness (naus means ship).[How to reference and link to summary or text] If the motion causing nausea is not resolved, the sufferer will frequently vomit. Unlike ordinary sickness, vomiting in motion sickness tends not to relieve the nausea.

About one third of people are susceptible to motion sickness even in mild circumstances such as being on a boat in calm water, although nearly two thirds of people are susceptible in more severe conditions.[2] Approximately half of the astronauts in the U.S. space program have suffered from space sickness.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

The most common hypothesis for the cause of motion sickness is that it functions as a defense mechanism against neurotoxins.

etc

Edited by YoHoHo

I have also been prone to mal de mer but that doesn't mean I always have a problem. I've had occasional problems on the "R" ships but also on larger ships. I've tried Dan's technique of looking forward at the horizon and I'm not convinced if it works or not but I'm still willing to try it. It doesn't hurt!

I HAVE found that if I've been very ill on a ship, I'm more sensitive on subsequent trips. But that wears off.

It's really been a while since I've been "just lie down in bed" sick on a ship. I like to think I'm over it ... we shall see.

No, I don't think it's psychological ... but that doesn't mean it couldn't be! If you expect to be sick, it's quite likely you will be. I'm not sure that being positive you WON'T be sick works the same way ...

My husband should have been a sailor. Not me!

A friend of ours was in the army in WWII and was shipped overseas on the Queen Mary or some such ship. He said the seas were so rough that EVERYONE was sick. But this was 70 years ago ... things may have changed.

Mura

We've been on both big and small ships, and each handles rough water differently. I noticed the Insignia tended to do a lot of pitching up and down and she rode the waves, while the larger ship didn't experience that phenomenon. Instead, the longer ship simply plowed into the waves, causing the ship to seemingly halt and shudder every 30 seconds or so. I handled both types of motion well - my DW, however, didn't.

I have also been prone to mal de mer but that doesn't mean I always have a problem. I've had occasional problems on the "R" ships but also on larger ships. I've tried Dan's technique of looking forward at the horizon and I'm not convinced if it works or not but I'm still willing to try it. It doesn't hurt!

I HAVE found that if I've been very ill on a ship, I'm more sensitive on subsequent trips. But that wears off.

It's really been a while since I've been "just lie down in bed" sick on a ship. I like to think I'm over it ... we shall see.

No, I don't think it's psychological ... but that doesn't mean it couldn't be! If you expect to be sick, it's quite likely you will be. I'm not sure that being positive you WON'T be sick works the same way ...

My husband should have been a sailor. Not me!

A friend of ours was in the army in WWII and was shipped overseas on the Queen Mary or some such ship. He said the seas were so rough that EVERYONE was sick. But this was 70 years ago ... things may have changed.

Mura

Mura.... a lot of motion or vertigo is the result of one loosing the horizon in the direction of travel. The inner ear fluids get scattered if one looks at 90 degrees off to one side or another and it sends a message of panic to the brain. Pilots are taught not to move their head in making high G or load turns, To keep the head parallel with long axis of the aircraft. Only the eyes move .

The simple inertia aligns and sets the ear fluid like a gyro/ artificial horizon On a ship, facing froward, in the direction of travel, in a position to see from both eyes the horizon dead ahead resets the ear and the wind in ones face is a physical reinforcement to that. Astronauts are in zero gravity and during acceleration, if they move their head off to the side its going to re set the ear to an abnormal state . It sends messages to the eyes too and its possible to be sitting, looking dead ahead and seeing what was the horizontal horizon, spinning vertically and 90 degrees Any pilots out there will understand. The FAA stated that motion sickness is enabled by anxiety in many cases.

As to the psychology....some what like placebo if yo think you will or wont,you have a good chance of getting or not the affliction. I have been in real heavy weather on a Destroyer and a lot of guys got sick. Those on the bridge with the position I described rarely got sick. Even more interesting, I have seen sailors sick as dogs, stagger down the gangway and the second their feet touched the pier... pow!!! everything was great.

Edited by Hawaiidan

We have an inside room to Bermuda. Not prone to motion sickness, but usually have an OV cabin.

Where could I go in the middle of the night to see outside and sit for an hour if needed? On another cruiseline I actually went by the (closed) pool and just sat in a lounge chair. Is this possible on insignia?

We have an inside room to Bermuda. Not prone to motion sickness, but usually have an OV cabin.

Where could I go in the middle of the night to see outside and sit for an hour if needed? On another cruiseline I actually went by the (closed) pool and just sat in a lounge chair. Is this possible on insignia?

Do you want to be outside or does it matter?

