Good, better, best ...

Sue's Mom

we have been cruising for a number of years, HAL, RCI, Princess. Our most recent cruises have been with RCI and our upcoming cruise is with P&O.

I have read recently that if I want a better cruise, better food etc i should look for a better cruise company. The ones we have sailed with in the past have all been good companies but we have noticed the deterioration in food on RCI so much so that we definitely will not be sailing with them again. Perhaps it was only that ship or may be only that sailing but we don’t want to chance it. So we booked with P&O who have or used to have a good reputation in the UK. But apparently this company also falls into the “ cheap” category.

So, I really would like to know the names of companies in the next category up please.

Next category up: Oceania (loved for its food), Azamara (loved for the ambiance), Viking Ocean cruises (all new ships)

You might like to try Celebrity as well. I have only been on their Galapagos cruise which is a totally different animal.

We have heard that both P&O here and Oz are on the less luxurious end.

However, a cruise is what you make of it and is still quite an indulgent holiday anyway. I have no doubt we will enjoy our P&O Aussie cruise this summer.The only reason we dont sail P&O UK is we have heard they go quite formal/traditional and we prefer to be around other cultures on holiday instead of Brits.

Anyway, my point is that cruise lines in the mainsteam market are very similar when all is said and done. One line might spend a little more on food or have little extras such as a glass of bubbly on the 1st day or pilow chocolates.

Rather than finding an upscale line would it be worth upscaling the cabin to a suite?

If you liked Princess then Celebrity is a good bet. I hear they are similar. After the ones you mentioned the next lines up will be the ones mentioned above.

Oceania (loved for its food), Azamara (loved for the ambiance), Viking Ocean cruises (all new ships)

concur and would add WINDSTAR

there's one thing you'll find in common with these lines ... smaller ship size. And this is a big factor in what you seek. it is difficult to provide the same level of service to 3000 folks as you can for a few hundred .... If you want surf-rider machines, go carts on the ship and rock climbing walls you need ships the size of the RCL monsters. Want 'included meals' to be better than ones you pay extra for on RCL? Find a ship where they don't need to prepare dinner for 3500 people at a time! However the smaller the pass' count, the more you should expect to pay . . .

There are two exception classes to this generalization

1) there are two big ship lines that are still know for outstanding - or better than the mainstream anyway - service. Disney and Cunard. On both you will get service nearer the small ship experience and you will pay a similar price! IMO the food quality on these still doesn't come close to a small ship experience (unless you pay for the up grades on top of the premium you ALREADY pay) but food is also VERY subjective .... (ALTHO: a crossing on QM2 can cost less than business class air tickets for two ..}

2) Smaller yet then what is mentioned above, most river cruises take the small ship concept to the next level ... sailing with 200 or so .... half of the 'small number' on a WINDSTAR. Service goes UP when the pass' count goes down ... at least this has been our experience with EU river cruises. I can't comment on those in different places like the Amazon or Vietnam! But the typical Danube or Rhine river cruise on any of the lines that cater to the US crowd take cruising to a new level. It IS a different type of cruising and it IS not cheap but one does tend to get what one pays for .... {technical detail, what you really want to see is number of staff / passengers. More staff per pass tends to mean better service}

(editorial: we worked our way thru the cruise 'experiences', started with the cheapest ones out there in the 80's and got up to Disney, Cunard, Windstar and

more recently

Viking River. Not long ago, on a whim for a last minute get away we took a junior suite on OASIS; a friend kept telling us how all the 'stuff' made the cruise SO WONDERFUL. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! Days after getting off we booked VIKING OCEAN ..... I just can't compare the two anymore without laughing .... service, food, lack of crowds, enjoyable folks we meet everyday ..... YES is costs more ..... in some ways. For example RCL charged us over $350 each for unlimited drinks on a 7 nite cruise. VO is less than $300 for a 14 nite trip and if we don't want that, beer and wine is already included! And a shore excursion is already included in each port ..... and the minibar is 'included' restocked at no extra charge (varies by cabin class) and specialty rest's are included in base fare, you just need to make ressies ..... and let's not even begin to discuss port options. Frankly, we're over the Caribbean thing ... looking for new.)

Just my opinion ..... but I recommend you 'look small'!

Edited by Capt_BJ

we have been cruising for a number of years' date=' HAL, RCI, Princess. Our most recent cruises have been with RCI and our upcoming cruise is with P&O.

I have read recently that if I want a better cruise, better food etc i should look for a better cruise company. The ones we have sailed with in the past have all been good companies but we have noticed the deterioration in food on RCI so much so that we definitely will not be sailing with them again. Perhaps it was only that ship or may be only that sailing but we don’t want to chance it. So we booked with P&O who have or used to have a good reputation in the UK. But apparently this company also falls into the “ cheap” category.

So, I really would like to know the names of companies in the next category up please.[/quote']

We have been on 6 cruise lines:

Cunard-food excellent

Celebrity-food very good

HAL: food good

RCI:food okay

Carnival and NCI: food bad

We've been on several main line cruise ships, and found the food much of a muchness; we only bother with the MDR on formal nights now, and go to the speciality restaurants or make up our own plates at the buffet.

The one exception to this was our last cruise, with Fred Olsen. The food in the MDR was so good that we ate in there every night.