Please help me pick an Alaska itinerary?

iujen94

We are thinking about an Alaska cruise for the summer of 2019. I'm in the VERY early planning stages, and would love some input on possible itineraries. We will most likely be sailing Royal Caribbean.

About us: we are a family of 4 - me, DH, DS12 and DS15. We've cruised as a family 4 times, all on RC and all in the Caribbean. We've never been to Alaska. We (especially our boys) are very active. Our normal shore excursions are things like ziplining and rafting.

Which of these itineraries would you choose for us:

Radiance of the Seas:

Vancouver

Inside Passage (cruising)

Ketchikan 6am-4pm

Icy Strait Point 9am-6pm

Juneau 7am-9:30pm

Skagway 7am-4:30pm

Hubbard Glacier (cruising)

Seward

Ovation of the Seas:

Seattle

Cruising

Alaska Inside Passage (cruising)

Juneau 12noon-9pm

Skagway 7am-8:30pm

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier (cruising)

Cruising

Victoria 9am-6pm

Seattle

We generally LOVE big ships, so I want to choose Ovation, but Radiance has two extra stops in Alaska - Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point. Radiance also cruises by Hubbard Glacier. But Radiance is soooo small compared to other RC ships we've been on (Oasis, Allure, Harmony and Independence) and seems like it'll have less onboard activities for our teen boys on our cruising days. On the other hand, we'll have SO much time onboard with Ovation, and if we're in Alaska, I'd like to get out and see Alaska at as many ports as we can.

I'm torn. Thoughts and suggestions, please?? Thanks!

Absolutely Radiance....not a fan of the Seattle itinerary or the waste of time Seattle requires.

Our favorite is the northbound out of Vancouver...sailing towards Alaska instead of the southbound sailing away from it.

Enjoy whatever works best for you and your family...Enjoy Alaska it's beautiful.

We're doing Radiance Southbound next month (DW and I, both 40, no kids). Like you, except for one 4-night cruise on Enchantment to the Bahamas, I have only sailed on Voyager class and above. The only reason I agreed to the smaller ship was b/c my wife (who picked and planned 95% of this trip) was convinced after tons of research and opinion gathering that Southbound was the better direction, especially since we don't plan on doing Alaska again anytime soon.

The smaller ship will likely take some getting used to (I really missed having a big open Promenade on Enchantment) but after numerous Caribbean cruises that have been as much for the ships as the ports, this trip will definitely be about the location for us so the ship was less important. That said, we don't have kids to keep entertained. Just figured I'd share what I could. Hope something in my rambling was helpful. Happy decision-making!

A lot depends on cost , convenience and what you really want to see on the cruise. Seattle as a RT is simpler and cheaper generally for the air and I have done it as a late booking just to do. For your first and perhaps only cruise to Alaska you have to also ask yourself if the cruise alone is what you will satisfied with. Many really also want the ground experience with the chance to visit Denali as well. For that you need a one way either to or from Vancouver. You could decide either north or south bound depending on your schedule and add the land portion then pre or post cruise.

Another point. I realize RC is your line of choice but do not discount either Princess or HAL. As you read these boards many of us will say that the ideal Alaskan cruise ought to include Glacier Bay and those lines control the majority of the GB slots although not all.

I would do Radiance based on the itinerary. Alaska to me is all about the itinerary. We went north on inside passage and chose Princess 5 years ago. Our sons were 9 & 17 - we had a great trip and we reminisce about that trip often. We planned our own excursions, renting a car in Skagway, grabbing a lunch and heading north to Emerald Lake. We got to enjoy the Carcross Desert and many other great stops. We saw bears, yes more than 5, and mountain goats and all sheep. In Juneau, we took a small boat up into Tracy Arm Fjord, seeing all kinds of wildlife, both sea and mammals! There is SO much to do at each stop - it was hard to chose! Enjoy whatever ship, itinerary and excursions you pick! Alaska is incredible!

