Statendam 07JAN06 Oz-NZ

CASHIPman

A bud of mine is on this trip.

He still hasn't received a cabin number and this sailing has been sold out for quite awhile. Is the ship oversold? Could he ostensibly get all the way to Sydney (from NY) only to be told, "too bad, so sad, the ship's full"?

To my knowledge HAL has never turned a passenger away at the dock. Your friend has a cabin.

It's a little late for HAL to be assigning a cabin, but it does happen this late in the game. Has he checked the Immigration form page at the HAL website lately? I have found my cabin as close as 9 days to sailing; I've read reports on CC of some people getting their's at the dock.

To my knowledge HAL has never turned a passenger away at the dock. Your friend has a cabin.

It's a little late for HAL to be assigning a cabin, but it does happen this late in the game. Has he checked the Immigration form page at the HAL website lately? I have found my cabin as close as 9 days to sailing; I've read reports on CC of some people getting their's at the dock.

Wow...so, they never overbook and have everyone show up? They must have some excellent folks in the inventory management department! If this is the case, how are cabins then assigned?

Wow...so, they never overbook and have everyone show up? They must have some excellent folks in the inventory management department! If this is the case, how are cabins then assigned?

Your friend should probably call Holland America if they're concerned. Sometimes cabin numbers will be assigned right at the pier, and since the sailing date is rapidly approaching I'd think that's the case. I've even read here that some ships sail with a few extra cabins free just in case of emergencies.

I have no idea how they manage their inventories. Very few people on this board probably do, so I can't speculate how they assign cabins. A computer probably does it.

The best thing to do is call HAL. I doubt your friend will be turned away at the pier.

Wow...so, they never overbook and have everyone show up?

Yes, and no. You were asking two questions, eh?

HAL has been known to overbook at cruise. Before sailing they get on the phone and start to offer incentives to forgo the cruise. How they get the exactly correct number of people to bite is beyond me, but they do it.

They were looking for people to switch cruises on my '01 trans-Atlantic; that cruise had been sold out a year in advance. Just recently they were offering a real nice deal to anyone who was willing to give up the 30-day Amsterdam South Pacific cruise that's ready to leave.

Now there's a cruise I wish I'd been booked on! HAL was offering a lot for that one! I'd have taken the bait.

Ruth, are you willing to share the incentives offered? How long before the cruise were they offered? I really would appreciate that information.

We are considering changing our Rotterdam South America/Antarctica cruise to a parallel segment on the Prisendam a month later. We are over a year out and the ship is already so full they are only taking guarantees in certain categories -- the rest is sold out. We would book the guarantee. The perk that we see to the switch is that the Prisendam starts out in Lima so that we could start out with a side trip to Machu Pichu (one of those on my list to do before I die), and the Prisendam also makes several stops in Chile that the Rotterdam doesn't.

Our fear is that if the Prisendam oversells (which is probably not an if but a certainty) that we will be involuntarily bumped in the last minute and end up without South America at all until 2008. Any info or advice would be welcome. If you do not wish to share on line please e-mail me at arzz@aol.com. Thanks in advance.

Ruth, are you willing to share the incentives offered? How long before the cruise were they offered? I really would appreciate that information.

As long as you recognize that this is a tax on my brain, I'll reply. :D

IIRC, the 30-day South Pacific cruise that's about to leave was overbooked. It might have been about a month ago that I read on CC that HAL was offering almost all of the World Cruise (this year? next?) in exchange for giving up the 30 days. It was something like 60+ days. No extra charge. Not bad. Not bad at all!

My '01 trans-Atlantic was sold out about a year in advance. It was posted here (and I met the poster on board) that flyingfish was offered an incentive to give up her cabin; I didn't ask what was offered.

Listen---I did a 21-day South America Rio to Valparaiso w/Antarctica cruise in Jan. '02. It was the absolute best cruise of my life; I'd love to do it again. Under no circumstances should you give up that cruise. (well, maybe illness.) Choose the ship you want now. You won't be forced off, but don't give up your cabin, either. There is nothing that will compare to this cruise. Ever.

As a matter of fact, I'm considering the first two segments of the '07 Prinsendam.

And---sad to say---there is no guarantee that you will be able to take the cruise "someday" take it when you can.

Thank you so much Ruth for replying. The info is VERY useful -- the full World cruise you say? Hmmmmmm......I might just consider that incentive if offered -- it would be a hard call.

