Bringing wine on board in Barcelona.

CruisingCleo

On Nov. 13 we will board the Riviera in Barcelona. We are planning to buy some nice Spanish wines and cava during our precruise stay in Barcelona, thinking about 12 bottles, so 2 boxes. Can we leave these boxes safely on the quay with the rest of our luggage (we will put the cabin number on the boxes and indicate that the content is fragile) and be brought to our cabin? Or is it a better idea to take them on board our selves with our hand luggage?

I hope some of you have experience with this.

Regards,

Mirjam

On Nov. 13 we will board the Riviera in Barcelona. We are planning to buy some nice Spanish wines and cava during our precruise stay in Barcelona, thinking about 12 bottles, so 2 boxes. Can we leave these boxes safely on the quay with the rest of our luggage (we will put the cabin number on the boxes and indicate that the content is fragile) and be brought to our cabin? Or is it a better idea to take them on board our selves with our hand luggage?

I hope some of you have experience with this.

Regards,

Mirjam

Simply label the wine boxes with same information that is included on your luggage tags, i.e the ships name, the sailing date, your name and your cabin #.

Luggage isn't "left on the quay", however, it needs to be entrusted to a Porter.

The last time we boarded in Barcelona, after security, you enter a mall which had a wine shop, where you could buy Spanish wine at decent prices. Might be worth a punt?

There are far better selections and prices at several wine shops off side streets on the Rablas.

One thing we usually do is to bring collapsible cardboard three or six pack wine transporters (used by many wineries) to carry local wines back onboard. They are only about an inch thick and <8 oz collapsed and fit easily in checked luggage.

Twice now I've come back from a tour and spent an hour or so ashore looking for a place to buy some grog. Lanzarotte on a Sunday arvo was tightly shut apart from waterfront cafes. Finally found a place in a poorer quarter where a tiny market about the size of my cabin sold me cheap but indifferent beer in a plastic bag.

Clinked all the way home.

Definitely worthwhile shopping in some of the bigger places, such as Barcelona, to lay in a store. Terminal duty free shops can be hit and miss. The prices can be higher than ashore.

Shore-bought wine can be freely consumed with meals, by the way, so long as you order room service. Worth bringing a couple of wine glasses - there was only a couple of glass tumblers in our room.

Twice now I've come back from a tour and spent an hour or so ashore looking for a place to buy some grog. Lanzarotte on a Sunday arvo was tightly shut apart from waterfront cafes. Finally found a place in a poorer quarter where a tiny market about the size of my cabin sold me cheap but indifferent beer in a plastic bag.

Clinked all the way home.

Definitely worthwhile shopping in some of the bigger places, such as Barcelona, to lay in a store. Terminal duty free shops can be hit and miss. The prices can be higher than ashore.

Shore-bought wine can be freely consumed with meals, by the way, so long as you order room service. Worth bringing a couple of wine glasses - there was only a couple of glass tumblers in our room.

Your room steward will bring you wine glasses and an opener upon request.

just ask the room steward for wine glasses they will supply them for you

just ask the room steward for wine glasses they will supply them for you
Thanks! (and those who said the same).

There was an opener already. Australians are no longer accustomed to bottles with actual corks in them, but we needed one for the bottle of sherry we bought in Seville.

I brought a couple of Glencairn whisky glasses with me; unlikely to find anything like them aboard an American ship, where the idea of drinking a single malt involves ice and a wide-mouthed tumbler. :eek:

But they seem to have perfected wine glasses.

I brought a couple of Glencairn whisky glasses with me; unlikely to find anything like them aboard an American ship, where the idea of drinking a single malt involves ice and a wide-mouthed tumbler. :eek:

DH asks for no ice straight up for his scotch

Just ask they will do their best to accommodate you

i am not sure why people are afraid to ask for what they want

worse case they can say NO

Thanks! (and those who said the same).

There was an opener already. Australians are no longer accustomed to bottles with actual corks in them, but we needed one for the bottle of sherry we bought in Seville.

Pete, some of us know better, but like it with ice anyway. I have some small snifter style scotch glasses, but don't really care for using them.