Why aren’t there escalators on ships?

miched

This thread reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg quote:

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." Mitch Hedberg

If they were to break down, then so many people would be stuck on them it would take hours to rescue everyone. People would be calling for help for so long. :evilsmile:

That very thing happened at a shopping mall in the United States. Fire fighters were called to the rescue since an elderly person was trapped on the escalator that had stopped. The fire fighters gathered around and called for some machinery to reach up to the elderly person and hoist her away.

A police officer arrived and walked up the escalator, took the elderly lady by the arm and walked her down, to the amazement of the fire fighters.

Police officers were invented so fire fighters can have heroes, too. :cool:

That very thing happened at a shopping mall in the United States. Fire fighters were called to the rescue since an elderly person was trapped on the escalator that had stopped. The fire fighters gathered around and called for some machinery to reach up to the elderly person and hoist her away.

A police officer arrived and walked up the escalator, took the elderly lady by the arm and walked her down, to the amazement of the fire fighters.

Police officers were invented so fire fighters can have heroes, too. :cool:

Meanwhile local fires and robberies went unattended.....

Makes you wonder what the Mall management team were doing calling the emergency services

As mentioned all of Royal Caribbean's Oasis class ships have escalators between Decks 2 and 3. They are only used to access the gangway while the ship is docked. In the morning the escalators run down from Deck 3 to the gangway on Deck 2, and in the afternoon the escalators are reversed as guests begin to return to the ship.

The escalators are not very efficient because there is always a backup at security (at the bottom of the escalator) when people are getting off of the ship, so there is a crew member at the top of the escalator holding people until the backup is cleared. The escalators really don't seem to be very useful and wheelchairs/scooters still need to take the elevator to Deck 2 anyway to bypass the escalator.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51919954&postcount=30

(Scroll down for photo - this post refers to Decks 1 and 2 but it is actually 2 and 3).

With the ships always trying to out do each other with new features and novel ideas why not have a few escalators?

I would think that it would eliminate some of the elevator congestion and help get passengers to trivia and bingo faster, 🙄 or the buffet. 🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

NCL EPIC has escalotors!

This thread reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg quote:

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." Mitch Hedberg

Agree!

With the ships always trying to out do each other with new features and novel ideas why not have a few escalators?

I would think that it would eliminate some of the elevator congestion and help get passengers to trivia and bingo faster, or the buffet.

Happy cruising

There are escalators, but they are in the galley (Carnival Conquest class ships)

there are plenty of people on dry land who struggle with escalators, either trying to carry too much stuff in their hands so they aren't holding on properly or pushing strollers to 'balance' them on steps, or people with canes and walkers who can't always step on/step off easily.

I shudder to think how they would manage on a moving cruise ship.

bingo!

Yes....and it was out of service the whole 7 days that we were on.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, that happens everywhere whether you are in a mall or an office building. Thankfully there are stairs and elevators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk