Crown Princess Drags Anchor in Kotor

Tedferg

Great info. A few questions:

Does the hotel have an elevator? It's not mentioned on their website?

Which of the Roman Guy's tours of the Vatican did you do and how did you get to the meeting point?

Thanks so much.

Damaso was totally renewed 18 months ago and does have an elevator, bar and excellent breakfast included.

We took the 8:30 Express Vatican Tour with Skip the Line Tickets. Information from Roman Guy is excellent, including a photo and address of meeting point.

There is a Taxi Rank across the street from Damaso, we showed info to Taxi Driver ~ E8 for four of us. Ten Minute ride. We walked back stopping briefly at Castel Sant Angelo and street café for lunch.

We were on the Crown in March - last cruise before their 2 week dry dock. Does anyone know what changes they made? Any pictures?

I don't have a lot of information. Hallways and stairways were re-carpeted and colored dots show Port and Starboard. New beds completed. Salty Dog is in Wheelhouse bar and I think this was added in Dry Dock.

Someone posted Dry Dock pictures and there was a major re-do of Atrium shops.

All in All Crown is in great shape and we enjoyed the cruise.

Pub Lunch in Wheelhouse both sea days.

Damaso was totally renewed 18 months ago and does have an elevator, bar and excellent breakfast included.

We took the 8:30 Express Vatican Tour with Skip the Line Tickets. Information from Roman Guy is excellent, including a photo and address of meeting point.

There is a Taxi Rank across the street from Damaso, we showed info to Taxi Driver ~ E8 for four of us. Ten Minute ride. We walked back stopping briefly at Castel Sant Angelo and street café for lunch.

Thanks --adding it to my notes.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a video of how close they got to shore. Note that the person who posted it mentions that the ship was drug across the bay about 1km.

We were on deck 16 in gym when alarms sounded and when we looked over the ship we were much closer than the video shows!! I had taken photos before 6am with ship anchored in the middle of the bay. Water was lapping on the shoreline and the people on the shore must have been as horrified as us! This video link above shows when the side thrusters were operating to move away from the shallows. An absolute miracle no water ingress! We attended the Captain’s interview in the theatre on 05-05-18. He would make a good politician evading the questions and the truth. Princess cover up. Some serious mistakes were made risking passenger safety. It was not exciting as he described some passengers had described it. It was terrifying. Question whether the Crown Princess should have been in Kotor when a 1.5 hr wait for tugs as he explained?

He would make a good politician evading the questions and the truth. Princess cover up. Some serious mistakes were made risking passenger safety. It was not exciting as he described some passengers had described it. It was terrifying. Question whether the Crown Princess should have been in Kotor when a 1.5 hr wait for tugs as he explained?

Evading the truth? Cover up? Why would you make such a statement? On what are you basing such a derogatory statement? What does the length of time the Crown had to wait for tugs have anything to do with high winds and whether or not the ship should have entered the port? I'll be the first to admit that I was not on the ship, haven't heard the comments that the captain made in his presentation and don't know a thing about this port, but it seems, perhaps erroneously, perhaps not, that you have not presented any credible support for your charges of the captain's alleged "evading the questions and the truth."

I may have the wrong opinion about what you've said here, but would like to hear some facts to back up your charges. One person's opinion of your statement.

Tom

We missed our stop in Kotor on the Pacific last November due to high winds. Now I see why that was a good call! We stayed in Dubrovnik an extra night, and the ship offered a bus tour over the border into Kotor, which we took. So even though we missed the scenic sail in, we did get to see the scenery from the shore side, with no danger of the ship being blown into the shoreline! Kotor is a lovely little town and we thoroughly enjoyed our day. And crossing through border patrol between Croatia and Montenegro was interesting, to say the least.

We were in Kotor in May 2017 on the Royal. It's not a very wide bay at the anchor point, less than 2000 feet is my guess. The Royal did a 360 on thrusters before sailout and I thought that was a fairly impressive piece of sailing in itself. Hate to be caught in this tiny bay with major wind but we had none. We also had a great excursion to a small village in the hills where we were plied with food, music, wine and a deadly but good sort of local firewater.