I agree with Radiance if you are asking for which itinerary. The downside is it's not round trip so you'll have to fly one way (maybe do a cruise tour after if budget permits?). Ovation is a newer/bigger ship but with only 2 Alaskan ports (you do get a longer day in Victoria but that's not Alaska) it really seems like you'd just be "sailing by" all the good stuff. The Radiance is smaller than Ovation but it's definitely not the smallest that does Alaska. I'm sailing next week on a ship that holds about 1400 passengers, whereas Radiance is about 2500 and Ovation is about 4000.

It's a shame Glacier bay isn't an option. There are round-trip Seattle or Vancouver itineraries that go there instead of Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm with other cruise lines that also give you at least 3 Alaskan ports. I'd at least consider looking at other lines to make sure you are getting the itinerary you want.

With the Radiance, you get Seward, where you can do a Kenai Fjords Glacier cruise to see amazing wildlife. You cannot do that from a Seattle roundtrip. Many say this is the highlight of their vacation. That's what we are doing (an itinerary very close to yours on the Radiance).

We are thinking about an Alaska cruise for the summer of 2019. I'm in the VERY early planning stages, and would love some input on possible itineraries. We will most likely be sailing Royal Caribbean.

About us: we are a family of 4 - me, DH, DS12 and DS15. We've cruised as a family 4 times, all on RC and all in the Caribbean. We've never been to Alaska. We (especially our boys) are very active. Our normal shore excursions are things like ziplining and rafting.

Which of these itineraries would you choose for us:

Radiance of the Seas:

Vancouver

Ketchikan 6am-4pm

Icy Strait Point 9am-6pm

Seward

Ovation of the Seas:

Seattle

Cruising

Alaska Inside Passage (cruising)

Juneau 12noon-9pm

Skagway 7am-8:30pm

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier (cruising)

Cruising

Victoria 9am-6pm

Seattle

We generally LOVE big ships, so I want to choose Ovation, but Radiance has two extra stops in Alaska - Ketchikan and Icy Strait Point. Radiance also cruises by Hubbard Glacier. But Radiance is soooo small compared to other RC ships we've been on (Oasis, Allure, Harmony and Independence) and seems like it'll have less onboard activities for our teen boys on our cruising days. On the other hand, we'll have SO much time onboard with Ovation, and if we're in Alaska, I'd like to get out and see Alaska at as many ports as we can.

I'm torn. Thoughts and suggestions, please?? Thanks!

I will be the voice of dissent here, I guess. For me, Skagway was a priority in our planning. If I’d been given these two options, I would’ve picked the longer port day in Skagway.

However, I think it entirely depends upon what your priorities are, not mine. 😊

I’d say pick Ovation if:

Ship experience is a deal breaker for your family

Round trip airfare works best for you

Overall costs works best

I’d say pick Radiance if:

You want to see more of Alaska

You want to have more ports/port activities

You want to add time before/after cruise to do some inland touring or activities in Seward.

Enjoy the planning stage and don’t let it drive you bonkers. 😊

Just to through my booking appearance in. I'm booked on the NCL Jewel in July and based on the points from others in this thread I'm surprised it's not as popular of a pick. We leave from Vancouver and sail the inside passage (not the west side or ocean side of Vancouver Island). Stop at Ketch,Juneau, and Skagway. Skagway is a long stop from 8am-8pm. Then do Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glaciers before finishing in Seward. I felt like this itinerary hit on most of the must do's. I was very close to booking the Bliss but was blown away by the Jewel's itinerary and also lower price!

OK, I've eliminated Ovation from contention, but have added NCL Jewel to the mix. Which of these would you choose, taking into consideration the itinerary and ship?

RC Radiance -

Vancouver

Ketchikan 6am-4pm

Icy Strait Point 9am-6pm

Seward

NCL Jewel -

Vancouver

Ketchikan 7am-4pm

Juneau 11am-9pm

Skagway 8am-8pm

Glacier Bay (cruising)

Seward

OK, I've eliminated Ovation from contention, but have added NCL Jewel to the mix. Which of these would you choose, taking into consideration the itinerary and ship?