It is the second segment of the 07 Prinsendam South America that we are considering instead of the Rotterdam in December of 06. I have wanted to circumnavigate South America since the old Regent Sea used to do it years ago and I was a poor working girl who had neither the time nor the money. I still do not have the money, but I now have the time and will do it anyway.

The Prinsendam itinerary is clearly superior to that of the Rotterdam, and, of course, staring in Lima there is Machu Pichu just waiting for us. I was only concerned that we could be forced off -- my TA has held a category E guarantee for us but she says that there are currently no actual cabin assignments left, only guarantees. She assumes there will be overbooking and some incentives offered also. Since we are already booked on the Rotterdam, I would hate to give that up to be forced out of the Prnsendam in the last minute. That said, however, I am still leaning towards the Prinsendam and willing to take my chances.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. By tomorrow my decision and committment will be made.

Is anyone familiar with a situation where a guarantee was booked, then the passenger was bumped involuntarily due to an oversell situation? Do passengers with assigned cabins have priority over people who have a guarantee (that goes against the definition of guarantee)?

Just curious ........ seems like if the cruise line did encounter an oversell situation they would keep calling booked passengers until someone took them up on an offer to rebook. They might call the guarantees first, but if you said you wanted to stay on that cruise they would keep calling other people.

Is anyone familiar with a situation where a guarantee was booked, then the passenger was bumped involuntarily due to an oversell situation?

Not on HAL. I read on CC that it did happen on another cruiseline. People arrived at the pier and were turned away.

What criteria HAL uses to choose who to call first is anybody's guess. I would bet that the single share guarantees are not called, since the two individuals have nothing to do with each other, and both would have to agree.

Funny you should ask -- First I posted here yesterday, and RuthC was kind enough to promptly answer, then I went through this carefully with my travel agent before finalizing my booking. She said that she has had calls from HAL in the past where the cruise line is looking for a volunteer. She said that no one is ever involuntarily bumped on HAL -- that even with a guarantee I am guaranteed a cabin once deposits and payments are made. What does happen, however, is that they start to call with offers when overbooking occurs. If no one takes the offer, it gets sweeter, until enough people finally give up their cabins. I was glad to hear that. To us this will be the trip of a lifetime (at least so far) and I do not want to be pushed out (unless, of course, an offer made is just too good to pass up). There is not much that would convince me to skip this cruise. We are now booked and anxiously looking forward to the cruise -- but how will I handle the anticipation for so many months? Possibly, a short, cheap cruise just to feed the addiction this summer?

Guest Celestia

On the Statendam Circle Hawaii we were, indeed, assigned our cabin number AT THE PIER.

Despite repeated requests to Seattle both from us and our travel agent, they insisted they could not furnish us with cabin number until we arrived at the port.

We got our cabin number from the surly, unpleasant dock worker who took our luggage in San Diego. This was my first impression of both the SD Cruise Ship Port *and* Holland America - NOT GOOD. We had half expected to find out we had been 'bumped' and had actually arranged for our ride to wait nearby for a phone call in case we needed them to pick us up again.

We are considering (may still cancel) another Statendam journey this year (my partner is very, very disappointed in the SOE 'improvements' and as they don't sound pleasing to me, I've left it to him to decide) and are pleased we will not sail out of SD on this trip even though it is very very conveniently located for us.

FW&FS,

Celestia

• 1 month later...

On Saturday, Feb 4 2006 HollandAmerica turned me and my companion away at the dock. The cruise had been completely paid for and a cabin number assigned. No compensation whatever has been offered. We were stranded in SYDNEY AUSTRALIA.

What did you do? Because this is the second time I have read your statement, now I would to know what you did? How did you get back home? Where did you stay in the meantime? What happened next? Thank you.

I am interested because we have a cruise there in Nov. and I don't want the same thing to happen to us. So please tell us what to do.

On Saturday, Feb 4 2006 HollandAmerica turned me and my companion away at the dock. The cruise had been completely paid for and a cabin number assigned. No compensation whatever has been offered. We were stranded in SYDNEY AUSTRALIA.

I am very sorry to hear this. I would appreciate it if you would elaborate further. What were the circumstances, what did they say to you?

Marie

For the specific reason that the cruise was oversold? Or was there a different reason?

Details, please; it would only be fair.

[quote name=RuthC

Details' date=' please; it would only be fair.

