Carnival Reflection

A couple of weeks ago, there was a post on here about the Carnival Reflection. The Vista has a dining room named the Horizon’s dining room. The Horizon has a dining room named the Reflection dining room. I’m not sure if any one else thought of that, but it seems like fate to me! The Fantasy class did something similar in the 90’s.

The Vista has both the Horizon and Reflection dining rooms and I believe Horizon does too. I had a feeling they would name one of them Reflection as Celebrity already has one and cruise lines tend to use the same names as their competition. But since the next one is Panorama, I thought Reflection would have been third in line.

The Vista has both the Horizon and Reflection dining rooms and I believe Horizon does too. I had a feeling they would name one of them Reflection as Celebrity already has one and cruise lines tend to use the same names as their competition. But since the next one is Panorama, I thought Reflection would have been third in line.

Possibly since they had the new class of ships ordered before they decided Carnival was getting Panorama instead of P&O Australia? I have no idea how far ahead they plan things like that or how difficult it would be to change the plans. I would be fascinated to see the behind the scenes planning process for a new ship.

The other dining room is named Meridian in the Horizon.

The other dining room is named Meridian in the Horizon.

Interesting. I thought I saw someone post somewhere that it was Reflection and Horizon because I thought it was strange that they would repeat the same names as Vista. Still a little odd that they reused Reflection.

Interesting. I thought I saw someone post somewhere that it was Reflection and Horizon because I thought it was strange that they would repeat the same names as Vista. Still a little odd that they reused Reflection.

Maybe two Reflection-Class ships? I am kind of playing detective, though.

Somebody has a model of Carnival Reflection:

The ship looks very odd to me. The front end looks like combo between MSC and Princess. The wrap around Lanai looks like NCL, and the back looks like they went for Oasis-class looks (the rounding) without the cut outs.

The ship looks very odd to me. The front end looks like combo between MSC and Princess. The wrap around Lanai looks like NCL, and the back looks like they went for Oasis-class looks (the rounding) without the cut outs.

Obviosusly Carnival has been on the wrap around Lanai train for quite some time starting with Carnival Dream. There’s really not much new about the aft - even the Holiday and Fantasy classes mimic that shape, it’s just not as pronounced because there aren’t as many decks above the square-ish part of the stern.

Carnival’s Joe Farcus had split aft designs in the 1980s; obviously Carnival hasn’t opened up the aft like Royal Caribbean did (even the never-built Pinnacle Project ships would have had a stern atrium that would have made it look somewhat like MSC Seaside), but in some ways this is a case of everything-old-is-new-again. There’s actually quite a bit in common with the Spirit class, including the smaller stacks behind the funnel, the sections of staterooms that bow out on each side, and even the Spirit class had a wrap-around promenade (albeit basically not utilized). Ironically, Spirit class ships are among the few in the #carnivalfamily where the aft bows out, not inward.

There were some recently released renderings of the Costa Smeralda, which is a member of this class, and it actually has some unique touches on the aft.

Obviosusly Carnival has been on the wrap around Lanai train for quite some time starting with Carnival Dream. There’s really not much new about the aft - even the Holiday and Fantasy classes mimic that shape, it’s just not as pronounced because there aren’t as many decks above the square-ish part of the stern.

Carnival’s Joe Farcus had split aft designs in the 1980s; obviously Carnival hasn’t opened up the aft like Royal Caribbean did (even the never-built Pinnacle Project ships would have had a stern atrium that would have made it look somewhat like MSC Seaside), but in some ways this is a case of everything-old-is-new-again. There’s actually quite a bit in common with the Spirit class, including the smaller stacks behind the funnel, the sections of staterooms that bow out on each side, and even the Spirit class had a wrap-around promenade (albeit basically not utilized). Ironically, Spirit class ships are among the few in the #carnivalfamily where the aft bows out, not inward.

There were some recently released renderings of the Costa Smeralda, which is a member of this class, and it actually has some unique touches on the aft.

I hope that they don't stick to that design of the bow! It just seems so odd to me, although it does make sense why they did it. I like ships to actually look like ships...

I hope that they don't stick to that design of the bow! It just seems so odd to me, although it does make sense why they did it. I like ships to actually look like ships...

They're more stable in rough seas. Look for it to be the new normal. Everybody is going to that. You can look to the USS Zumwalt for the extreme progression of that form. It's actually nothing new. Civil war ironclads did it 150 years ago.

The first #ProjectXL Ship is due to Carnival in August 2020, the second ship is due in October 2022:

http://www.greencruiseport.eu/files/public/download/events/bergen/9_Shipowner%20expectation_Sibrand%20Hassing_Holland%20America%20Group.pdf

This may make for a short season in the Mediterranean, or perhaps none at all. Remember that AIDA and Costa will have taken delivery of their XL ships in 2018 and 2019.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

The first #ProjectXL Ship is due to Carnival in August 2020, the second ship is due in October 2022:

http://www.greencruiseport.eu/files/public/download/events/bergen/9_Shipowner%20expectation_Sibrand%20Hassing_Holland%20America%20Group.pdf

If the Carnival XL ship looks anything like the image in the slide towards the end (pg 16), that has the makings of being an ugly ship.

They're more stable in rough seas. Look for it to be the new normal. Everybody is going to that. You can look to the USS Zumwalt for the extreme progression of that form. It's actually nothing new. Civil war ironclads did it 150 years ago.

Ahhhh, that first cruise on the Monitor was so memorable

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

P&O (UK) announced the name of its ship in this class, Iona, today:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8659

This might be fairly close to what Reflection looks like. The only exception might be the addition of a Havana area on the duck tail, although I’m not sure how big of a pool could be placed over the room at the stern.

P&O (UK) announced the name of its ship in this class, Iona, today:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8659

This might be fairly close to what Reflection looks like. The only exception might be the addition of a Havana area on the duck tail, although I’m not sure how big of a pool could be placed over the room at the stern.

I have been excited with what has been released about all three new ships in the class coming out (AidaNova, Costa Smeralda, and Iona). Can't wait to see what Carnival does with the spaces. It's been such a long time for since they have did anything other than enlarge the Destiny class.