RC Radiance -

Vancouver

Ketchikan 6am-4pm

Icy Strait Point 9am-6pm

Seward

NCL Jewel -

Vancouver

Ketchikan 7am-4pm

Juneau 11am-9pm

Skagway 8am-8pm

Glacier Bay (cruising)

Seward

I don't know anything about the 2 ships but I think the Jewel's itinerary that includes a day's scenic cruising in Glacier Bay is much better. We are on our 3rd Alaska cruise this summer and even though we've been to Glacier Bay on the 2 previous cruises I couldn't imagine missing it this time.

Between Jewel and Radiance itineraries I would pick Radiance due to extra port (Icy Straight) . That said, we found Hubbard Glacier more impressive then Glacier Bay, however most people feel otherwise. Every time glacier discussions come into play the recommendation is Glacier Bay.

Edited by olya1972
Spelling

Between Jewel and Radiance itineraries I would pick Radiance due to extra port (Icy Straight) . That said, we found Hubbard Glacier more impressive then Glacier Bay, however most people feel otherwise. Every time glacier discussions come into play the recommendation is Glacier Bay.

I think the preference for Glacier Bay is due partly to it being a world heritage site, partly because there are park rangers who come aboard, partly because there are more than one glacier seen, and largely due to the fact that is is missed less frequently than the others.

Also, there’s what I call “the cool kid factor” which is that because there are a limited number of permits for entry into Glacier Bay per season, it gives it the air of exclusivity. Some people like that. ;)

I think the preference for Glacier Bay is due partly to it being a world heritage site, partly because there are park rangers who come aboard, partly because there are more than one glacier seen, and largely due to the fact that is is missed less frequently than the others.

Also, there’s what I call “the cool kid factor” which is that because there are a limited number of permits for entry into Glacier Bay per season, it gives it the air of exclusivity. Some people like that. ;)

With an end in Seward, OP can do a Kenai Fjords Glacier cruise, see Mendenhall, and Hubbard. Some on Cruise Critic seem to get upset when others don't book a Glacier Bay itinerary. We're not and saving $1,000 per cabin for two cabins by choosing Celebrity over Princess inside passage. Another time we'll do Glacier Bay, but not now.

Another time we'll do Glacier Bay, but not now.

Ah, but then you need to come back a second time!

OP - If it is your first cruise and you think you will never return to Alaska then I still recommend Glacier Bay. That was our rationale in 2007 on our first Alaska cruise. In 2012 we were traveling with my siblings and spouses and they said it would probably be their only cruise to Alaska (and so far it is) so we did Glacier Bay again with no complaints from us. This summer we are taking our 2 kids, their spouses, and our granddaughter on what I have to presume may be their only Alaska cruise so we're seeing Glacier Bay again and looking forward to it :D

OP - if you need more info on cruising Glacier Bay specifically, check out the National Park Service's video:

Ah, but then you need to come back a second time!

OP - If it is your first cruise and you think you will never return to Alaska then I still recommend Glacier Bay. That was our rationale in 2007 on our first Alaska cruise. In 2012 we were traveling with my siblings and spouses and they said it would probably be their only cruise to Alaska (and so far it is) so we did Glacier Bay again with no complaints from us. This summer we are taking our 2 kids, their spouses, and our granddaughter on what I have to presume may be their only Alaska cruise so we're seeing Glacier Bay again and looking forward to it :D

OP - if you need more info on cruising Glacier Bay specifically, check out the National Park Service's video:

I don't NEED to do anything a second time. Neither does the OP. Many of the Glacier Bay itineraries don't go near Seward and those on those cruises don't NEED to take a Kenai Fjords cruise even though many would prefer that experience to Glacier Bay. Our original plan was also to include Denali, but we didn't have the time and didn't want to spend two days in travel (up and back) with the third day being on a converted school bus for 9 hours looking out windows. I also don't think I'd take an NCL Jewel vacation. To each his own, but my days on NCL or Carnival are over.