[/quote]

I agree with Ruth....more details please!!!!!!

If you were indeed STRANDED in Sydney by HAL this is very serious and does not deserve to buried at the end of another thread where people who can help you may miss it!!!

If you were indeed STRANDED in Sydney ,start a new thread.

Please forgive my lack of belief that this is not true, but if it is, there is a lot more to it. Dave if you can prove that this is the "truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth" I will make a $500 donation to Sean's Hope a charity that helps families of children with cancer.I also can say that if you are bummped with a guarantee you would be not only be paid highly for it but you would have had to sign a confidentiality agreement. Let us not get sucked in to a non proven statment. Innocent till proven guilty. (works both ways) Dave show me that I am wrong and I will happily pay for my mistake. Happy sailing to all. Alsas

The only reason that HAL could legitimately turn away a paid passenger with a room assignment would be due to IMPROPER documentation of paperwork, expiring passport, hitch in immigration, or something related to government requirements or they'd be facing major litigation.

HAL's literature states sic... "no compensation if required documents are not presented"

I'm wondering, however, how the poster got all the way to Sydney, unless the airline missed something.

This is really a puzzle.

GN

Since this person has not come back with an further explanation, I'm thinking that this story is not true. We will be on this ship in the fall and would like to know if there is a possibility of something like this happening to us. Come on Dave lets hear from you about the facts and just the facts, man!!

The roll call for this cruise is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=186637&page=3

Floridadave posted after his return the folloeing message:

Little did I know that "days away" would be days that never were.

After 2 wonderful weeks touring Australia, we were DENIED boarding by Holland America in Sydney. We did not know this until we got to the dock. It appears that the Cruise itself had been completly paid but the post cruise tour payment got mangled. Thus, because they had over-booked the cruise, this pretext was used. By the way, we were not the only ones denied boarding. Hope you all have a good time and do not get caught like we did STRANDED IN SYDNEY

This amplifies somewhat on the message that was posted here, but it still is not clear how payment foulup for a post cruise package would result in denied boarding for the cruise. I hope more information is forthcoming.

Sorry to have alarmed you.

My lawyer asks that I not give specific details at this point.

I was just responding the the statement that HAL had never denied someone at the dock who had fully paid for the cruise and had been assigned a cabin number and had the ticket/contracts and all the proper paperwork in hand.

Most likely you will not have the kind of problems we had.

The checkin people at the dock were very kind and helpful. We stayed one night at the Radisson Plaza in Sydney, had our Qantas and American Airlines tickets re-written and flew home. It was EXTREMELY UN-NERVING and disappointing. And I am still suffering from jet-lag.

My only suggestion at this point (without getting into my specific details) is to check with your travel agent and re-confirm your arrangements.

Sorry to have alarmed you.

My lawyer asks that I not give specific details at this point.

I was just responding the the statement that HAL had never denied someone at the dock who had fully paid for the cruise and had been assigned a cabin number and had the ticket/contracts and all the proper paperwork in hand.

Most likely you will not have the kind of problems we had.

The checkin people at the dock were very kind and helpful. We stayed one night at the Radisson Plaza in Sydney, had our Qantas and American Airlines tickets re-written and flew home. It was EXTREMELY UN-NERVING and disappointing. And I am still suffering from jet-lag.

My only suggestion at this point (without getting into my specific details) is to check with your travel agent and re-confirm your arrangements.

Dave,

Firstly, I'm sorry that your holiday was ruined. It shouldn't happen to anyone but we know life ain't like that!

You mention above that you were looked after by the checkin people, were put up at a good hotel and had your air tickets rewritten. That doesn't sound like you were 'left stranded in Sydney'? On the contrary, it suggests that HAL's groundcrew did everything possible to get you safely back home although you did not get to board for your cruise.

Yes, it is always sensible to check travel arrangements and re-confirm details with your travel agent. In this case, reading between the lines, it sounds like your TA messed up big time. Again, in a perfect world that shouldn't happen but when it does then the blame must be laid squarely on the head of the TA... not on Holland America Line.

I hope you are able to get a full refund from your TA.

Stephen

The statement you quoted was mine. And to be perfectly accurate it said "to my knowledge". At the time I posted it I had never heard of anyone being denied boarding a HAL ship solely because the ship was oversold.

From what you did say about your reasons for being denied boarding that was not the reason for you, either.

Archived