Dress code on Viking Ocean

khurley20

What Is The Dress Code?

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.

This is from the Viking website. Passengers should comply with the dress code or persuade Viking to change their policy.

What Is The Dress Code?

During the day, dress is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes World Café where the dress remains casual after 6:00 PM.

This is from the Viking website. Passengers should comply with the dress code or persuade Viking to change their policy.

And THIS is from our Viking Daily

755708cc2d87b614a2ec90b8fa790f92.jpg

Not 1 mention of jeans. Viking needs to be consistent with what they want passengers to comply. Apparently the dress code varies by ship. Quite frankly as long as people are neat, clean and presentable, I don’t care.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The website clearly states 'no jeans'. Do passengers need to receive this message on a daily basis and in every onboard communication?

The policy does not specifically mention baseball caps. Does that mean that they would be acceptable at the dinner table?

Those who want to wear jeans will find any excuse to do so and I sincerely hope that Viking will police THEIR policy.

First, a disclaimer. I would never wear “jeans” to the MDR. My husband never wears “jeans” except for yard work or hiking.

Second, a big +1 to Richard and Cyberkat. On the Viking Sea, we ate in the MDR only once - too slow and fussy for us. Didn’t see any “jeans” but it never occurred to me to look for them even after having read too many of these threads.

Third, Richard’s point is spot on. Is it the style or the fabric? Or is it the over-all look? What mental picture appears at the word “jeans”? And clearly there’s a cultural difference. Our European friends and those of you with many luxury cruises in your travel history seem to be the most miffed. I’m not approving “homeless chic” (who said that?) - I’m just suggesting we not be personally insulted.

Fourth, what I did see on the Viking Sea, in the Cafe, was a male passenger ( note I did not say “gentleman”) loudly berating a crew member who was not cleaning off a table fast enough. And I have read posts here by a couple of folks on one of the Med cruises saying unkind things about how another woman was dressed on that cruise - three or four exchanges. I find that much more offensive than “jeans” in the MDR.

And finally, as Viking is growing exponentially, they must get their act together not only on this relatively trivial issue but on other things that turn up from time to time. They badly need to get on the same page.

OK, rant over. Maybe.

Viking is consistently inconsistent

You said it!! Long past time to get their act together. You can't proclaim one policy while folks are packing and another once they board the ship; folks are going to wear what is their suitcase regardless of what it says in the dailies or at the door.

First, a disclaimer. I would never wear “jeans” to the MDR. My husband never wears “jeans” except for yard work or hiking.

Second, a big +1 to Richard and Cyberkat. On the Viking Sea, we ate in the MDR only once - too slow and fussy for us. Didn’t see any “jeans” but it never occurred to me to look for them even after having read too many of these threads.

Third, Richard’s point is spot on. Is it the style or the fabric? Or is it the over-all look? What mental picture appears at the word “jeans”? And clearly there’s a cultural difference. Our European friends and those of you with many luxury cruises in your travel history seem to be the most miffed. I’m not approving “homeless chic” (who said that?) - I’m just suggesting we not be personally insulted.

Fourth, what I did see on the Viking Sea, in the Cafe, was a male passenger ( note I did not say “gentleman”) loudly berating a crew member who was not cleaning off a table fast enough. And I have read posts here by a couple of folks on one of the Med cruises saying unkind things about how another woman was dressed on that cruise - three or four exchanges. I find that much more offensive than “jeans” in the MDR.

And finally, as Viking is growing exponentially, they must get their act together not only on this relatively trivial issue but on other things that turn up from time to time. They badly need to get on the same page.

OK, rant over. Maybe.

Good rant. No disclaimer needed.

Point four says it all, fine feathers do not a gentleman (or lady) make.

Sometimes dressing appropriately has something to do with the weather and how hot it is outside and how cool it is inside. We are taking a cruise later this year where for most of the cruise it will be in the 90s - if they can't keep it comfortable inside that may dictate what people wear to dinner. Since Viking Ocean has no history in SE Asia and the southern pacific - I ask those who have taken a Caribbean cruise with Viking and whether it was comfortable inside so that one could wear a light sweater, etc.?

The website clearly states 'no jeans'. Do passengers need to receive this message on a daily basis and in every onboard communication?

The policy does not specifically mention baseball caps. Does that mean that they would be acceptable at the dinner table?

Those who want to wear jeans will find any excuse to do so and I sincerely hope that Viking will police THEIR policy.

They are not “policing” anything. The bejeaned couple were allowed into Manfredi’s with nary a raised eyebrow.

Sometimes dressing appropriately has something to do with the weather and how hot it is outside and how cool it is inside. We are taking a cruise later this year where for most of the cruise it will be in the 90s - if they can't keep it comfortable inside that may dictate what people wear to dinner. Since Viking Ocean has no history in SE Asia and the southern pacific - I ask those who have taken a Caribbean cruise with Viking and whether it was comfortable inside so that one could wear a light sweater, etc.?

I was comfortable inside on our Caribbean cruise, but I never needed a sweater of any kind. I wore light weight short sleeve or 3/4 sleeve tops.

As I have said before, those who want to wear jeans will find any excuse to do so. The next thing I'll be told is that some people are illiterate.

