Dress code on Viking Ocean

khurley20

Exactly. Shower & change. If elegant casual isn't the rule, things can cascade downhill. Just don't upgrade to formal night BS.

I always shower & change. How long does that take? But it's nice to have a venue where clean but REALLY casual dress is no big deal. I would like the World Cafe to continue to have a more relaxed policy for those with laundry issues or simply wishing to dress casually for dinner. My wife who does like to dress up, still liked the WC a lot.

It is one thing to not agree with the dress code but having to remind people to shower! before going for dinner, is truly sad.

All cruise lines should post their dress code whatever it is, then enforce it.

Why? VO and VR are radically different products even if they share a lot of the same customers, so I still think you're confused when posting the VR dress policy on the VO forum.

Agreed.

Regulations do differ between River & Ocean.

Example:

Kids under 18 NOT allowed on Ocean. Written policy & the verbal policy when you call.*

Kids under 18 often allowed on River. Written policy & the verbal policy when you call.

* Except that I met 16 yr olds on Ocean. Viking is consistently inconsistent.

Philw: My T&C for 2018 says that "children (being those under the age of 18) must be accompanied . . . . . . . ." and later "We regret that we are unable to accommodate children under the age of 16 on ocean cruises or under the age of 12 on river cruises and reserve the right to limit the number of children on board any particular vessel." Seems that Viking is being consistent!

I am finding this thread very judgmental. Money, dress, jewelry does not make a person. If we all have "class" then judging ones attire is certainly not acceptable. I find it offensive to bring Americans vs Europeans into the topic. One is not superior over the other because of dress. This thread should be shut down.

I am finding this thread very judgmental. Money, dress, jewelry does not make a person. If we all have "class" then judging ones attire is certainly not acceptable. I find it offensive to bring Americans vs Europeans into the topic. One is not superior over the other because of dress. This thread should be shut down.

All that is necessary is to use the little exclamation point triangle on the right hand side to report a thread that has outlived its usefulness. The moderators will take it from there.

Edited by dln929
grammar

Just because you don't agree with what is being said is no reason to have the thread closed down. It is not about how good or kind an individual is. It is simply about their dress sense. That, in turn, is not about how expensive their clothes are but, rather, how appropriate they are dressed for the occasion. If someone comes into the MDR dressed in jeans, a baseball cap and flip flops then I will be judging their attire no matter what country they come from.

There are differences in how some Americans and some Europeans dress and hopefully we can discuss these differences without the matter being taken personally.

I must say that I don’t understand why people who are bored with a thread or don’t like it, so often feel the need to tell the rest of us to end the discussion.

It’s really very simple. If you aren’t interested in a thread for whatever reason, stop reading it. Don’t tell others to stop talking. SMH!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, isn't that a rather heavy handed approach to shut down a fairly popular thread.

If you personally don't agree with the discussions taking place wouldn't it be best to simply avoid this thread and not read any subsequent posts. I have actually enjoyed reading the diverse opinions provided in this thread and learning about possible inconsistencies with VO policies & procedures.

Sometimes dressing appropriately has something to do with the weather and how hot it is outside and how cool it is inside. We are taking a cruise later this year where for most of the cruise it will be in the 90s - if they can't keep it comfortable inside that may dictate what people wear to dinner. Since Viking Ocean has no history in SE Asia and the southern pacific - I ask those who have taken a Caribbean cruise with Viking and whether it was comfortable inside so that one could wear a light sweater, etc.?

On the Viking Sky in late January/early February, it was cool inside the ship. I’m always cold in air conditioning, and I needed a light sweater with me at all times if we were inside the ship. My mother, who is not cold-natured, was generally fine in slacks or capris and short- or 3/4 length sleeves, but occasionally would also need to throw on a lightweight cotton wrap.

• 2 weeks later...

I travel a lot - on both land and sea - and I eat out a lot. Never cruised on Viking. Having a look at threads in this section to try to work out if it seems like a good fit for me. My previous cruises have been with Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, Regent and Oceania. It seems the numerous dress code threads are pretty much the same old squabbling on every line.

I live in Fife - the East Neuk too - and in the south of France for part of the year. I am as Scottish as anyone here. But please don't wrap me in any flag and claim this is a UK versus USA issue. It is not. If you check the cruisecritic dress code threads on the majority of cruise lines, as I have done, (hours of eyebrow-raising laughter) it is most definitely not the case. The opinions the threads present just do not back this up. I am not arguing the rights and wrongs of any dress code on any line. Just that this is absolutely not a nationalist issue.

