Voom-making phone calls?

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I guess it was ok to talk on the phone as long as you were paying for it.

Those were approved in flight devices.  Part of the aircraft avionics package.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Probably was expensive. I have had a mobil phone since the bag phone design in the early 90's. It was for emergency use only because it was so expensive. 

Never had a bag phone, but had car phones installed in 3 vehicles.  Then had one of the bricks for a bit.

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

Never had a bag phone, but had car phones installed in 3 vehicles.  Then had one of the bricks for a bit.

A for the topic on hand in this tread...yes...Voom works well for WIFI calling...especially if you remember to do your phone settings. :classic_blink:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 10:03 AM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Yes, I have an IPhone 7 and can do all those things on the ship. FaceTime will drop out sometimes, but it worked fairly consistent on the Oasis in October. WiFi is WiFi so if you can do it at home via WiFi you will be able to do it on the ship via WiFi, just slower.

Was this with Surf only or with Surf and Stream?   I would think it doesn't matter which you have once Wi-Fi enabled but wanted to make sure...thanks.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

Was this with Surf only or with Surf and Stream?   I would think it doesn't matter which you have once Wi-Fi enabled but wanted to make sure...thanks.

While the VOOM tier won't matter much for WiFi calling, the chances are much better that you'll have more reliable service on an O3B equipped ship.

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

While the VOOM tier won't matter much for WiFi calling, the chances are much better that you'll have more reliable service on an O3B equipped ship.

We will be on Allure, which I believe is more up-to-date and I read somewhere they are using it for beta testing the chat feature with the Royal app.

Just now, Mr. Candyman said:

We will be on Allure, which I believe is more up-to-date and I read somewhere they are using it for beta testing the chat feature with the Royal app.

Yes, Harmony and Allure have the chat feature enabled in the RCI app.

2 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I read somewhere they are using it for beta testing the chat feature with the Royal app.

It just came out of beta this week. The bubble just changed from beta to three dots.  

They seem to be implementing chat much faster on Celebrity than on Royal.  They now have 4 of the six ships supported by the app, with chat enabled

Royal is still stuck on two ships out of 14.  Maybe the others will be enabled soon. 

26 minutes ago, SRF said:

The service level can make a difference for video calls (Facetime, Skype, Whatsapp, Hangouts, Messenger.)

For voice calling only, Surf should be fine.

That's sort of what I was thinking...thanks for the input.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:17 AM, Host Clarea said:

You can make and receive voice calls over VOOM if you enable WiFi calling on your phone. Do this at home, before you ge on the ship. Contact your cell carrier if you need help with this.

Why do I have to do it before I leave home?

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, Papaglejo said:

Thanks everybody. This makes me feel better about him using his phone. I just don’t want a huge cell bill when we get back from the cruise.

Remember this.  Phones are designed to go from WiFi to regular tower service, without dropping the call.  So, say you are on WiFi and the connection is lost, it will jump and than you will have a huge bill.  So, before you make any phone call, international data must be turned off, and you should place your phone in airplane mode.  Once done, make the call.  These steps will prevent the jumping of services.  WiFi works in airplane mode.