Blu for breakfast

dgcruises

I love breakfast in Blu. To be honest, I really hate breakfast in the buffet on any cruise line. When we do go, we go late to try to avoid the crowd, but sometimes that doesn't even work. Walking around and around trying to find a seat while my food is getting cold is not my idea of a good time. Personally, I could wait until late morning or early afternoon to eat, but my SO is prediabetic and needs to eat earlier, so we have some breakfast somewhere. I really enjoy the smoothies and fruit options, as well as the quiet atmosphere and good service in Blu. On days where the times don't work for us, we go elsewhere. The beauty of cruising is that there are many options available.

We have also found that the MDR is just as good if not better than Blu for breakfast. We had good service, served the same pastries and juices and the menu had more options. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That is strictly a matter of opinion. We think Blu is far superior to either the MDR or the buffet.

We no longer eat in the MDR or buffet, we eat in Luminae, Blu, or the specialty restaurants. Again, a matter of personal preference.:)

DH and I enjoy Blu for breakfast. We were concerned the first time we did Aqua that we'd find the choices restrictive, but in reality everything we like for breakfast in the buffet was available (and they were great about special orders/requests).

Do think they would do full English breakfast (incl. black pudding)? I know it's not on the menu.

Do think they would do full English breakfast (incl. black pudding)? I know it's not on the menu.

The nice thing about Blu -- if you have a special request, tell them a day or two ahead of time. For example, we asked if they could make our table of 6 Garlic Soup for dinner one evening. They made it happen, and it was very tasty. Just ask for your English specialties ahead of time. They'll be able to take care of you if they don't have it in Blu's kitchen.

This is what table-side museli is all about - it is NOT the same as the buffet. You choose what you want mixed in and the options are much better than the buffet. A few mornings they had pistachios which were amazing! The fruit and other items are much better and wider variety. You choose what you want and they make it for you right there. This photo is from the Suez Canal cruise last year so guess the change is recent.

The nice thing about Blu -- if you have a special request, tell them a day or two ahead of time. For example, we asked if they could make our table of 6 Garlic Soup for dinner one evening. They made it happen, and it was very tasty. Just ask for your English specialties ahead of time. They'll be able to take care of you if they don't have it in Blu's kitchen.

Garlic soup? My husband would love that! Is it hot or cold? Did you ask for "English garlic soup"?

Garlic soup? My husband would love that! Is it hot or cold? Did you ask for "English garlic soup"?

We've done it on 3-4 cruises in Blu. It was hot. Not sure what English garlic soup is like? It was not really thick, and each chef made it in a different version. The best we had was on Solstice back in 2009.

Where are these famous waffles in the OVC???? I enjoyed breakfast in Blu, but I love waffles. I completely agree with the person who talked about one person eating and the other holding the table then vice versa. Worst thing about the OVC

Why does Blu have to close so early in the morning? On a sea day its nice to take your time. Seems to be set up to suit the staff more than the customer.

Well, I don´t like the times either. However, in defence of the staff, I really have to say they even welcome you in a minute before closing time...

Plus, keep in mind that Blu staff works at MDR or Oceanview etc. during lunchtime and is needed to prepare the venues.

Sailed in Aqua class (free upgrade) the first time on Solstice recently and took full advantage of Blu on sea days. On port days, it didn't open early enough so it was the buffet for us.

We were skeptical about eating in Blu because we love the variety and speed of self-service in the buffet; however, we loved eating in Blu for both breakfast and dinner. Since we are early risers, Blu opening at 8 am was a little late for us but it was worth the wait. We found the service in Blu was not much slower than the self-service in the buffet but we reserved* a table for 2 that was away from the other 2 tops. Waiters usually take orders and serve all of the 2 tops sitting right next to each other as if they were 1 large table which slows things down.

As far as variety, Blu provided all of the essentials that we needed for breakfast -- namely omelets, muffins, bacon, ham, sauteed mushrooms, etc. The food came out quickly and very hot.

* we were seated at the same preferred table for both breakfast and dinner, the greeter quickly learned our preference. As a consequence, we had the same waiter for both times and he learned our preferences as well, a very pleasant experience.

Can you please tell me what was so special about the muesli?

Once upon a time they would wheel over a cart with all the possible ingredients and then a waiter (of sometimes the Maitre'd) would make your bowl of Muesli to your personal specifications. It was a nice touch, but like many "nice touches" that used to exist on Celebrity this is long gone.

Hank

Once upon a time they would wheel over a cart with all the possible ingredients and then a waiter (of sometimes the Maitre'd) would make your bowl of Muesli to your personal specifications. It was a nice touch, but like many "nice touches" that used to exist on Celebrity this is long gone.

Interestingly, the Blu page on the Celebrity website still states "Muesli – Prepared Tableside" to this day.

All right, I'll try it out.

Can you please tell me what was so special about the muesli?

When I enjoyed it in Blu, you literally made your own. How much raisins, banana's, nuts, cream or none, etc. was up to you. Whereas, Muesli in the Ocean View is like soup with milk already in it. I like to add fruit flavored yogurt to mine thus I need it dry.