Those on both sides of the argument should petition Viking. And, if the 'no jeans' policy is enforced, then passengers should either abide by it or find an alternative cruise line.

As I have said before, those who want to wear jeans will find any excuse to do so. The next thing I'll be told is that some people are illiterate.

Those on both sides of the argument should petition Viking. And, if the 'no jeans' policy is enforced, then passengers should either abide by it or find an alternative cruise line.

And since Viking seems to be slacking off on enforcing it - at least on some ships, perhaps those who would prefer not to see denim at dinner, find an alternate cruise line.

FYI personally, I’m not necessarily wanting to wear jeans - I find knit pants far more comfortable - nor am I looking for an excuse to do so. I just think this whole thing is a mountain made out of a mole hill, by a tiresome minority.

This isn’t Formal Night where everyone else is in a tux and ball gowns. Viking has built a reputation for being a more casual line. When people are seated at a table, you can’t see what they have on their bottom half. I’ve seen men wear a dress shirt and jeans with a sport coat (and look quite nice!) If they were seated at a table, one might think they were dressed quite splendidly.

In the overall scheme of things, I think there are a lot more important issues in this world to concern oneself about than the nature of a pant fabric - which is what all of these discussions boil down to. If people are clean, neat, and pleasant company, they are welcome at my table any time. I’m far more concerned with the flavor of the food and wine, than what other people are wearing.

And if a man’s wife is wearing capris, why can’t he wear jeans? And if a woman’s husband is wearing cargo pants (to which I’ve heard no objections), why can’t she wear jeans? Much ado about nothing and a tempest in a teapot, in my most humble opinion.

It's obvious that Americans have a different view of jeans from us Europeans. Each simply cannot see the other side's perspective. No point in keeping this argument going as there will never be agreement on the matter.

Of course, you're right. There are differences between Americans and Europeans and the standard of acceptable dress is one of them. Hopefully, cruise lines will be clear on their dress policy and will police it. If not, then perhaps the Maitre D' will use his discretion as to where guests are seated.

There are few contributors agreeing with me so perhaps I need to steer clear of both America and Viking. That, before many say it, will please the majority on this thread.

The dressing gong has sounded so I must change for dinner!

I've given the staff the evening off but we are, of course, changing for dinner. Standards must be maintained.

My dear husband has ordered a new dinner jacket but nearly fainted when the very new and inexperienced junior tailor's assistant referred to it as a 'tuxedo'. Oh dear.

I've given the staff the evening off but we are, of course, changing for dinner. Standards must be maintained.

My dear husband has ordered a new dinner jacket but nearly fainted when the very new and inexperienced junior tailor's assistant referred to it as a 'tuxedo'. Oh dear.

You always make me smile. Our cook has the evening off so we have had a few mishaps with the roast partridge.

Of course, you're right. There are differences between Americans and Europeans and the standard of acceptable dress is one of them. Hopefully, cruise lines will be clear on their dress policy and will police it. If not, then perhaps the Maitre D' will use his discretion as to where guests are seated.

There are few contributors agreeing with me so perhaps I need to steer clear of both America and Viking. That, before many say it, will please the majority on this thread.

The dressing gong has sounded so I must change for dinner!

Couldn't agree more. The Viking policy is clearly presented online and regardless of personal expectations, I would expect pax that sign up for a cruise to comply. In searching for a new cruise line, this is one area we always check.

For us, dinner is a cruise highlight and while we note Viking is more casual than some others, we are in complete agreement with their dress code. Can only hope others comply, or the staff manage issues effectively. Won't be an issue for me, since haven't owned or worn jeans in 40 years.

BTW - based on User ID, I assume you're from Kingdom of Fife. Lived just outside St Andrews before moving to Canada.

Couldn't agree more. The Viking policy is clearly presented online and regardless of personal expectations, I would expect pax that sign up for a cruise to comply. In searching for a new cruise line, this is one area we always check.

For us, dinner is a cruise highlight and while we note Viking is more casual than some others, we are in complete agreement with their dress code. Can only hope others comply, or the staff manage issues effectively. Won't be an issue for me, since haven't owned or worn jeans in 40 years.

BTW - based on User ID, I assume you're from Kingdom of Fife. Lived just outside St Andrews before moving to Canada.

Thanks for your support. The itinerary is number one for me closely followed by cruise ship dining. I would never go on a ship which had a completely casual dress code. I enjoy dressing for dinner and I like other passengers to do the same.

I live in St Andrews near the East Sands and with a stunning sea view. I love the East Neuk and all it has to offer. Canada beckons but it will be a land journey rather than on a cruise ship.

Thanks for your support. The itinerary is number one for me closely followed by cruise ship dining. I would never go on a ship which had a completely casual dress code. I enjoy dressing for dinner and I like other passengers to do the same.

I live in St Andrews near the East Sands and with a stunning sea view. I love the East Neuk and all it has to offer. Canada beckons but it will be a land journey rather than on a cruise ship.

Similar priorities as us. In retirement, I am enjoying a more casual lifestyle, but being properly attired for dinner is still important.

Walked the East Sands/Harbour many times last summer, when in St Andrews. Lived at Mount Melville before moving to Strathkinness. Will be back for a few weeks after our 2020 WC.