I don't NEED to do anything a second time. Neither does the OP. Many of the Glacier Bay itineraries don't go near Seward and those on those cruises don't NEED to take a Kenai Fjords cruise even though many would prefer that experience to Glacier Bay. Our original plan was also to include Denali, but we didn't have the time and didn't want to spend two days in travel (up and back) with the third day being on a converted school bus for 9 hours looking out windows. I also don't think I'd take an NCL Jewel vacation. To each his own, but my days on NCL or Carnival are over.

It is just Princess that doesn't - many Glacier Bay cruises (one ways) go to Seward.

OP: We have been to all of these ports and all of the glaciers on both the NCL and the RCI itineraries. We have also sailed the NCL Jewel in Alaska and a sister of the Radiance in the Caribbean. With that background.....

You will have a fabulous time on either ship/itinerary. They are both excellent and clearly superior to the Ovation, which has one of my least favorite itineraries.

I would weigh my priorities of ship and glacier viewing vs. port. Both end in Seward and will allow you to do the Kenai Fjords tour if you allow time after the cruise. Do you have a strong preference for multiple glacier viewing? If so, then pick the Jewel, which has Glacier Bay, Hubbard and the Kenai Fjords opportunity. Alternatively, would you rather spend more time on land in Alaska with still some glacier viewing opportunity? If so, then pick the Radiance. You are very likely to at least be able to see Hubbard (if only from afar), and, even if not, then you have another chance on the Kenai Fjords tour. For ship, we significantly preferred the Radiance's sister over the NCL Jewel.

For me, I would pick the Radiance because I like the port stops, and I'm not as overwhelmed by the glaciers.

OP: We have been to all of these ports and all of the glaciers on both the NCL and the RCI itineraries. We have also sailed the NCL Jewel in Alaska and a sister of the Radiance in the Caribbean. With that background.....

You will have a fabulous time on either ship/itinerary. They are both excellent and clearly superior to the Ovation, which has one of my least favorite itineraries.

I would weigh my priorities of ship and glacier viewing vs. port. Both end in Seward and will allow you to do the Kenai Fjords tour if you allow time after the cruise. Do you have a strong preference for multiple glacier viewing? If so, then pick the Jewel, which has Glacier Bay, Hubbard and the Kenai Fjords opportunity. Alternatively, would you rather spend more time on land in Alaska with still some glacier viewing opportunity? If so, then pick the Radiance. You are very likely to at least be able to see Hubbard (if only from afar), and, even if not, then you have another chance on the Kenai Fjords tour. For ship, we significantly preferred the Radiance's sister over the NCL Jewel.

For me, I would pick the Radiance because I like the port stops, and I'm not as overwhelmed by the glaciers.

This is incredibly helpful. Would you mind sharing why you preferred Rafiance’s sister over Jewel? Thanks!

This is incredibly helpful. Would you mind sharing why you preferred Rafiance’s sister over Jewel? Thanks!

Sure, no problem. In retrospect, we've actually sailed two of the sisters, the Jewel of the Seas in the Caribbean and the Serenade of the Seas in the Mediterranean. These ships are beautiful with the expansive outdoor glass public viewing areas that are somewhat lacking on the NCL ship. This is a big advantage for Alaska. The fitness center on the NCL Jewel is waaaay to small for a ship that size. It also has very limited viewing, which makes it somewhat claustrophobic and also means that you miss out on many wonderful sights while exercising (which is not true of the RCI Radiance class ships). We really like the Centrum on the RCI ships for their activities. NCL did not have an analogous location that was the center of activity. In addition, although clearly subjective, I prefer the food on RCI over NCL.

Having said all this, I would still return to NCL any time if the itinerary and price were right.