We were on deck 16 in gym when alarms sounded and when we looked over the ship we were much closer than the video shows!! I had taken photos before 6am with ship anchored in the middle of the bay. Water was lapping on the shoreline and the people on the shore must have been as horrified as us! This video link above shows when the side thrusters were operating to move away from the shallows. An absolute miracle no water ingress! We attended the Captain’s interview in the theatre on 05-05-18. He would make a good politician evading the questions and the truth. Princess cover up. Some serious mistakes were made risking passenger safety. It was not exciting as he described some passengers had described it. It was terrifying. Question whether the Crown Princess should have been in Kotor when a 1.5 hr wait for tugs as he explained?

We were on the ship also. It was very, very scary. We were in the Princess Theater and I went out to go to the bathroom- noticed the shore was right there and got my sister. We went back to the cabin. We are seasoned cruiser and we got our to go bag ready. We were on the starboard side of the ship. We were only 50 ft from shore and knew this was NOT good. During that 1.5 hours it was a very stressful time- and we just kept looking at the fear in the people on the shoreline that was like oh no the ship is coming onto our houses. The crew was crying when we left the theater. The staff in the theater were given life jackets. There was NOT a single announcement from that staff. The dining room staff was trying to act like that was nothing at all. They were TOLD not to mention it. We had images of ourselves having to fly from Dubrovnik. The list of the ship was very bad also.

Princess really dropped the ball on this one. It was a very scary situation and they decided to sweep it under the carpet. There was no compensation. The captain was removed after this sailing. I am sure that Princess- Los Angles got a phone call in the middle of the night.

Any other cruise line would have at least given out free drinks that evening. The rest of the cruise was not the best. This just put a very soar tone on Princess.

An absolute miracle no water ingress! We attended the Captain’s interview in the theatre on 05-05-18. He would make a good politician evading the questions and the truth. Princess cover up. Some serious mistakes were made risking passenger safety. It was not exciting as he described some passengers had described it. It was terrifying. Question whether the Crown Princess should have been in Kotor when a 1.5 hr wait for tugs as he explained?

The list of the ship was very bad also.

Princess really dropped the ball on this one. It was a very scary situation and they decided to sweep it under the carpet. There was no compensation. The captain was removed after this sailing. I am sure that Princess- Los Angles got a phone call in the middle of the night.

Any other cruise line would have at least given out free drinks that evening. The rest of the cruise was not the best. This just put a very soar tone on Princess.

I will not lessen your fear or anxiety in being on the ship, nor can I say definitively what happened, since I was not there. But there are a few statements that need support in these two posts.

"Absolute miracle no water ingress". Without going to find a chart of Kotor bay, do you know what the underwater topography is, to know whether or not the ship risked grounding on rock or sand/mud? Ships ground on sand/mud bottoms, and even ones with large rocks commonly without any breach of the hull's integrity.

Please advise what "truth" the Captain evaded. Did he deny proven fact or your perception of the facts.

"Some serious mistakes were made risking passenger safety". Please elaborate on these mistakes.

"The list of the ship was bad". Can you give an example? I know laymen don't accurately measure a ship's angle of heel, but giving examples like "couldn't stand up", "glasses and dishes falling everywhere" might give an idea of the list. And, this was "wind induced heel", where the wind striking the side of the ship tends to push it over. Happens all the time on cruise ships even in the middle of the ocean.

"The Captain was removed after this sailing". Is this a proven fact, or just because a different Captain came on, perhaps on his normal rotation, did you think he was removed.

As for "Princess Los Angeles got a phone call in the middle of the night", that is statutory under the ISM code for the Captain to notify the DPA (Designated Person Ashore) whenever there is an incident, whether the Captain was at fault or not.

Was there a problem? Certainly. Was the ship in harm's way? Yes. Was there a risk of the ship sinking? Probably not, given the proximity to shore. Was this likely caused by the katabatic winds that this area is known for to spring up without warning and blow itself out in an hour or so? That's my bet. Are there a whole lot of assumptions being made on this thread by folks who know virtually nothing about ship operations, Princess' policies and procedures, or what actually happened on the bridge and engine room of the ship. I don't comment on compensation issues, since that is a guest relations problem, and not my area of expertise. What I will comment on, is that before aspersions are cast at Princess and the Captain, you wait until the facts are known.