They usually take the cushions off & stack the loungers at night

Horizons is indoors & forward so if the seas are bumpy you may feel it there

On Regatta they had this nice seating area where the stage was ..not sure if it is the same on Insignia or not

i-77dTtz2-L.jpg

Edited by LHT28

If I were looking for an outdoor place to ((hopefully)) settle my stomach, I would not go to the pool deck, because if, well, push came to shove, and one needed to get to a railing quickly, it would literally be a mess.

174027.jpg

On Deck 5, the R class ships have decks beneath their lifeboats, which don't get much use, particularly at night, and there are usually deck chairs lining the wall beneath the windows.

153939.jpg

On Deck 5, the R class ships have decks beneath their lifeboats, which don't get much use, particularly at night, and there are usually deck chairs lining the wall beneath the windows.

If the seas are rough the space is usually off limits for pax going out there

even the pool deck can be off limits if really bad

Bermuda cruises can be rough. They can also be calm. I have taken many from NY. Newer ships have good stabilizers. If you are prone to seasickness, bring a remedy or fly to Bermuda. I was there last week. Sailed in. It was calm. Flying in is a sure way to avoid being sick.

so where will the most motion be ?? Many agree mid ship which is the fulcrum or center of gravity for the ship in the ships long axis. for pitching up and down.( like a teeter totter)

However that brings us to the side or transverse axis of the ship.when it rolls from side to side. Like a lever or a teeter totter there is a fulcrum it is on , the center of the ships long axis, OK? Now every foot from the dead center of the ship you move out to the edge of the hull will move more and more every foot..

Thus a cabin 25 feet from the center of the inside cabin, will move 25X more on either side !! Just ask Archimedes... he didn't lie

The inside cabins are basically located dead center on both axis,( long ans side), of the ship and will physically and mathematically have the least motion on the entire ship

An outside cabin, however, mid ship will experience the least pitching,BUT the most rolling or yawing motion.

Its simple physics, and just because you dont understand physics doesn't mean it wont kill you

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea how to post a new topic, so I hope someone in the know will answer.

My question is about Wine, Beer and Booze.

I have read that one is allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine, per room, aboard at embarkation. Should we?

What is the cost of a glass of wine at dinner/lunch. What is the cost at one of the bars? How much in general is the cost of a Martini or a Dark & Stormy?

Is it expected to tip the bartender before leaving the bar?

I was amazed that there a $25.00 corkage fee in the dining room? With that in mind do bottles of wine cost 100's? Are the beverages packages worth buying?

We are sailing on the Insignia from NYC to LA January 11, 2019. Any "ship" tips would be appreciated, this is our first time on an Oceania ship, but have sailed on many other lines.

On CruiseCritic I'm AnnieRob, but on board I'm Robin and can be reached at erslinc@gmail.com

I have no idea how to post a new topic, so I hope someone in the know will answer.

When you are on the Oceania board and looking at the list of threads, you will see a "button" marked New Thread....click it. Put in your thread title (in the small empty box above the bigger empty box), then write your post in the bigger box. Click Submit New Thread button. Make your thread title specific to the topic, not something vague.

As stated by GOBUCKS look on the main page for NEW THREAD button

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

My question is about Wine, Beer and Booze.

I have read that one is allowed to bring 6 bottles of wine, per room, aboard at embarkation. Should we?

Personal choice

What is the cost of a glass of wine at dinner/lunch. What is the cost at one of the bars? How much in general is the cost of a Martini or a Dark & Stormy?

I posted some menus from Dec cruise at

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-bnXmLm/

Is it expected to tip the bartender before leaving the bar?

An 18% tax/gratuity is added to individual drink prices ..you can tip extra if you choose

I was amazed that there a $25.00 corkage fee in the dining room? With that in mind do bottles of wine cost 100's?

Price for wine by the bottle rage from $40 +

Are the beverages packages worth buying?

depends on your drinking habits

We are sailing on the Insignia from NYC to LA January 11, 2019. Any "ship" tips would be appreciated, this is our first time on an Oceania ship, but have sailed on many other lines.

On CruiseCritic I'm AnnieRob, but on board I'm Robin

not a good idea to put your email on a public forum or you may get a lot of spam

Go & enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

So, back to the original topic. I can get motion sick WATCHING someone swing. So I wear SeaBands 24/7 when on a cruise (I get so used to them I forget to take them off if walking around a town). I also bring ginger capsules and Bonine tablets. If things are a little rough, I start taking the ginger (I don't wait for it to start making me feel queasy). If it gets really rough (and that's happened a few times), I take the Bonine. Only on one or two occasions have I felt the queasiness. I guess I could add gingerale on top of all that if I needed. It has never caused me to take to the bed or toilet. There have been some rough seas that have made me think I should get drunk to offset the rocking of the boat, though. j/k