Travel insurance & non refundable deposits

I'd be interested in seeing this answer in writing somewhere.

I can only speculate that IF you are canceling for a covered reason, then Yes, all non refundable costs would be reimbursed as long as those cost were included in the requested coverage amount.

I've been trying to learn the nuances of travel insurance for the past couple of years and I don't see this particular question answered in the FAQ section at http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

You do realize that you must have already bought the insurance for anything to be covered. You might get the $100 back but will still have to pay for the insurance. And if you are buying insurance through the cruise company many folks don't actually get it until final payment.

You do realize that you must have already bought the insurance for anything to be covered. You might get the $100 back but will still have to pay for the insurance. And if you are buying insurance through the cruise company many folks don't actually get it until final payment.

True and the cost of the insurance will be about the same as the NRD.

Since the non refundable deposit is a portion of the cost of the cruise, i.e. it's part of the total, then it is reasonable to expect that it'll be covered for a covered reason.

Yes and No

You can buy from 3rd party and only pay for the insurance on an As you Go basis.

pay deposit,, call insurance company and buy insurance for your trip but only pay insurance on the amount paid out of pocket so far.

Deposit $500 Buy insurance to cover the $500 what? maybe $20

(Now, why would you do this you ask? To get in on the pre-existing condition waiver or CFAR)

Then as you buy air,,, call the insurance company, tell them how much you paid for air, pay the increase in the insurance.

Then as you add other non refundable costs, continue this process until everything is paid for and all non refundable costs are covered.

Note: Just don't forget to pay the insurance company and claim ALL nonrefundable expenses. Otherwise you will null and void the policy if you got the PEC rider. Insurance companies require that you cover the entire trip to include PEC coverage.

Yes and No

You can buy from 3rd party and only pay for the insurance on an As you Go basis.

pay deposit,, call insurance company and buy insurance for your trip but only pay insurance on the amount paid out of pocket so far.

Deposit $500 Buy insurance to cover the $500 what? maybe $20

(Now, why would you do this you ask? To get in on the pre-existing condition waiver or CFAR)

Then as you buy air,,, call the insurance company, tell them how much you paid for air, pay the increase in the insurance.

Then as you add other non refundable costs, continue this process until everything is paid for and all non refundable costs are covered.

Note: Just don't forget to pay the insurance company and claim ALL nonrefundable expenses. Otherwise you will null and void the policy if you got the PEC rider. Insurance companies require that you cover the entire trip to include PEC coverage.

If you do this and you cancel or switch ships for a covered expense wouldn't you only be reimbursed $200 by the insurance company if you did this before the final payment date?

Bill

If you do this and you cancel or switch ships for a covered expense wouldn't you only be reimbursed $200 by the insurance company if you did this before the final payment date?

Bill

Yes.

But the point is, if you are worried about the NRD, you can buy insurance to JUST cover that amount, for a very small fee.

But doubt it will be for as little as $20 as posted.

I just did a 1 week driving trip in Europe. I wanted some additional coverage on the rental car, and more med evac coverage that is provided by my health plan. I insured my trip for $0 cost. So no coverage for change in plans, etc. I purchased this the day before I traveled.

It was $50 for the a bit over a week, with no coverage for any trip costs.

Does anyone have any information whether travel insurance will cover the $100 per person fee that you lose if you change or cancel your reservation?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do know that it is not covered under my credit card's travel insurance policy.

We just had to cancel our cruise the day before we were supposed to board, because a medical emergency. We got port fees, taxes and gratuities back from RCCL and we were reimbursed for every penny from the insurance company, minus the cost of the insurance. We also have a code from the onboard credit that carries over to our next booking all we have to do is book and we get our on board credit which was $500.00. Of course I would have rather gone on the cruise but we have to take care of ourselves first. It still cost us some money because we had airfare to and from Miami and three days in a hotel, plus the taxi rides back and forth to the hospital for those days, All and all I would say RCCL treated us very well.