I will not lessen your fear or anxiety in being on the ship, nor can I say definitively what happened, since I was not there. But there are a few statements that need support in these two posts.

"Absolute miracle no water ingress". Without going to find a chart of Kotor bay, do you know what the underwater topography is, to know whether or not the ship risked grounding on rock or sand/mud? Ships ground on sand/mud bottoms, and even ones with large rocks commonly without any breach of the hull's integrity.

Please advise what "truth" the Captain evaded. Did he deny proven fact or your perception of the facts.

"Some serious mistakes were made risking passenger safety". Please elaborate on these mistakes.

"The list of the ship was bad". Can you give an example? I know laymen don't accurately measure a ship's angle of heel, but giving examples like "couldn't stand up", "glasses and dishes falling everywhere" might give an idea of the list. And, this was "wind induced heel", where the wind striking the side of the ship tends to push it over. Happens all the time on cruise ships even in the middle of the ocean.

"The Captain was removed after this sailing". Is this a proven fact, or just because a different Captain came on, perhaps on his normal rotation, did you think he was removed.

As for "Princess Los Angeles got a phone call in the middle of the night", that is statutory under the ISM code for the Captain to notify the DPA (Designated Person Ashore) whenever there is an incident, whether the Captain was at fault or not.

Was there a problem? Certainly. Was the ship in harm's way? Yes. Was there a risk of the ship sinking? Probably not, given the proximity to shore. Was this likely caused by the katabatic winds that this area is known for to spring up without warning and blow itself out in an hour or so? That's my bet. Are there a whole lot of assumptions being made on this thread by folks who know virtually nothing about ship operations, Princess' policies and procedures, or what actually happened on the bridge and engine room of the ship. I don't comment on compensation issues, since that is a guest relations problem, and not my area of expertise. What I will comment on, is that before aspersions are cast at Princess and the Captain, you wait until the facts are known.

There you go, wanting actual facts. How silly. :eek:

Good points.

Tom

Yes agree completely. As for the comment about free drinks, why. Most of the passengers would have been ashore wouldn't they and not had a clue this happened until they returned? Yet another expectation of freebies for no good reason. I would have thought that this happens from time to time and the post at #38 above seems overly dramatic and loose on facts. It appears the lack of free drinks might have clouded the perception of what happened.

We were in Kotor in May 2017 on the Royal. It's not a very wide bay at the anchor point, less than 2000 feet is my guess. The Royal did a 360 on thrusters before sailout and I thought that was a fairly impressive piece of sailing in itself. Hate to be caught in this tiny bay with major wind but we had none. We also had a great excursion to a small village in the hills where we were plied with food, music, wine and a deadly but good sort of local firewater.

We stopped at Kotor twice on our Royal Med cruise last September. The first time we were anchored very close to the wharf, and also quite close to the shore on one side. No problems and we did the 180 on thrusters before leaving the port.

On the second visit the ship anchored further down the bay as they were expecting strong winds in the afternoon.

Kotor is gorgeous and the sailaway down the fjord, through the narrow channel and across the Bay of Kotor was spectacular both times.

I was on this boat. AT THE TIME!

Firstly, yes it was an emergency situation.

Secondly, everyone was well cared for and kept fully informed of the situation in several languages.

Thirdly, compensation? Really? Those who should be compensated are on land with water from OUR boat flooding their yards.

I can’t believe the attitudes of some on here. Yes, I attended the captains meeting and I actually listened to what he said. He was not obligated to hold that meeting and he certainly answered everyone’s questions.

And for the record, it was just after 8 in the morning. Free drinks? Really?

Yes agree completely. As for the comment about free drinks, why. Most of the passengers would have been ashore wouldn't they and not had a clue this happened until they returned? Yet another expectation of freebies for no good reason. I would have thought that this happens from time to time and the post at #38 above seems overly dramatic and loose on facts. It appears the lack of free drinks might have clouded the perception of what happened.

My husband and I were on this sailing. We went up to Skywalkers, on deck 18, to take pictures. The ship was on a bit of a slant. The captain gave numerous updates as stated by another poster. All passengers were told to return to their cabins, so we took the stairs down to our 10th deck cabin. The captain did a wonderful job keeping everyone informed, and not for one moment were we fearful. Kudos to the captain for a job well done, and thank God no damage was done to this wonderful ship.