What not to eat/drink?

rentayenta

I've heard seafood is always to be avoided on cruises. Fact or fiction?

Always been happy with the scallop appetizer on the short cruises.

We avoid the Mexican buffets. Nothing Ike Mexico or our local taco joint.

The last cruise my husband and I went on, the food in the MDR wasn't very good at all. The Lido deck dinners were actually better, and they served the same menu at dinner time. We enjoyed it so much, that this cruise we are not even planning on dining in MDR at all. And as for the above comment about googling fake calamari...please do yourself a favor and don't google it if you like calamari.

The flat iron steak is very good, but you need to order it one level lower than you normally would, or it will come overcooked. I usually order medium steak. In the MDR, when I order it medium-well, it comes medium. If I order it medium, you guessed it, medium-well. Otherwise, it is an enjoyable dinner

It is kind of hit or miss with the flat iron in general. I think they just grab whichever "looks" closest to what you ordered. Being a cheaper cut of steak, it is much less forgiving to being overcooked. Like you do, I tend to order down a few levels.

Looks like the Beef Wellington should be avoided.

Thanks for the replies. Truth be told, the food pics don’t wow me. The photos are good but the food does not look exceptional. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be be cook for however many people for a week +.

Definitely do not expect to be "wowed" by the food. Keep in mind that the MDR is not cooking to order per se - this is like a giant banquet hall. That said, the food is good on the whole. If you want the wow factor, you need to consider Jijis (if you ship has it) or the Steakhouse (again, ship dependent). If you are like my DH - you may also find a "wow" moment with a Guy's burger.

It sounds like the food quality has diminished over the years... Me and wife's last cruise was 19 Years ago to this Month and I remember most everything being pretty good all around back then. Going on the Pride in a Month and hope for better than the previously aforementioned entrees

It is kind of hit or miss with the flat iron in general. I think they just grab whichever "looks" closest to what you ordered. Being a cheaper cut of steak, it is much less forgiving to being overcooked. Like you do, I tend to order down a few levels.

It is flavorful when correctly cooked. Someone who likes steak "well done" would be well-advised to avoid flat iron and ruin a filet mignon instead, as it would still be tender enough to be edible. Not so for flat iron.

Just got off a ship on Saturday. Flat Iron steak is a tough cut when prepared as an entree, I'd avoid it. The iced tea is best left untouched, IMO.

Guy's Burger was AWESOME, and I enjoyed the Pizza Pirate. The Steakhouse was well worth the extra money, as was the Seafood Shack.

I cannot imagine cooking for that many people!

I would avoid anything with ginger beer. At least at the Pride's atrium bar they use a cheap, harsh version.

Watery scrambled eggs are the worst. Gak! I will stay away. Will the omelette bar make over easy eggs or are the eggs pre-mixed?

Real eggs, made to order - my husband got "dippy eggs" at least once. If you have Blue Iguana they also do fresh eggs for the huevos rancheros. MDR does a slightly different (but also good) huevos rancheros at sea day brunch.

It sounds like the food quality has diminished over the years... Me and wife's last cruise was 19 Years ago to this Month and I remember most everything being pretty good all around back then. Going on the Pride in a Month and hope for better than the previously aforementioned entrees

Don't get too discouraged, this is a what not to eat thread;) Food is very subjective, but here are some of my thoughts from the Pride a few months ago:

• Guys and Blue Iguana were quite good. Guys burgers are very greasy, but the fries weren't as heavy (I've read you can get w/o seasoning too). BI was somewhat heavily seasoned, but very fresh.
  • Pizza was very good for a cruise ship. Since it is made to order though, there is a wait and tends to be a little undercooked.
  • I only did the deli once. It looked great, but was also long line and a little rushed/under grilled for my grilled cheese.
  • Breakfast buffet was decent and had a few surprisingly good items, but lunch and dinner were underwhelming (desserts especially).
  • MDR was adequate and had a few good items, but much was too salty or heavily sauced.
  • We did not try any of the pay venues (David's, Bonsai, or cafe for desserts), but heard very good things about David's and the desserts looked amazing at a reasonable price. The food wasn't too bad since I was always too full between meals to consider the cafe desserts.

My palate has changed a lot in 20 years, and what was good then might not be as impressive now. While I had some disappointing dishes, I also had some very good ones. Enjoy your cruise!

