Questions about dining and dress code

Mom2B&Z

I will never understand why wear a pants for dinner is so hard for Americans .:confused::confused:

We are Canadian :)

I think this topic has been adequately discussed, thank you for all of the perspectives that have been brought forward.

I wish CC had a way of turning off comments, perhaps this is something the moderators can consider in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is the "set" dress code for the 7night Seaside for this spring / summer sailings? We sail May 19th. Is it: 2 formal nights, are there "Gala nights" additionally, and are there also theme nights for the MDR? Confused also as I read these threads. fflashh.:confused:

What is the "set" dress code for the 7night Seaside for this spring / summer sailings? We sail May 19th. Is it: 2 formal nights, are there "Gala nights" additionally, and are there also theme nights for the MDR? Confused also as I read these threads. fflashh.:confused:

The formal or elegant nights are the gala nights. Formal is apparently not strictly enforced. Semi-formal is likely more than enough.

There are theme nights (white, 20’s, Pirates, 70’s) but although some people do dress up accordingly, it’s mostly for the night entertainment and parties.

Mom2B&Z ... I wish CC had a way of turning off comments, perhaps this is something the moderators can consider in the future.

Why would you want to stifle the debate ?

Mom2B&Z ... I wish CC had a way of turning off comments, perhaps this is something the moderators can consider in the future.

Why would you want to stifle the debate ?

I am not interested in a debate or opinions, I am interested in facts. The facts have been provided, and I do not wish to partake in the banter that goes back and forth every time this topic is brought up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not interested in a debate or opinions, I am interested in facts. The facts have been provided, and I do not wish to partake in the banter that goes back and forth every time this topic is brought up.

Then why continue to visit, read, and respond? Nobody is forced to partake in anything. That is a choice.

I am not interested in a debate or opinions, I am interested in facts.

The facts are clearly outlined on the MSC website (My Booking -> General Information -> What to wear onboard)

for Gala Evenings and Informal Evenings.

Once you start a thread with this topic you basically ask for opinions of passengers which can lead to a debate.

I will never understand why wear a pants for dinner is so hard for Americans .:confused::confused:

We’ll never understand why anyone cares about how someone else is dressed.

Saw this same debate on RCCL, CCL, NCL etc a few years ago. Society changes. I guess if we didn’t change, they we’d all be wearing crushed velvet tuxes with ruffled shirts like they did in the ‘60s if you really want to push societal norms.

I know, especially taking luggage overseas during my Mediterannean Cruise, there was NO WAY I was packing a suit or a tux or a sport coat. I was gladly seated in the Yacht Club every night (by Giuseppe), always with a smile and a warm greeting for dinner.

I have no problem with those who dress in a Tux or suit or gown, That’s your prerogative. But, trying to dictate I should do the same because you do? Not going to happen.

We’ll never understand why anyone cares about how someone else is dressed.

Saw this same debate on RCCL, CCL, NCL etc a few years ago. Society changes. I guess if we didn’t change, they we’d all be wearing crushed velvet tuxes with ruffled shirts like they did in the ‘60s if you really want to push societal norms.

I know, especially taking luggage overseas during my Mediterannean Cruise, there was NO WAY I was packing a suit or a tux or a sport coat. I was gladly seated in the Yacht Club every night (by Giuseppe), always with a smile and a warm greeting for dinner.

I have no problem with those who dress in a Tux or suit or gown, That’s your prerogative. But, trying to dictate I should do the same because you do? Not going to happen.

I don't know about your society but in mine- long pants is proper attire to DR,church ,funeral ,wedding etc. and I hope it stays this way.

I don't know about your society but in mine- long pants is proper attire to DR,church ,funeral ,wedding etc. and I hope it stays this way.

So, you’re equating a cruise to church, funeral, wedding, etc?

You’re right. My “society” doesn’t equate a cruise to any of those. Hope it stays that way!

So, you’re equating a cruise to church, funeral, wedding, etc?