Of course Viking can decide as they choose what their dress code will be. Personally, I couldn't give a stuff if you wear jeans to a restaurant or not. Go to high-end restaurants in any UK city, let alone in Europe or Australia, and you'll see people dressed in jeans as well as those dressed in whatever is passing for the ill-defined "smart casual" that evening. My own extensive experience of travelling in the USA is that the large coastal cities are similarly open to the wearing of jeans, but in more central states, apart from the largest cities, most people do dress less casually when dining upscale, exactly the same as they do in more provincial towns in the UK and much of Europe. Why? Despite being a psychologist, I'll leave others to speculate (it is late here and the subject of social conformity/non-conformity is huge) but I know there are many factors at play, certainly not one over-riding reason. Absolutely never a nationalist one. Nothing supports that. The factors criss-cross borders/generations/social groups everywhere.

Let's not forget that some people look fabulous in their attire even if it's casual jeans while others look ill-kempt even in a formal outfit. Dressing well is, in the main, a matter of personal style and bearing and/or the quality of cut and fit of the clothes themselves. Dress codes for dining play no part in that. They are about other "social" factors.

To me, what constitutes good dining neighbourliness is not being loud, boorish and overbearing at the table, or having any personal hygiene issues :) I only wish cruise lines, restaurants and hotels would veto behaviour like that rather than fussing about jeans, but I am not holding my breath.

I travel a lot - on both land and sea - and I eat out a lot. Never cruised on Viking. Having a look at threads in this section to try to work out if it seems like a good fit for me. My previous cruises have been with Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal, Regent and Oceania. It seems the numerous dress code threads are pretty much the same old squabbling on every line.

I live in Fife - the East Neuk too - and in the south of France for part of the year. I am as Scottish as anyone here. But please don't wrap me in any flag and claim this is a UK versus USA issue. It is not. If you check the cruisecritic dress code threads on the majority of cruise lines, as I have done, (hours of eyebrow-raising laughter) it is most definitely not the case. The opinions the threads present just do not back this up. I am not arguing the rights and wrongs of any dress code on any line. Just that this is absolutely not a nationalist issue.

Of course Viking can decide as they choose what their dress code will be. Personally, I couldn't give a stuff if you wear jeans to a restaurant or not. Go to high-end restaurants in any UK city, let alone in Europe or Australia, and you'll see people dressed in jeans as well as those dressed in whatever is passing for the ill-defined "smart casual" that evening. My own extensive experience of travelling in the USA is that the large coastal cities are similarly open to the wearing of jeans, but in more central states, apart from the largest cities, most people do dress less casually when dining upscale, exactly the same as they do in more provincial towns in the UK and much of Europe. Why? Despite being a psychologist, I'll leave others to speculate (it is late here and the subject of social conformity/non-conformity is huge) but I know there are many factors at play, certainly not one over-riding reason. Absolutely never a nationalist one. Nothing supports that. The factors criss-cross borders/generations/social groups everywhere.

Let's not forget that some people look fabulous in their attire even if it's casual jeans while others look ill-kempt even in a formal outfit. Dressing well is, in the main, a matter of personal style and bearing and/or the quality of cut and fit of the clothes themselves. Dress codes for dining play no part in that. They are about other "social" factors.

To me, what constitutes good dining neighbourliness is not being loud, boorish and overbearing at the table, or having any personal hygiene issues :) I only wish cruise lines, restaurants and hotels would veto behaviour like that rather than fussing about jeans, but I am not holding my breath.

Auldlassie well said, I hope more people bother to read your post they may learn something. I was trying to read it hearing a Scots accent, so much better

My own extensive experience of travelling in the USA is that the large coastal cities are similarly open to the wearing of jeans, but in more central states, apart from the largest cities, most people do dress less casually when dining upscale, exactly the same as they do in more provincial towns in the UK and much of Europe.

[Rest of very sane and thoughtful post deleted.]

Now this is a topic I find interesting. Too bad we don’t have a “fun stuff to talk about that doesn’t have anything to do with cruising” forum. :) Since we don’t, I will say here that my wardrobe-while-dining-out-in-the-US experiences are pretty much the opposite of yours. I’ve lived in the South, the Northeast, and the northern Midwest, and the Midwest is by far the most casual. There’s a very unfussy vibe up here and a strong undercurrent of not wanting to be told what to do (or what to wear). That extends to fashion trends.

I tend to dress up more when visiting friends in the urban East. (Less so in the rural areas—people seem to dress up more in cities.) Dressing up in these situations can indeed include “dress” or high-end jeans, depending on the venue. (In the Midwest, the jeans don’t even have to be dressy.)

But by far the most formally and traditionally dressed area I’ve seen in this country is the Southeast. Things have loosened up a bit since I lived there long ago, but from what I’ve seen when visiting family, they still like to dress up down there.

Yes, all generalizations, etc. The US is made up of a number of different regions (well beyond the overly simplistic coasts-vs-flyover country), each with its own flavor and diversities. It’s a mistake to completely stereotype them as I’m probably doing, but there you go. Anyway, it’s interesting.

Let's not forget that some people look fabulous in their attire even if it's casual jeans while others look ill-kempt even in a formal outfit.

Oh dear. You’ve just described my husband and me, in precisely that order! He looks effortlessly great in everything. It’s most frustrating. [emoji12]

• Like 1