It is flavorful when correctly cooked. Someone who likes steak "well done" would be well-advised to avoid flat iron and ruin a filet mignon instead, as it would still be tender enough to be edible. Not so for flat iron.

Any steak, well done, is UnAmerican and the connoisseur should be jailed immediately! :'):')

Any steak, well done, is UnAmerican and the connoisseur should be jailed immediately! :'):')

Agreed! :') Note to self, order all steaks raw, we already prefer them rare. ;p

I Googled fake calamari. Ugh. Hog rectum. (n)

Calamari rings. I had some on a previous cruise and they were chewy, like chewing on rubber bands. There must be a knack to cooking them so they come out just right. Also, I've come to the conclusion that Carnival's chefs don't know how to cook flat iron steak so that it's not tough, like chewing on a shoe.

Interesting as those are two of the things that stuck out as being extra good on our cruise. And Yes, cooking calamari requires talent.

Scrambled eggs. I always forget and take a spoon of them on the first day or two, and promise myself never to eat them again. Either spend time at the omelet station or grab boiled eggs!

OMG yes! How does anybody eat them?

Most of the desserts on the lido are very bland and not good at all. The cookies and the key lime pie (if you can find it) are good though.

I wasn't a fan of the stuffed mushrooms. I usually love stuffed mushrooms and most people here say they love them on the ship, but I thought they were bad. I have only ordered them once on my first cruise though, so maybe I could give them another try.

I ordered the chicken fingers on the room service menu (for a fee) and they were like jerky. Very tough. The room service fries were just okay. Just basic fries.

I really don't think the quality has gone down. 20 years ago the ships were smaller, set dining times and had more options.

The cruise lines had to adapt. Anytime dining means you never know when a rush of 1000 people will be in the dining room all wanting steak so some of them might be sitting under a heat lamp. I also think to cut down on waste they simplified the dishes and to appeal to the general public.

Red Frog beer and the pizza. Pizza has the consistency of ketchup on cardboard.

you need to do the Chef's Table, the flour for the pizza is imported from Italy and only that flour is used for pizza. The sauce is decent and the mozzarella is also imported and delicious.

Thanks P Cruise for the input... My and Family will make the best out of it because that is what we do on cruises....

"Don't get too discouraged, this is a what not to eat thread;) Food is very subjective, but here are some of my thoughts from the Pride a few months ago:

• Guys and Blue Iguana were quite good. Guys burgers are very greasy, but the fries weren't as heavy (I've read you can get w/o seasoning too). BI was somewhat heavily seasoned, but very fresh.
  • Pizza was very good for a cruise ship. Since it is made to order though, there is a wait and tends to be a little undercooked.
  • I only did the deli once. It looked great, but was also long line and a little rushed/under grilled for my grilled cheese.
  • Breakfast buffet was decent and had a few surprisingly good items, but lunch and dinner were underwhelming (desserts especially).
  • MDR was adequate and had a few good items, but much was too salty or heavily sauced.
  • We did not try any of the pay venues (David's, Bonsai, or cafe for desserts), but heard very good things about David's and the desserts looked amazing at a reasonable price. The food wasn't too bad since I was always too full between meals to consider the cafe desserts.

My palate has changed a lot in 20 years, and what was good then might not be as impressive now. While I had some disappointing dishes, I also had some very good ones. Enjoy your cruise!

"

I really don't think the quality has gone down. 20 years ago the ships were smaller, set dining times and had more options.

The cruise lines had to adapt. Anytime dining means you never know when a rush of 1000 people will be in the dining room all wanting steak so some of them might be sitting under a heat lamp. I also think to cut down on waste they simplified the dishes and to appeal to the general public.

Agreed, I do obviously understand the circumstances governing the cooking for such a number of people, but when the food is free... we want to dream BIG :)

I strongly recommend against the "Free Cocktails." You know,the mixed drinks and beers that can be found all over the ship on various tables and counters. As it turns out, they were just unfinished drinks that other passengers left behind. :D

I kid, I kid...

I strongly recommend against the "Free Cocktails." You know,the mixed drinks and beers that can be found all over the ship on various tables and counters. As it turns out, they were just unfinished drinks that other passengers left behind. :D

I kid, I kid...