You’re right. My “society” doesn’t equate a cruise to any of those. Hope it stays that way!

HMMMM...It's called "decorum" which is a very nice way of showing your "manners" (or lack thereof) in the MDR...especially at dinner. A lack of decorum can lead to such habits as attempting to dine while wearing baseball caps, gym shorts, tattered Tshirts and flip flops. I have no problem with pax who are neat and clean and make an attempt to look good at dinner...even in the YC. But I draw the line at shorts and Tshirts, which to me, suggests a totally self-centered approach without regard for fellow pax or the dedicated staff who serve them.

HMMMM...It's called "decorum" which is a very nice way of showing your "manners" (or lack thereof) in the MDR...especially at dinner. A lack of decorum can lead to such habits as attempting to dine while wearing baseball caps, gym shorts, tattered Tshirts and flip flops. I have no problem with pax who are neat and clean and make an attempt to look good at dinner...even in the YC. But I draw the line at shorts and Tshirts, which to me, suggests a totally self-centered approach without regard for fellow pax or the dedicated staff who serve them.

Well said (y)

Showing RESPECT to fellow passengers is very important to me.

I show respect and I expect to be respected. Wearing baseball caps,

gym shorts or flip-flops in the MDR is just extreme disrespectful in my opinion.

It's like showing off the "I don't give a damn about dress code etiquette" mentality.

The more I read about this topic the more I think the passengers wearing according

to the dress code are singled out. That is not right and I will continue wearing formal

on Gala Nights. Honestly I really enjoy it :)

Once you allow a drop in standards they fall further, on our recent Seaside cruise we saw two people In the Buffet eating while wearing Bath Robes!

What next underwear ?

Just because NCL allow shorts in the dining room does not mean MSC have to allow it, as I have said before they should turn people away and send them to the Buffet.

If it says no shorts or swimwear on the paperwork then that is what it should be, otherwise take it off the paperwork and let people wear what they want and those that don't want to dress like slobs can book with a different cruise line.

Well...that's rather insulting...stating I have a lack of decorum and manners. I'd venture to say I'm as mannerly and have as much decorum as anyone who claims they are somehow "better" than me because of the way they demand others dress in their presence.

I was taught at an early age that respect isn't something you demand. For someone to demand respect from me, particularly if it's demanded from someone I don't even know, simply will not happen.

I'm not background fodder for your delight at dinner. Dress as you like. I'll do the same and not give a 2nd thought to how you or anyone else perceives me or any of my other cruise mates who won't equate the way we dress to "manners or decorum".

If it says no shorts or swimwear on the paperwork then that is what it should be, otherwise take it off the paperwork and let people wear what they want and those that don't want to dress like slobs can book with a different cruise line.

Precisely. Many restaurants, bars, clubs - golf clubs and night clubs, have specific dress codes which you are required to adhere to be allowed in as they wish to maintain a certain standard. MSC should be consistent with enforcing the policy they have, then there wouldn't be the need to ask the question and for people to constantly debate the issue.

Well...that's rather insulting...stating I have a lack of decorum and manners. I'd venture to say I'm as mannerly and have as much decorum as anyone who claims they are somehow "better" than me because of the way they demand others dress in their presence.

I was taught at an early age that respect isn't something you demand. For someone to demand respect from me, particularly if it's demanded from someone I don't even know, simply will not happen.

I'm not background fodder for your delight at dinner. Dress as you like. I'll do the same and not give a 2nd thought to how you or anyone else perceives me or any of my other cruise mates who won't equate the way we dress to "manners or decorum".

+1.

I make an effort on formal nights, polo and khakis for instance, but I am not going further. It’s my vacation and I am going to enjoy it the way I want to. I dress up formally at my job all the time and the last thing I want to do on a cruise is get all dressed up again and remind me of my “real life” back at home. I go on cruises to escape this.

I don’t know how some people in this thread are getting suits and tuxes on in the first place with their heads so far up their own you-know-whats.