Star VS Island Princess for Alaska- Big differences? Indoor heated pools?

ktoholt

Hi!

We are looking at booking a last minute cruise to Alaska and trying to decide between the Island and the Star (can't afford the balcony prices on Coral). I was wondering what the big differences are in the two ships? Do both have heated indoor pools still? Anything that makes one significantly better than the other?

Itinerary wise they are both the Northern route from Vancouver to Anchorage. The only port differences is Island does Icy Strait Point (full day), while Star does Ketchikan (1/2 day), other than that the Itinerary is the same (Inside passage, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, etc). (Side note- best post for Dog sledding?)

I previously sailed on the Island Princess in the Mediterranean (June 2015) which looks like it was after the Island princess was remodeled to- what appears to be- the dismay of many. We didn't feel like it was bad, but there wasn't a lot to do for us (mid 30's couple) and maybe the retrofitting changes are why.

I would appreciate any help! :)

Thank you!!

Hi!

We are looking at booking a last minute cruise to Alaska and trying to decide between the Island and the Star (can't afford the balcony prices on Coral). I was wondering what the big differences are in the two ships? Do both have heated indoor pools still? Anything that makes one significantly better than the other?

Itinerary wise they are both the Northern route from Vancouver to Anchorage. The only port differences is Island does Icy Strait Point (full day), while Star does Ketchikan (1/2 day), other than that the Itinerary is the same (Inside passage, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, etc). (Side note- best post for Dog sledding?)

I previously sailed on the Island Princess in the Mediterranean (June 2015) which looks like it was after the Island princess was remodeled to- what appears to be- the dismay of many. We didn't feel like it was bad, but there wasn't a lot to do for us (mid 30's couple) and maybe the retrofitting changes are why.

I would appreciate any help! :)

Thank you!!

I would select the Star. Both have indoor pools, heated probably, but not hot. The Star has (the Island does not):

About 400 more passengers with extra space to handle them.

Full promenade 360 degrees with bow views.

Vista Lounge, a second show lounge. Also used for other activities like ZUMBA, trivia, movies, bingo, and other.

International Cafe open 24/7, no charge

3 main DR's, more space. The Island's 2 DR's were designed for 200 less passengers.

A nicely designed buffet area

Lots of upper deck viewing areas

More pools including the Terrace Pool and the Lotus Pool both adults only.

Skywalker's nightclub. Really nice day time views, all windows on deck 18 aft.

Vines wine bar. Good selection of wines by the glass plus sushi and tapas.

I would sail the Star, hands down. We’ve sailed the Coral (Island sister ship) and the Star and can say, IMHO, that the Star is much better. sknight gave great reasons why. Skywalker’s. Is our favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! I appreciate it. We will definitely look to book Start instead then. If anyone has any can't miss excursion recommendations please let me know. We really want to do a good dog sledding one among others. We are in our 30's and able bodied. ;);)

If you are going to do dog sledding, you need to take the helicopter ride up to the glacier and do it on snow. We did it twice to two different camps out of Juneau. The "dog sled experiences" with carts on a dirt (read mud) trail is not the same.

Yes it is expensive, but for us its was totally worth the cost.